Author Topic: Polish Orthodox Church working to open spiritual libraries in prisons  (Read 115 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church this week commenced a program called «Liberation through Literature», an outreach initiative aimed to establish libraries with spiritual materials in correctional facilities around the country.

The program is managed by the Sts. Cyril & Methodius Orthodox Cultural Center in Warsaw.

https://www.orthodoxianewsagency.gr/foreignnews/polish-orthodox-church-working-to-open-spiritual-libraries-in-prisons/?fbclid=IwAR1MyonJ9Pi4BkcQfVCJW3kVmHH84tWDqzUFrmKEI5nPIYaPWN-qZ8seDzk
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Polish Orthodox Church working to open spiritual libraries in prisons
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
It's not the first initiative of the POC for prisoners; there are also regular chaplains plus courses of painting icons, also visitis to monasteries for helping monks/nuns etc. :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »
Wonderful! :)
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:42 PM »
This is excellent.

I don't know about the Polish penal system and if their sentencing is harsh enough to keep people in long enough to do this, but I am also a fan of those programs that allow long- and life-term prisoners to become tonsured as monks, converting prison cells into monastic cells.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
This is excellent.

I don't know about the Polish penal system and if their sentencing is harsh enough to keep people in long enough to do this, but I am also a fan of those programs that allow long- and life-term prisoners to become tonsured as monks, converting prison cells into monastic cells.

Well, I'm neither knowlegable in this area, but this idea remins me very nice book (btw recommended to me by an Orthodox nun) about Clayton Fountain :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
This is excellent.

+1

I would not propose limiting such a scheme to long term prisoners however.  Let us consider the scenario of a man who engaged in domestic violence, severely injuring his wife, and thus, justly  divorced by her and imprisoned for say, five years, with possible early release.  This is a man with poor control over the passions, who might become homeless when released, and who might struggle to reintegrate with society; this is also a man who due to conditions within prisons might, within the prison system, without the option of diversion into an in-prison vocations program like what you describe, might instead join one of the prison gangs and thus become a career criminal involved in drugs, larceny, and so on.

These short sentence prisoners, who were imprisoned for succumbing to the passions, strike me as being particularly able to benefit; they are not a “captive audience,” and they are at grave risk for recidivism (and thus a public safety risk) because prison is not going to, in most cases, help tame these passions, and indeed a prisoner who for whatever reason became involved in additional criminality within prison, for example, drugs, is someone who could greatly use a safe place to go on release, a monastery, where the focus is on training through prayer to overcome the passions and attain to theosis.

Online Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
This is excellent.

Well, I'm neither knowlegable in this area, but this idea remins me very nice book (btw recommended to me by an Orthodox nun) about Clayton Fountain :)

You and Agabus come across as angelic to me for the extreme compassion that underlies this post.  It is just simply beautiful to see Orthodox Christians being so beautifully Christian and right-glorifying our Lord. :)

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
This is excellent.

+1

I would not propose limiting such a scheme to long term prisoners however.  Let us consider the scenario of a man who engaged in domestic violence, severely injuring his wife, and thus, justly  divorced by her and imprisoned for say, five years, with possible early release.  This is a man with poor control over the passions, who might become homeless when released, and who might struggle to reintegrate with society; this is also a man who due to conditions within prisons might, within the prison system, without the option of diversion into an in-prison vocations program like what you describe, might instead join one of the prison gangs and thus become a career criminal involved in drugs, larceny, and so on.

These short sentence prisoners, who were imprisoned for succumbing to the passions, strike me as being particularly able to benefit; they are not a “captive audience,” and they are at grave risk for recidivism (and thus a public safety risk) because prison is not going to, in most cases, help tame these passions, and indeed a prisoner who for whatever reason became involved in additional criminality within prison, for example, drugs, is someone who could greatly use a safe place to go on release, a monastery, where the focus is on training through prayer to overcome the passions and attain to theosis.

Since I am not part of such a program, I do not know how long-term the prisoners in question are. But length of tenure is a consideration in some programs (Orthodox are not the only ones who have them; they are just the ones I have followed in recent years) because concerns about formation. I suppose if someone was willing to spring from prison straight to a monastery, and they would be willing to take him and parole officials were agreeable, that would be all the better.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
This is excellent.

You and Agabus come across as angelic to me for the extreme compassion that underlies this post.  It is just simply beautiful to see Orthodox Christians being so beautifully Christian and right-glorifying our Lord. :)

I'm much more of a scumbag than you give me credit for.