Author Topic: Reading to Dogs  (Read 344 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Reading to Dogs
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:55:48 AM »
I saw this on Newsround this morning and had to look it up when I came back from dropping off the young one. (The article is a couple of months old and Celyn has grown a lot!)

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/meet-labradoodle-puppy-helping-llandudno-15790581

Apparently, the idea is taking off.

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/barkandread

I remember seeing this here and there for the last couple of years, but finding an actual school initiative around the idea gave me all the warm fuzzies. Maybe it's time to rope in the family pet at home too. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline isxodnik

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
Re: Reading to Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
My father brought a dog from the army, a German shepherd. I rode on top of it )) But the dog in the house is the inevitable mud.
Оскверняются путие eго на всяко время, отъемлются судьбы Твоя от лица eго, всеми враги своими обладает. (Psalm 9:26)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »
I saw this on Newsround this morning and had to look it up when I came back from dropping off the young one. (The article is a couple of months old and Celyn has grown a lot!)

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/meet-labradoodle-puppy-helping-llandudno-15790581

Apparently, the idea is taking off.

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/barkandread

I remember seeing this here and there for the last couple of years, but finding an actual school initiative around the idea gave me all the warm fuzzies. Maybe it's time to rope in the family pet at home too. ;D

My cat would sit on the piano when my mother played it.  There were certain pieces of music he liked, including various hymns, Christmas carols (excepf Joy to the World), some composifions of my mother, Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata, and other pieces.  If my mother started to play a piece of music he disliked while he was sitting on the piano, he would extend a paw through a gap in the carved wood music stand (that the musical scores, hymnals, music books, compositions and sheet music are placed on for the pianist to refer to), and knock whatever was sitting there (and thus being played) on the floor.  My mother had another older piano with a solid wood music stand, but it had a severe technical fault of some sort and thus my cat became the official censor of music for a time.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
They have that at my library every week.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

Leave me alone, I was only singing

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
In my county they have this program with therapy dogs.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »
First I LOL'd, then I realised it was about children and I :3'd
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth