OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official stance of the RCC on orthodoxy  (Read 6911 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »

We love orthodoxy

If you love Orthodoxy, why not join?  Wink

I have never heard of any Orthodox Bishop or priest knowing allow a Catholic to receive Holy Communion.

In my church, Holy Confession is a prerequisite.  Therefore, when an "unknown" face comes up for Communion, Father knows he has not heard their Confession and they are asked to kiss the Chalice, but, do not receive the Gifts.

Other churches do not have Holy Confession as a prerequisite....and people simply crowd forward.  The priest may not know who is who and may offer the Gifts to non-Orthodox.  The same may hold true of Bishops.  They are always visting parishes and they would have NO way of knowing if those approaching are Orthodox or not.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »

From a moderator standpoint what I see is EM trying to substantiate that intercommunion is an on going happening more than just someone receiving at an integral moment in their life.  That is why I am asking her for the source because we are all aware of what the RCC says in it's missals and such. -username! section moderator

I don't believe there is any "official" documentary evidence in either the Catholic or Orthodox Churches that Mary can provide as so-called "proof".  Anything that she or others would provide would basically be anecdotal.  For instance....my wife has a plethora of family members in Pennsylvania;  most are Byzantine Catholic;  a few are Roman Catholic;  even fewer still are Orthodox; almost *all* of them not infrequently attend Liturgy in all 3 churches mentioned--ByzCath, RC, and OC--obviously not simultaneously  Cheesy.  The communities they live in and visit and attend Liturgies in are small.  The priests (and bishops) tend to know everyone and everyone tends to know them.  They know who's who and what's what.  They (my wife's family members) commune in all the above churches, with the knowledge and consent of the priests (and bishops) who know they are what they are.  This is, rightly or wrongly, licitly or illicitly, canonically or uncanonically, officially or unofficially, and whether anyone *here* likes it or not----intercommunion.

To quote Wyatt from above: "We [and they] love orthodoxy."

None of the Orthodox and Greek Catholics (ukies or carpies) inter-commune in my area.  The Greek Catholics might come to a pierogi supper and the occasional to a service they don't commune.

I've only reported what I know.  Cannot and will not speak for your area.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

We love orthodoxy

I have never heard of any Orthodox Bishop or priest knowing allow a Catholic to receive Holy Communion.

In my church, Holy Confession is a prerequisite.  Therefore, when an "unknown" face comes up for Communion, Father knows he has not heard their Confession and they are asked to kiss the Chalice, but, do not receive the Gifts.

Other churches do not have Holy Confession as a prerequisite....and people simply crowd forward.  The priest may not know who is who and may offer the Gifts to non-Orthodox.  The same may hold true of Bishops.  They are always visting parishes and they would have NO way of knowing if those approaching are Orthodox or not.

Obviously I cannot speak for Wyatt.  Personally, I tried Orthodoxy.  I prefer and love orthodoxy. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »

From a moderator standpoint what I see is EM trying to substantiate that intercommunion is an on going happening more than just someone receiving at an integral moment in their life.  That is why I am asking her for the source because we are all aware of what the RCC says in it's missals and such. -username! section moderator

I don't believe there is any "official" documentary evidence in either the Catholic or Orthodox Churches that Mary can provide as so-called "proof".  Anything that she or others would provide would basically be anecdotal.  For instance....my wife has a plethora of family members in Pennsylvania;  most are Byzantine Catholic;  a few are Roman Catholic;  even fewer still are Orthodox; almost *all* of them not infrequently attend Liturgy in all 3 churches mentioned--ByzCath, RC, and OC--obviously not simultaneously  Cheesy.  The communities they live in and visit and attend Liturgies in are small.  The priests (and bishops) tend to know everyone and everyone tends to know them.  They know who's who and what's what.  They (my wife's family members) commune in all the above churches, with the knowledge and consent of the priests (and bishops) who know they are what they are.  This is, rightly or wrongly, licitly or illicitly, canonically or uncanonically, officially or unofficially, and whether anyone *here* likes it or not----intercommunion.

None of the Orthodox and Greek Catholics (ukies or carpies) inter-commune in my area.  The Greek Catholics might come to a pierogi supper and the occasional to a service they don't commune.

While we don't cast the evil eye at each other, or cross the street in front of each other's churches and we even attend things like choral concerts and cultural things, support each others picnics etc.... I am absolutely unaware of ANY intercommunion in my area or any other area where there are ACROD parishes. Thanks to the diligent efforts and prayers of our departed hierarchs, we have learned to first live with each other and secondly to better understand each other.

Here here! Well said.  Considering you have to drive through the one Greek Catholic parish's parking lot to get to the ACROD (ok the one side of it is an alley but still) you can gather there is no inter-communion.  That ACROD church just didn't build itself out of the Ruthenian Catholic parish for nothing.

My Ukie parish and the Greek Catholic parish a few miles up the road for sure don't share communion.  Most of us still have family members that attend the GC parish.  No inter communion there.  

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »

I don't understand people who hop around.  Why not make up your minds?

In my opinion, the folks who have "no problem" attending all these various churches don't truly understand either one.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »

We love orthodoxy

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »

We love orthodoxy

With that, I concur as well.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »

In my opinion, the folks who have "no problem" attending all these various churches don't truly understand either one.

Well...who's to say?  Or judge?  Some of these folks are very highly catechized  (as much or more than many of the very knowledgeable and insightful people who post on this board, myself obviously included) and actually some teach catechesis!  One of my wife's ByzCath cousins teaches catechism classes at the......Orthodox church!  Eeeeekk  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Are you saying, too, that the priests who commune them "don't truly understand either one"?

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

Well...who's to say?  Or judge?  Some of these folks are very highly catechized  (as much or more than many of the very knowledgeable and insightful people who post on this board, myself obviously included) and actually some teach catechesis!  One of my wife's ByzCath cousins teaches catechism classes at the......Orthodox church!  Eeeeekk  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Are you saying, too, that the priests who commune them "don't truly understand either one"?

Ok so in Pittsburgh you are reporting a long-standing inter-communion exists?  Just curious because you sound like you are from there... the only places I have heard the same stories were in Pittsburgh. 
I know when the Revised Divine Liturgy happened a lot of my friend's Byzantine Catholic parish including him left for Orthodoxy. 
Pittsburgh is its own world.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »

From a moderator standpoint what I see is EM trying to substantiate that intercommunion is an on going happening more than just someone receiving at an integral moment in their life.  That is why I am asking her for the source because we are all aware of what the RCC says in it's missals and such. -username! section moderator

I don't believe there is any "official" documentary evidence in either the Catholic or Orthodox Churches that Mary can provide as so-called "proof".  Anything that she or others would provide would basically be anecdotal.  For instance....my wife has a plethora of family members in Pennsylvania;  most are Byzantine Catholic;  a few are Roman Catholic;  even fewer still are Orthodox; almost *all* of them not infrequently attend Liturgy in all 3 churches mentioned--ByzCath, RC, and OC--obviously not simultaneously  Cheesy.  The communities they live in and visit and attend Liturgies in are small.  The priests (and bishops) tend to know everyone and everyone tends to know them.  They know who's who and what's what.  They (my wife's family members) commune in all the above churches, with the knowledge and consent of the priests (and bishops) who know they are what they are.  This is, rightly or wrongly, licitly or illicitly, canonically or uncanonically, officially or unofficially, and whether anyone *here* likes it or not----intercommunion.

Well...who's to say?  Or judge?  Some of these folks are very highly catechized  (as much or more than many of the very knowledgeable and insightful people who post on this board, myself obviously included) and actually some teach catechesis!  One of my wife's ByzCath cousins teaches catechism classes at the......Orthodox church!  Eeeeekk  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ok so in Pittsburgh you are reporting a long-standing inter-communion exists?  Just curious because you sound like you are from there... the only places I have heard the same stories were in Pittsburgh.  
I know when the Revised Divine Liturgy happened a lot of my friend's Byzantine Catholic parish including him left for Orthodoxy.  

Ahhh....so you *have* heard of intercommunion before?!  Interesting!  I recall other people on this board reporting that such intercommunion is also not at all unheard of in a number of places in Europe, mainly Central and Eastern Europe.

I am not from Pittsburgh.  Most of my wife's family that I'm referring to live in Western PA--some in the Pittsburgh area.  

"Pittsburgh is its own world"--what, totally cut off from the rest of the planet??  I know it's a pretty unique area and I love it--may even move up there one day (watch out  Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes Grin!!), but as far as I know it's still subject to the laws of gravity, the laws of the Church, etc.  Or...have those all been suspended there by way of some form of special dispensation from both Churches??

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:52:33 AM by J Michael » Logged

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

From a moderator standpoint what I see is EM trying to substantiate that intercommunion is an on going happening more than just someone receiving at an integral moment in their life.  That is why I am asking her for the source because we are all aware of what the RCC says in it's missals and such. -username! section moderator

I don't believe there is any "official" documentary evidence in either the Catholic or Orthodox Churches that Mary can provide as so-called "proof".  Anything that she or others would provide would basically be anecdotal.  For instance....my wife has a plethora of family members in Pennsylvania;  most are Byzantine Catholic;  a few are Roman Catholic;  even fewer still are Orthodox; almost *all* of them not infrequently attend Liturgy in all 3 churches mentioned--ByzCath, RC, and OC--obviously not simultaneously  Cheesy.  The communities they live in and visit and attend Liturgies in are small.  The priests (and bishops) tend to know everyone and everyone tends to know them.  They know who's who and what's what.  They (my wife's family members) commune in all the above churches, with the knowledge and consent of the priests (and bishops) who know they are what they are.  This is, rightly or wrongly, licitly or illicitly, canonically or uncanonically, officially or unofficially, and whether anyone *here* likes it or not----intercommunion.

Well...who's to say?  Or judge?  Some of these folks are very highly catechized  (as much or more than many of the very knowledgeable and insightful people who post on this board, myself obviously included) and actually some teach catechesis!  One of my wife's ByzCath cousins teaches catechism classes at the......Orthodox church!  Eeeeekk  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ok so in Pittsburgh you are reporting a long-standing inter-communion exists?  Just curious because you sound like you are from there... the only places I have heard the same stories were in Pittsburgh.  

Ahhh....so you *have* heard of intercommunion before?!  Interesting!  I recall other people on this board reporting that such intercommunion is also not at all unheard of in a number of places in Europe, mainly Central and Eastern Europe.

I am not from Pittsburgh.  Most of my wife's family that I'm referring to live in Western PA--some in the Pittsburgh area.  

"Pittsburgh is its own world"--what, totally cut off from the rest of the planet??  I know it's a pretty unique area and I love it--may even move up there one day (watch out  Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes Grin!!), but as far as I know it's still subject to the laws of gravity, the laws of the Church, etc.  Or...have those all been suspended there by way of some form of special dispensation from both Churches??

No I've never heard inter-communion.  Just that people will go to their wives byzcath church for a while then go to the orthodox for a while.  I've never myself have heard them say they receive in both churches.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »

No I've never heard inter-communion.  Just that people will go to their wives byzcath church for a while then go to the orthodox for a while.  I've never myself have heard them say they receive in both churches.

Not to pick too many nits that are too small, but you *did* say, "...the only places I have heard the same stories were in Pittsburgh."  And we *were* talking about intercommunion.  Or so the words in these posts have led me to believe.

And, just because you never "heard them say...." does not mean it didn't happen.  Doesn't mean it did, either, but my point about that is that you can't draw a conclusion about it one way or the other based just the fact that they went to the others' church.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

....and since you didn't see it happen, only heard about it..... Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

God have mercy upon the Orthodox priest who knowingly gives the Holy Gifts to non-Orthodox.  Yes, I would say he also does NOT know about his own Faith.

....and I am NOT judging.....I am stating a fact.  ....because if they DID, they wouldn't be doing this.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:19:59 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »

God have mercy upon the Orthodox priest who knowingly gives the Holy Gifts to non-Orthodox.  Yes, I would say he also does NOT know about his own Faith.

....and I am NOT judging.....I am stating a fact.  ....because if they DID, they wouldn't be doing this.

I'm not qualified to say.  Maybe the priests in Western Pa. (which username claims is in a world of its own  Roll Eyes--well, Pittsburgh, anyway  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes), and various places in Europe where intercommunion reportedly occurs fairly regularly just aren't very good or very well educated priests.  Or maybe they know something that many others are not willing to admit.  But, what do I know  angel?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:28:53 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »

I like to think that what my wife and her family tell me is truthful.  Go figure  Roll Eyes.

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

We love orthodoxy
I was actually responding to the thread title, which says "orthodoxy" and not "Orthodoxy," but I know that you are referring to the Eastern Orthodox Church here. Unfortunately, just joining is not that simple. I admire and respect the Orthodox Church, but I cannot dislike my own Church enough to leave, nor can I abandon all of the beliefs that I have now which separate us.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »

If I may ask, which beliefs are these that keep you so solidly RC?

...not being mean, just honestly curious.

—St. Isaac of Syria
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

I like to think that what my wife and her family tell me is truthful.  Go figure  Roll Eyes.

I don't know some in-laws you gotta wonder....... har har har..........

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

Personally, I tried Orthodoxy. 

You've got me there. I've never tried Orthodoxy (in the sense of joining it, I mean).

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Well, there's in-laws and out-laws.  I call my in-laws out-laws.  But they mutated differently from the Western Pa. folks  laugh laugh laugh.

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »

Well, there's in-laws and out-laws.  I call my in-laws out-laws.  But they mutated differently from the Western Pa. folks  laugh laugh laugh.

I think we've all contemplated if we missed our chance to be a desert hermit at one point in life (with the cave having air conditioning). 

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

If I may ask, which beliefs are these that keep you so solidly RC?

...not being mean, just honestly curious.
There are beliefs that I would have to renounce to become Eastern Orthodox that I either A. don't have a problem with, or B. believe strongly and could not in good conscience give up. I'm sure you know the list as it's a familiar one: filioque, purgatory, unique role of the Bishop of Rome in the Church, the Immaculate Conception, etc. Now granted, I am already imperfectly in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Communion as my Church teaches...otherwise my Church would not permit me to receive the Eucharist in an Eastern Orthodox Church, which I am allowed to do (although I would not since that would be against you guys' rules). However, in order for me to be in full communion with your Church according to the criteria of your Church, I would have to renounce belief in doctrines that I cannot give up. That would be quite a difficult mental feat, as I have already had to reprogram myself to accept the teachings of Catholicism since I was Protestant all my life before joining the Catholic Church. Trying to un-believe teachings that I spent a lot of time studying and ultimately accepting would feel like backtracking. That may sound silly, but transitioning from a largely evangelical Protestant background to Catholicism is quite a journey.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:36:53 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »

You've got me there. I've never tried Orthodoxy (in the sense of joining it, I mean).

Perhaps the way I phrased that wasn't the best.

It's not that I never considered becoming Orthodox. I did. But I never considered becoming Orthodox just to try it.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »

Perhaps the way I phrased that wasn't the best.

It's not that I never considered becoming Orthodox. I did. But I never considered becoming Orthodox just to try it.

Why would you?  Consider converting "just to try it", that is.  I take you as a far more serious and sincere person than to do something like that.  As far as I'm concerned, it would be flippant and disrespectful to *any* faith to consider joining just to try it out.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:57:32 PM by J Michael » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

We love orthodoxy

With that, I concur as well.

Don't they simply ask a strange face if they are Orthodox? At least, that is what happened to me in Greece.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Not when there's a few hundred people approaching.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

Um actually, that is incorrect. In all cases of my experience, there were a few hundred people approaching. Even my husband, approaching with the men and who looks more likely to be Greek than I, was asked. 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, it would be flippant and disrespectful to *any* faith to consider joining just to try it out.

I agree, but there are a lot of flippant people.

Just consider Fr. J Steele's (in)famous statement that "the OICWR crowd" should convert to Orthodoxy.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, it would be flippant and disrespectful to *any* faith to consider joining just to try it out.

Just consider Fr. J Steele's (in)famous statement that "the OICWR crowd" should convert to Orthodoxy.

? acronym means what? Thanks! Smiley
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »

Orthodox in communion with Rome, I think.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »

Um actually, that is incorrect. In all cases of my experience, there were a few hundred people approaching. Even my husband, approaching with the men and who looks more likely to be Greek than I, was asked. 

Then...that responsibility lies with the priest...and he will answer for it one day.

—St. Isaac of Syria
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

Then...that responsibility lies with the priest...and he will answer for it one day.

Which day?  and to whom?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »

He will answer for his wrong doings, as we all will, on the final day of Judgement, to God.

—St. Isaac of Syria
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »

He will answer for his wrong doings, as we all will, on the final day of Judgement, to God.

I thought as much.  Have you given some thought to the reality that by then there will be no schism?

Does it ever cross your mind that as we defend across schismatic lines that we are NONE of us pleasing to God?

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »

Have you given some thought to the reality that by then there will be no schism?

Reality? So you know what the future holds with such certainty? Only God knows if there will be schism or unity on that day.

Does it ever cross your mind that as we defend across schismatic lines that we are NONE of us pleasing to God?

Depends on who is canonical and Orthodox, and who is schismatic. I know which side I'm on.  angel
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »

I don't understand your comment. What will he answer for? Checking that a foreign looking woman was Orthodox before communing her? Isn't he supposed to do that?

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »

OICWR= Orthodox In Crimea of the Welsh Rite

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

I don't understand your comment. What will he answer for? Checking that a foreign looking woman was Orthodox before communing her? Isn't he supposed to do that?

I am referring to the priest who knowingly gives the Holy Gifts to non-Orthodox.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »

Yes. If you want to read his whole offensive post:

The OICWR crowd is a tiny but vocal minority resident mostly online at ByzCath. They are not representative of the countless good Eastern Catholics one finds in church on Sunday.

I would beg to differ that these malcontents do not display a toxic anti-Westernism. That is pretty much all they are about, save a tenuous and virtually meaningless communion with Rome.

Most dox. And they should, in the interest of honesty.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

I thought as much.  Have you given some thought to the reality that by then there will be no schism?

I agree that there won't be schism on the day of Judgement, but I don't know you're asking.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »

There are plenty who would be willing to intercommune with you (TEC, ELCA, United Methodists, etc).

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »

The OICWR crowd is a tiny but vocal minority resident mostly online at ByzCath. They are not representative of the countless good Eastern Catholics one finds in church on Sunday.

I would beg to differ that these malcontents do not display a toxic anti-Westernism. That is pretty much all they are about, save a tenuous and virtually meaningless communion with Rome.

People are strange, aren't we?

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:35 PM »

Where are you getting the above quote?

Most don't go Orthodox.  Most stay Greek Catholic.  It's their choice and their life.  Their parishes are just as tight knit and have the same culture and so forth that the Orthodox Church across the street has.
Except they;
don't own their parish building the diocese holds the deed
don't pay their priest salary directly, the diocese (eparchy) does
the list can go on
My fav story;
friend is an Orthodox priest but his father in law is a Greek Catholic priest
His f-i-l said "when a window breaks in an Orthodox rectory it takes 3 parish council meetings to decide to do it meanwhile while harassing the priest about the heating bill going up because the window hasn't been fixed and then they have to find the person who will do it for the cheapest, When my window breaks I just call up and have it replaced and the chuch draws up the cheque"

That statement says a lot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:10:47 PM by username! » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »

Where are you getting the above quote?

Most don't go Orthodox.

Good luck telling Fr. Steele that. Grin In any case, personally I find it stranger that he, a Roman Catholic priest, said they should convert to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:22:49 PM by Peter J » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: