Author Topic: Future of Roman Catholicism?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Mercurius1

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Future of Roman Catholicism?
« on: February 25, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »
Given what has been going on in the RCC as of late, I was curious on what the future holds for the RCC.

This was my background before I became Orthodox, and seeing Rome from the outside looking in, I'm not very confident in a good future for them. I don't say that to be spiteful of my old faith, but, more-so of an observation

Taking whether or not you agree with Roman Catholicism out of the equation, what are your thoughts?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Future of Roman Catholicism?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »
I used to be Roman Catholic and I don't know.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »
Even without the scandal currently catching so much attention, the RCC will take the same kind of hit in the western world that other denominations have. It will remain somewhat entrenched in the places where it has a presence in the global South, though it will shed some there as well. Even among the faithful who remain in the west there will be a high level of distrust of the hierarchy.

I see some kind of schism forming between "traditionalists" and modernists/the normal people who stay in the coming decades, though I can't say if it will be any more meaningful in the long run than the SSPX was in its time. Probably even less so.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:38:43 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic/sometimes atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
I personally plan to deal with it by thanking God every day that I'm not a terrible sinner, like all those other Catholics.  ;)
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »
I personally plan to deal with it by thanking God every day that I'm not a terrible sinner, like all those other Catholics.  ;)

You should write a manual for our team, too.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »
The Roman Catholic Church has been here for 2,000 years. They will survive this.
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Online isxodnik

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »
I think RC will prosper until the Last Judgment.
"А чего мне бояться? Не в лесу живём, и не в Америке"