OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:32:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop reveals his "un"orthodox way to God  (Read 1423 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« on: November 13, 2005, 12:11:41 AM »

The Times November 12, 2005

Archbishop reveals his unorthodox way to God
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

THE Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has revealed how his first encounter with God was not at an Anglican or even a Roman Catholic service but at a Mass of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Dr Williams was only 14 when his local Anglican curate took him along to an Orthodox Mass in Swansea celebrated by a visiting Russian priest.

Although his long journey of faith began at his “mother’s knee”, Dr Williams said the Russian Orthodox Mass was one of only two moments in his teenage years when he met the “living God”.

Dr Williams’s encounter with Orthodoxy came when he was living with his parents in a modest house in Oystermouth on the western edge of the bay in Swansea.

In response to questions at a conference, Dr Williams described how strong the impact of the Mass was on him. “I found myself that evening kneeling at prayer in tears and feeling that I’d been taken somewhere new.

“I had to change, I had to grow, I had to repent. I had to let that reality become more real for me,” he said. The future leader of the Church of England and primus inter pares of the Anglican Communion grew up in a Christian household but started out with his family in the dominant Welsh non-conformist Presbyterian tradition.

When he was 11 the family moved and became members of the Anglican Church in Wales. Welsh Anglicans, particularly in South Wales, have long a tradition of “high” Anglo-Catholic worship.

To a highly intelligent, devout teenage boy, however, even their elaborate incense-perfumed rituals would have seemed tame by comparison with the three-hour Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom as celebrated weekly in Orthodox churches worldwide.

Dr Williams said: “When I came away, I felt I had seen glory and praise for the first time. I felt I had seen and heard people who were behaving as if God were real.”

“I came away with the sense of absolute objectivity and majesty and beauty of God which I have never forgotten. If people worshipped like this, I felt God must be a great deal more real (than) even I have learnt him so far.”

The other epiphany was at the other end of the theological spectrum, in a Baptist church three years later.

He spoke about his teenage encounters with God when he was addressing a meeting in Egypt of bishops and archbishops from the Global South, the grouping of conservative evangelical provinces in Africa, Asia and the West Indies which regards itself as carrying the Orthodox flag in the Anglican Church today.

The meeting was private, but the question and answer session was made public yesterday when Global South organisers posted it on their website.

Dr Williams also described how he had helped to convert three people to Christianity, including Gwyneth Lewis, the national poet of Wales, who he said came knocking on his front door ten years ago after years of involvement in Buddhist meditation. After about two years, she was confirmed as an Anglican, the Archbishop said.

The Orthodox Church in Britain was boosted after 1992 by an influx of former Anglicans opposed to the ordination of women.

The Archbishop also said that Christians needed to be sensitive when communicating with Muslims. “While we cannot accept Islam as the final revelation, it is nonetheless possible that God has given great gifts to individual Muslims and that through their devotion, we may yet learn something of what obedience to God looks like.”

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:19:25 AM »

To a highly intelligent, devout teenage boy, however, even their elaborate incense-perfumed rituals would have seemed tame by comparison with the three-hour Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom as celebrated weekly in Orthodox churches worldwide.

A three hour long liturgy??  Huh

I've never been to any Eastern Orthodox church for a Sunday DL that lasted that long!

Guess they do things differently in the Orthodox churches located outside of the US of A.  Wink
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:46:32 AM »

3 hour liturgy?  probably included the hours and some pre-communion prayers.  Now i have heard that candidates for a particular parish were asked how long it took them to serve on Sundays - one said 2 hours, another said 1.5 hours and the priest who got the job, said 45 minutes.  I remember in Salonika the liturgy lasted 35 mins? The final blessing was given as the priest completed the final litanies - very strange!  Were there going to a party?  Anyway they were in a great hurry to get it over. Pity when for me personally the conclusion is an anti-climax, in that I like being in church Roll Eyes

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:49:31 AM »

3 hours? No problem:

1 hour Orthos
1.75 hour Divine Liturgy (w/ particularly inspiring homily) - longer if +400 commune
Panakida/Memosino

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:07:21 AM »

Monastery's feastday with several con-celebrating bishops - 3 hours for liturgy along with no homily or the tacked on all night vigil.  Those were were amazing on the Athos...

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:06:52 PM »

We were at a 3 hour or so liturgy at St. John the Baptist (ROCOR) years and years ago.  It was: Palm Sunday, a Bishop came (he was a bit late in arriving) and there was an ordination.  The man who'd invited us was surprised we lasted the whole time.   Smiley 

I've been to a 3 hour Anglican Service too:  the consecration of the Washington Cathedral Church of Saints Peter and Paul. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 12:36:16 PM »

It should be pointed out that 15 minute entrance processions at the National Cathedral are almost routine.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: