Author Topic: Duhul Sfant vs. Duhul Preasfant  (Read 122 times)

Offline iohanne

Duhul Sfant vs. Duhul Preasfant
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Is there a difference in the meaning between 'Duhul Sfânt' and 'Duh Preasfânt'?  I accidentally stumbled across what appears to be a non-Orthodox Romanian evangelical hymn, and I noticed they used the latter term.  Does the prefix 'prea-' change or add anything to the meaning at all?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:36:04 PM by iohanne »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Re: Duhul Sfant vs. Duhul Preasfant
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
 “Preasfânt” means “most holy”
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
Is that an importation from Slavonic?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline iohanne

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
“Preasfânt” means “most holy”

Thank you very much, augustin717!

Is that an importation from Slavonic?

If you are referring to the word duh, then yes.  I do believe it came from дух / duch, depending on the Slavic language in question, and it does mean something like breath, spirit, smell or ghost, similar to the wide range of meanings that exists for the words in Latin spiritus, the Greek pneuma, or Arabic/Syriac/Hebrew rūḥ/rūħo/ruaħ.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:25:11 AM by iohanne »