Author Topic: I think Patriarch Bartholomew just Repudiated Apostolic Canon 34  (Read 567 times)

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
So in a very long and wide-ranging interview almost a month ago in a Serbian magazine, he said:

Of course, we also take into account Canon 34 of the Holy Apostles, but this canon refers to the bishops of each nation, who should recognize their protos as head and not do anything without his opinion and, correspondingly, the first of each nation should not do anything without the opinion of his bishops.

This canon seeks to ensure unity and concord within the local Church. It is not a canon that concerns the relations between the local Churches, but rather the internal governance of a local Church. Therefore, it does not refer to the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s relationship with the other Churches.

Source, with links to Greek and Serbian versions: https://orthodoxsynaxis.org/2019/03/16/has-patriarch-bartholomew-repudiated-apostolic-canon-34/

This is quite serious.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: I think Patriarch Bartholomew just Repudiated Apostolic Canon 34
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
Turning the “universal Church” into a corporate structure rather than being content with it being the communion of all the Churches throughout the world was a big mistake.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
Turning the “universal Church” into a corporate structure rather than being content with it being the communion of all the Churches throughout the world was a big mistake.

Hasn't the Church since it's inception been, in the most literal sense of the word "corporate", a corporate structure? The problem is the feet and hands keep wanting to be the Head.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »

Hasn't the Church since it's inception been, in the most literal sense of the word "corporate", a corporate structure? The problem is the feet and hands keep wanting to be the Head.

What I meant was the idea of a “universal Church” having a structure like diocesan (bishop and priests/deacons) and regional (metropolitan/bishops) Church structures.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »

What I meant was the idea of a “universal Church” having a structure like diocesan (bishop and priests/deacons) and regional (metropolitan/bishops) Church structures.

I know. I just love the opportunity to delve into etymological wordplay.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »
So in a very long and wide-ranging interview almost a month ago in a Serbian magazine, he said:

Of course, we also take into account Canon 34 of the Holy Apostles, but this canon refers to the bishops of each nation, who should recognize their protos as head and not do anything without his opinion and, correspondingly, the first of each nation should not do anything without the opinion of his bishops.

This canon seeks to ensure unity and concord within the local Church. It is not a canon that concerns the relations between the local Churches, but rather the internal governance of a local Church. Therefore, it does not refer to the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s relationship with the other Churches.

Source, with links to Greek and Serbian versions: https://orthodoxsynaxis.org/2019/03/16/has-patriarch-bartholomew-repudiated-apostolic-canon-34/

This is quite serious.

It is indeed curious to say the least. Furthermore, it seems Patriarch Bartholomew believes that a fourth-century forgery - however venerable its principles may be - was written within an international context, while it more probably was written in the context of the Roman Empire. I guess it could be the former, but the burden of proof is on him.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:54:44 PM by Rohzek »
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746