Author Topic: Pagan monotheists?  (Read 842 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Pagan monotheists?
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:41:42 PM »
Have there been any, since the days of Egyptian sun worship?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Pagan monotheists?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
The modern Tengrist revival has shades of monotheism though I don't know how strict it is. I think you could argue that some modern Daoists qualify as well.

Though my guess would be that depending on how strict your criteria are, you're not going to find a lot of pagans that are more than henotheists.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Alin

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »
Maybe zoroastrianism, they believe that there is one universal, transcendent, supreme God, Ahura Mazda. Zoroaster claimed that Ahura Mazda is almighty not omnipotent. This is what i read.
(Ahura means "Being" and Mazda means "Mind" in a sacred Old Iranian language called Avestan). Zoroaster keeps the two attributes separate as two different concepts in most of the Gathas(are 17 Avestan hymns believed to have been composed by Zarathusthra (Zoroaster) himself. They form the core of the Zoroastrian liturgy ) and also consciously uses a masculine word for one concept and a feminine for the other, as if to distract from an anthropomorphism of his divinity.
Most of this stuff is from wikipedia.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:05:07 PM »
Platonism was basically monotheistic- other gods were seen as emanations from the One. Many important schools of Hindu philosophy had a similar concept. And yes, mainstream Daoism could be construed that way too.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 09:08:38 PM »
This is a very difficult question because we can call Abrahamic religions monotheistic because we draw a clear line between the Godhead and other spiritual beings. Since Pagan religions are totally different systems even when they still focus on a supreme being, it's very hard to make an analogous distinction.

To give a more crude example (as opposed to the sophisticated "philosophical religions" already mentioned), the Yoruba worship a pantheon of orishas while recognising Olorun as a supreme deity from which everything that exists, including the orishas, emanates. I imagine close peoples like the Fon and Igbo might have similar ideas. The Maasai also have many gods and totems while recognising a single one as the ultimate reality, encompassing both good and evil (which has an uncanny parallels with the Hellenistic worship of Abraxas). Chinese heaven-worship, like Turkic/Mongolian heaven-worship (Tengrism as Volnutt mentioned) may also add monotheistic tones to a system with lesser deities.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
That sounds akin to the 'soft polytheism' of several neopagan groups. 'All gods are one God, and all goddesses are one Goddess, and the one God and one Goddess are two sides of the One Source of all' - in which invoking a particular deity is seen as simply working with the particular aspect of Deity.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:53:43 AM »
That sounds akin to the 'soft polytheism' of several neopagan groups. 'All gods are one God, and all goddesses are one Goddess, and the one God and one Goddess are two sides of the One Source of all' - in which invoking a particular deity is seen as simply working with the particular aspect of Deity.

This probably has a lot to do with the influence from Theosophy, Golden Dawn, etc.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
This is a very difficult question because we can call Abrahamic religions monotheistic because we draw a clear line between the Godhead and other spiritual beings. Since Pagan religions are totally different systems even when they still focus on a supreme being, it's very hard to make an analogous distinction.

To give a more crude example (as opposed to the sophisticated "philosophical religions" already mentioned), the Yoruba worship a pantheon of orishas while recognising Olorun as a supreme deity from which everything that exists, including the orishas, emanates. I imagine close peoples like the Fon and Igbo might have similar ideas. The Maasai also have many gods and totems while recognising a single one as the ultimate reality, encompassing both good and evil (which has an uncanny parallels with the Hellenistic worship of Abraxas). Chinese heaven-worship, like Turkic/Mongolian heaven-worship (Tengrism as Volnutt mentioned) may also add monotheistic tones to a system with lesser deities.

Yeah, there is an important difference between having a supreme being among beings, and a completely transcendent God.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:32:54 PM »
I believe that some traditional eastern African religions are at least somewhat monotheistic in their outlook, focusing on one overall divine being.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »

Aren't the guarani indigenous from South America monotheists? As far as I remember they believe in this supreme entity named Nhanderú (Nhande - inclusive our, Rú - father).

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »
Yeah, some Tupians do believe Nhanderuvuçu is a supreme deity which created Tupã (which is often assumed to be the actual supreme deity), but I'm not sure if their cosmogony emphasises his role any more than, say, the Ancient Greeks emphasised Chaos.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline KostaC

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 12:16:58 AM »
This is cheating, but there were pagans who sympathized with Judaism and wanted to align their beliefs and rituals with Judaism as close as possible without converting.
"It is possible that the native Cappadocian cult of Zeus Sabazios slowly integrated into the cult of Jahve Sabaoth practiced by the numerous and intellectually predominant Jewish colonies, and that associations (sodalicia, thiasoi) of strict monotheists formed, who fraternized with the Jews, but who considered themselves free from the Mosaic Law. The importance and exalted ideas of these associations can be gathered from the fact that when someone asked Apollo of Klaros whether the Hypsistos alone was without beginning and end, he answered: 'He is the Lord of all, self-originated, self-produced, ruling all things in some ineffable way, encompassing the heavens, spreading out the earth, riding on the waves of the sea; mixing fire with water, soil with air and earth with fire; of winter, summer, autumn and spring, causing the changes in their season, leading all things towards the light and settling their fate in harmonious order.'"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsistarians

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 12:42:29 AM »
Platonism was basically monotheistic- other gods were seen as emanations from the One. Many important schools of Hindu philosophy had a similar concept. And yes, mainstream Daoism could be construed that way too.

Indeed.

Although strictly speaking, wouldn’t it be semantically ideal to restrict the use of the word Paganism to the conceptually related old religions of the Roman Empire, to which Interpretatio Graeca could be  easily reconciled* and within which proto-Gnostic religions like Neoplatonism did exist in a non-polytheistic manner? 

*I would argue Zoroastrianism is not per se Pagan,  but rather an edge case with Pagan relatives such as the Chaldean religion and the Mithraic cults within the Roman Empire, but also with relations to the Abrahamic faith.  And when we get to Daoism, while one could liken Chinese folk religion to Roman religion, is classical Daoism even remotely operating in the same thought-space as the Pagan religions of the region surrounding Rome? 

** I would also perhaps be inclined to consider the idea that the Pagan label is not useful for purposes of religious study due to the ambiguous definitions thereof, with contemporary religions relatively unrelated to the ancient Egyptian, Hellenic, Chaldean, Roman and Germanic religions, like Wicca, falling under its umbrella; the use of the term in particular seems possibly detrimental to Christianity, because it provides a vast array of dangerous, anti-Christian cults a way of simply declaring their non-Christian nature and thus more readily ensnaring those who are in a crisis of faith.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 09:54:44 AM »
Many important schools of Hindu philosophy had a similar concept.

The school of Hinduism with which I am conversant believe all the members of their "pantheon" are avatars of Vishnu.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:55:00 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
KostaC: Samaritanism also came up through a, let's say, more complete attempt, as narrated in the Scriptures.