Author Topic: Mammoth statue of Jesus planned for Russian site once set aside for Lenin  (Read 286 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
MOSCOW (RNS) — Authorities in Vladivostok, the largest city in far eastern Russia, are planning to erect a gigantic statue of Jesus Christ on a site once designated for a monument of Vladimir Lenin.
Roman Lunkin, a religion analyst at the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow, told RNS that it was not certain that the Russian Orthodox Church would approve the project, because the proposed design was more in keeping with Roman Catholic statues and monuments. “There is a tradition in Orthodoxy of putting up crosses, but not statues,” he said.

https://religionnews.com/2019/03/13/mammoth-statue-of-jesus-planned-for-russian-site-once-set-aside-for-lenin/
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
The exact height of our Christ the Redeemer... This means war...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Eamonomae

• Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Unavailable
Ha

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Interesting.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Primorsky Krai has Siberian Tigers, so they win by default.  Sorry!  :)
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Online isxodnik

• Jurisdiction: ROC
How awful.
As far as I know, the Vladivostok diocese does not take part in this.
This forum needs a spoiler button.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
Nice  :) Although it should be a cross and not a statue.
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Unless it meshes very well with the surroundings (which Christ the Redeemer does superbly), it will be tacky as all get out. And by the time that's cleared, it will be too late. ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:06:04 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Unless it meshes very well with the surroundings (which Christ the Redeemer does superbly), it will be tacky as all get out. And by the time that's cleared, it will be too late. ::)

Indeed, this is a possibility.  I kind of feel like they are doing this merely because a statue of Lenin was planned, and the goal is to still have an epic statue, but one more in line with the new Russia.

I wish they would spend the money on building a new Orthodox cathedral and on humanitarian aid projects.  If the MP started doing humanitarian aid around the world on the scale of the Roman Catholic Church, including in countries Russia does not have good relations with, for example, Estonia or Georgia, or the US, partnering with other Orthodox churches, it could really do a lot of good for the Orthodox community.

In Egypt, Pope Shenouda created a religious order focused on doing charitable work, which includes monks, nuns (including deaconesses) and married couples, if memory serves, and this order operates the orphanages that are required because of the barbaric Islamic ban on adoption being extended to the Christian population.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Russia can invite North Korea to spend part of its nuclear weapons funds on this statute. :P

Online isxodnik

• Jurisdiction: ROC
I wish they would spend the money on building a new Orthodox cathedral and on humanitarian aid projects.  If the MP started doing humanitarian aid around the world on the scale of the Roman Catholic Church, including in countries Russia does not have good relations with, for example, Estonia or Georgia, or the US, partnering with other Orthodox churches, it could really do a lot of good for the Orthodox community.

How much money Russia gave the Greeks... And little who hate her as much.
This forum needs a spoiler button.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder

There are enough humanitarian projects for the MP to fund in its own country: orphanages for example, disabled children, soup kitchens for poor old women on pensions ....

Fixed quote tags.~Arachne
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:06:27 PM by Arachne »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City

We have marmosets and capybaras...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

*explodes from cute*
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
I don’t think it’s proper for either the Russian Govt. or the Church to pay for this. Maybe it could be some oligarch’s pet project.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless

Win
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.