OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:44:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pope of Amerika  (Read 6754 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2005, 12:08:04 PM »

Beavis
I agree with your last post. When you write like that, you are quite cogent and informative. Please always take a deep breath when you reply and continue with this kind of enlightening, edifying comment.

thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns

blessings on you!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »

Southserb
Franklin Graham has been known to put his foot in his mouth from time to time.
Billy has always gone out of his way to not give offense to any other Christians.

Thank you for your other comments
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2005, 10:21:05 PM »

Please, please please...
DO NOT make Pat Robertson out to be anything than what he is - an independent religious entrepreneur. Even many mainline Protestants would consider him to be heretical in many of his so-called Chrisitan beliefs and abominable in his political beliefs.

I was embarrassed and ashamed of Robertson when I was a Protestant. He was a cut above Swaggart and Jim and Tammy baker, but that's not saying much. And Benny Hinn has stepped in to rip more poeple off.

If you want to read EXCELLENT Protestant critiques and humorous spoofs of these clowns check out The Wittenbug Door magazine
www.wittenburgdoor.comÂÂ  Go to the archives and then check out "Losers"

I once heard that Benny Hinn was Orthodox at one time.  Does anyone know if thjat is true?  And what about that Greek guy Dino (looks like a white Michael jackson) who plays the piano on TBN?  What's up with him?
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

Smooth sounds from Squidworth's clarinet....

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2005, 10:06:03 AM »

I once heard that Benny Hinn was Orthodox at one time.ÂÂ  Does anyone know if thjat is true?ÂÂ  

He is a Lebanese man who was baptized Antiochian as a child.  I believe he was adopted by a Canadian family, whereafter he drifted away into his little Charismatic fancies.  He affirms Nine Persons in the Trinity (which would actually make it an "Ennead").  I think he would be more like the Pope of DisneyWorld.

"Every entity is what it loves"----Vladimir Solovyov
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2005, 12:05:41 PM »

I love your reply Beavis. Is there a connect to a website that talks about his fanasy trinity. I could use more laughs.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2005, 12:09:49 PM »

My bad.....he is actually Palestinian.

This might be of some help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=Benny+Hinn%2C+Nine%2C+trinity  (but I warn you, some of these sites attack the Orthodox faith)

Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2005, 12:13:40 PM »

ROTFL Cheesy

You might get a kick out of this one: http://www.satansrapture.com/bennyhinn.htm

Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2005, 12:22:54 PM »

This just gets too funny....check out this one: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/signs_of_satan.htm

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2005, 03:43:30 PM »

BEavis:

Some people have too much time on their hands. Thanks for the links LOL  Cheesy

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2005, 05:00:29 PM »

BEavis:

Some people have too much time on their hands. Thanks for the links LOLÂÂ  Cheesy

Yes they do!!
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2005, 12:45:24 PM »

This just gets too funny....check out this one: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/signs_of_satan.htm

Wow.  Just, wow.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2005, 03:36:25 PM »

I suppose, after seeing some of those links and also reading about Benny Hinn's outlandish heresies, at the risk of contardicting myself, some things/people are deserving of ridicule - there seems to be no other sane response to them.

Nonetheless, ridicule is dangerous and must only be applied with a scalpel, not a broadsword. In other words, with discernment and only when no other response - including silence - is appropriate.
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

The REAL Pope of America... http://photos1.blogger.com/img/190/2076/1024/YodaPope1.jpg http://www.freakingnews.com/entries/10000/10448cIKH_w.jpg  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Searching

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2005, 04:26:21 PM »

It's pretty sad how petty you guys are getting.  While I disagree with Pat Robertson on a lot of stuff, and think he puts his foot in many ofirices on his body, I think broadbrushing evangelical Christians is pretty lame.  Not to mention, not very Christ-like.  Has any of you prayed for him or Mr. Hinn, or are you too busy thinking of the next cutting remark you can say about them.  Do you really think all evangelicals are like them? If so you are very mistaken.  A lot of us are concerned about the same issues you are-abortion, moral standards plummeting, poverty,etc.  We are not all holy laughing, feel-good worship-chorus singing, liberal minded, pro choicers.  While I am on my soapbox, I will throw out one more thing.  A lot of you claim protestants go to church and it's centered around making us feel good.  At the same time, I see where a lot of converts to Orthodoxy say that the first time they went to an Orthodox church, it just felt right and felt like I was coming home.  Kind of ironic, huh.

Okay, I am done venting and will come down off my high horse now.  Seriously, I am seriously investigating the Orthodox faith and am drawn toward it.  I even agree with a lot of the doctrines now that I have investigated what they really mean and are based on.

Sorry if I offended anyone, just felt like I had to say it.

Mike
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2005, 04:40:05 PM »

Mike:

Get A Grip!!!!! Nobody is broadbrushing anybody. I know many pious and devout evangelicals who would probably agree with this blog site. Additionally, a lot of those converts who say Orhtodoxy "feels right" came from those swinging charismatic churches and have not fully developed what is known as orthopraxis. Actually, it takes a life time to develop. So Mikey, put your bleeding heart back on your sleeve and buck up

Dan  Embarrassed

Searching

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2005, 05:00:57 PM »

My tone was probably not good, and the broadbrushing I refer to is not all in this thread. 

This was probably not a good thread for me to post to as I am struggling with my faith right now, and am trying to be more Christ-like.  I apologize for my tone in the post.

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2005, 07:04:12 PM »

Mike:

Forget about it

Searching

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »

No problem, Serb.  I think you and I just got off on the wrong foot.  I am not as pious and self righteous as I sounded.  Look forward to posting with you in the future in a better way.

Mike
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2005, 09:51:51 AM »

liberal minded, pro choicers.ÂÂ  

huh? Huh  How on earth did you come to that conclusion?  I've certainly never thought of Evangelicals as being "liberal" or "pro-choice"...quite the opposite.  I've never felt more "free" and uncondemned to be a political free thinker as when I joined the Orthodox Church.

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »

Beavis:

I think it was that he was writing in heated thought and meant to say conservative pro-lifers.

Serb

Searching

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »

Hey guys

I actually meant it the way I wrote it, but meant it from a theological viewpoint.  I have seen a lot of ex-Protestants on this and another forum say they converted because their Protestant churches were to liberal doctrinally, denying the Trinity, being pro gay marriage, gay priests, etc, and  a politically correct, watered down Gospel being preached, etc. 
Although I am from a conservative protestant background, I am being pulled toward Orthodoxy.  I think it's only a matter of time... Smiley

Mike
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:00:57 PM by Searching » Logged
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2005, 04:03:08 PM »

ahhhh, yes Searching.  I know what you mean.  But these Protestant Churches generally are mainline ones which have gone astray.  Particularly Lutheran, Reformed, Presbyterian, Methodist, and Anglican.  The ones which I think we are "picking on" in this thread are ones which may be conservative in theology but have certain other unsavory elements to it, such as the self-righteousness of Pat Robertson and the looniness of Benny Hinn.

Searching

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2005, 04:42:59 PM »

Beavis;

I mixed points about picking on them specifically with picking on Protestants in general into one overly self-righteous post, didn't I?  I still think Pat and Benny need to be prayed for more than ridiculed, but like they say for the free-for-all forum, be ready for some polemic discussion.

I don't consider Benny a Christian at all, and I live where Pat is based, so I get to see some of his good side.  He's not all bad, he just speaks without thinking.  He does a lot of mercy ministries where medical assistance is sent to poor countries, etc.  So I don't think he steals all the money that's sent in, like Benny Hinn might do.  And I don't think he's in the same class as far as preaching weird, off the wall doctrine.  But I can agree that he's a very abrasive dude. 

When he commented about needing to assasinate the Venezuelan president, some people I talked to thought even though it was stupid to say, it really was true.  In other words:  he says what our government thinks and is too timid to say.  Not very Christian of him, was it?
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »

Actually, I find nothing intrinsically wrong with what he said.  After all, we wouldn't harp on any Christian leader during the '40's for saying that Hitler needed to be assassinated.  It's an objective moral fact: some dictators need to be assassinated to save the lives of potential genocide victims.  My only problem with it, however, was his specific choice.  I mean, when it comes down to it, nearly 2/3 of the collection of world leaders need to be assassinated for that matter.  Why did he narrow it down to this particular one?  To me it all sounds like part of his political agenda.  I find it interesting that he never called for the assassination of any FASCIST dictator.  He seems to have no problem at all with fascism.  He only seems to find problems with MARXIST dictators.  His choice of who needs to be assassinated and who doesn't seems to be clouded by his ultra-rightist views.  But that said, I do not find any problem with stating that a heinous dictator should be assassinated.

CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2005, 09:59:28 PM »

As unappealing as Chavez is, he has been democratically elected, is well-liked by all Venezuelans I know, and even survived a recall vote that was recognized as fair by respected institutions. I think there is some possibility he could become an authoritarian leader--he's certainly a demagogue--but calling him a dictator in need of assassination is just silly.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2005, 10:01:55 PM »

When I started this discussion, I didn't realize that it would take on a life of its own for so long. But I have enjoyed reading the comments and responding. And a welcome to Searching who is well searching.  ARen't we a motley lot. But then that's Orthodoxy.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

When I started this discussion, I didn't realize that it would take on a life of its own for so long. But I have enjoyed reading the comments and responding. And a welcome to Searching who is well searching.  ARen't we a motley lot. But then that's Orthodoxy.

Dude, this is an internet message board.  Never assume anything.  Wink
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2005, 11:54:04 AM »

Back at you E!  Cheesy

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: