OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is The New NCC President?  (Read 1908 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: November 14, 2005, 03:10:15 AM »

I've seen reports around the net (e.g., here and here) saying that "Bishop Vicken Aykazian" of "the Diocese of the Armenian Church of America" is now president-elect of the NCC. However, the NCC's homepage says that "The Rev. Michael E. Livingston, Executive Director of the International Council of Community Churches, was installed Nov. 10 as the new President of the National Council of Churches USA". Am I missing something? 

Also, does anyone know to what extext the following paragraph reflects reality?

There was "profound anxiety" about the future of their own ecumenical involvements, Kishkovsky said. However, Edgar visited leaders of the other Orthodox churches and had largely relieved such anxieties. Through the meetings, the NCC found that it must "become better acquainted and more deeply informed about the lives and processes" of sister communions. - Source

It would be disheartening if the Antiochians left the NCC, but the OCA, GOA, etc. had no plans of eventually following them (especially after all the rumors about the OCA being on the verge of leaving).

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 09:29:39 AM »

Both reports are correct. The NCC pres-elect serves as pres-elect for TWO years; both persons were installed at the same time.

Fully agree with your closing opinion, BTW.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 07:38:27 PM »

I must be (unintentionally!) smelling too many chemical at work, because I still don't quite get it, but I think I understand enough to kill my idle curiosity. Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 07:44:44 PM »

You probably have got it right. They are weird ones (as if we didn't know that already). Apparently they choose a president and his successor at the same time. Yep, confusing.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:48:13 PM »

It would be disheartening if the Antiochians left the NCC, but the OCA, GOA, etc. had no plans of eventually following them (especially after all the rumors about the OCA being on the verge of leaving).

If the OCA and the Antiochians merge, we'll see about them being in the NCC.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:58:17 PM »

And if the Orthodox and the Catholics merge, maybe the Catholics won't do it either.

Why do I see talk (okay, I saw more of it 2 or 3 months ago) of the Antiochians and the OCA merging since the Antiochian's Autonomy?  They would need Damascus to approve of something like that, a move I don't see happening in the near future...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 01:04:44 PM »

And if the Orthodox and the Catholics merge, maybe the Catholics won't do it either.

Why do I see talk (okay, I saw more of it 2 or 3 months ago) of the Antiochians and the OCA merging since the Antiochian's Autonomy?ÂÂ  They would need Damascus to approve of something like that, a move I don't see happening in the near future...

Because Met Philip is fond of saying he will just leave Damascus if they take too long, even if they try to depose him.  I am sure he is being hyperbolic but some people aren't very good at understanding that and run with it.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 01:21:19 PM »

Why do I see talk (okay, I saw more of it 2 or 3 months ago) of the Antiochians and the OCA merging since the Antiochian's Autonomy?ÂÂ  They would need Damascus to approve of something like that, a move I don't see happening in the near future...

At least they're trying unlike certain jurisdictions who prefer being by themselves...

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »

At least they're trying unlike certain jurisdictions who prefer being by themselves... 

Haha - they're not trying yet, that was my point.

See Anastasios' post for info.

Oh, and as far as "jurisdictions who prefer being by themselves" - research which Archbishop in this country was pushing (in the background) for one jurisdiction in this nation.  Hint: he died this past spring and is buried here at HC.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 09:21:14 PM »

WAS pushing for one jurisdiction - until the leash was tightened.

+Memory Eternal to Archbishop Iakovos

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 01:27:54 AM »

-Nick

I have heard enough about the personal opinions of Metropolitan Philip concerning the Metropolia to be quite confident that it will never happen while he is the Antiochian Metropolitan.

Oh, and as far as "jurisdictions who prefer being by themselves" - research which Archbishop in this country was pushing (in the background) for one jurisdiction in this nation.ÂÂ  Hint: he died this past spring and is buried here at HC.

Fortunately, by the grace of God, such schismatic designs failed. The problem has been rectified and it is unlikely that our several Metropolises and Archdiocese (no longer one Archdiocese) will ever face the same threat again. It seems as though the Great Church of Christ is better at keeping her Bishops in line and maintaining order in the Church than their Beatitudes the Patriarchs of Antioch and Moscow.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: