Author Topic: Setting a deadline and preconditions for Orthodox-RC reunification  (Read 1518 times)

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
Re: Setting a deadline and preconditions for Orthodox-RC reunification
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »
And by the way, my point is not that there wouldn't need to be some changes to RC doctrine/praxis in order to facilitate a reconciliation.

My point is that if you go into a negotiation and demand that the *other* party agree to all your demands, while refusing even to consider offering *any* concessions from your side, I guarantee you're gonna lose that negotiation.  8)

(And I can think of at least one thing the Orthodox might put on the table: a moratorium on the use of the word "Western" as a pejorative.  :police: )
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
We might also gently request that the Orthodox take steps to resolve their *own* internal schisms, before assuming they can heal the external ones.
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
And by the way, my point is not that there wouldn't need to be some changes to RC doctrine/praxis in order to facilitate a reconciliation.

My point is that if you go into a negotiation and demand that the *other* party agree to all your demands, while refusing even to consider offering *any* concessions from your side, I guarantee you're gonna lose that negotiation.  8)

(And I can think of at least one thing the Orthodox might put on the table: a moratorium on the use of the word "Western" as a pejorative.  :police: )

I would put that on the table even in an inter-Orthodox synod.  Because St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco basically said as much.  Western Christianity is not the problem and the few scholars who have argued otherwise, like Fr. John C. Romanides, I can only say I disagree with entirely and have extremely grave doubts as to the validity of their logic, theological reasoning, the data and sources of data they employed in their work, their professional training, and their methodology.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:11:00 PM by Alpha60 »
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
My concession is to give up any and all latinizations.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
We might also gently request that the Orthodox take steps to resolve their *own* internal schisms, before assuming they can heal the external ones.

Well, that might never happen, and indeed, if the EP does become entirely schismatic and the other Patriarchates cut it off, I would rather the other EO Patriarchates entered into a communion with Rome, because the influx of traditionalists into the EP this would cause would potentially repair the Orthodoxy of the EP.  And lest anyone object claiming I am proposing using the Roman church as a pawn to fix an Orthodox-internal problem, I would deny this and also state that even if it was true, the EO have been unwillingly used as pawns by the Catholics and Protestants in the course of Catholic-Protestant issues, and also all of the Orthodox were either exploited or directly persecuted in the Crusades (the only Eastern church which benefitted from the Crusades were the Maronites, and this is probably because the Crusading armies needed access to their forts in the mountains of Lebanon; meanwhile some Pontic Greek Orthodox Christians and some Antiochian Orthodox were eaten alive by cannibalistic Crusaders; we are of course talking about peoples who centuries later due to schisms were the ancestors, in those cases where they were not eaten, of Melkite Catholics as well as Rum Orthodox).

I used to know a chap named Dick Montjoy, who I was not a great fan of, and now that I know the meaning of the last name Montjoy, I have to confess if I ever encounter another individual with such a last name who is particularly unpleasant (Dick Montjoy was not nasty enough to be my enemy; I merely found him a bit annoying, perhaps to my discredit, and I now actively seek to avoid finding people annoying), I might well share with such a person the dark side of the First Crusdade and its adverse impact on Eastern Christians (including the ancestors of the Melkite Catholics and Syriac Catholics).
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
There's no much to change as many of our practices and beliefs are what you used to have.

Then why would you even be remotely interested in any kind of "reunification" with the RC or other Christian churches? Since you're already perfect, you don't need the rest of us.

We, you know, believe in the same God and all. It would be nice if we got along.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 11:17:01 AM »
There's no much to change as many of our practices and beliefs are what you used to have.

Then why would you even be remotely interested in any kind of "reunification" with the RC or other Christian churches? Since you're already perfect, you don't need the rest of us.

Because I can find no defect in the faith of Deacon Lance or yourself, or for that matter Gregory diPippo of the New Liturgical Movement and countless other Roman Catholics.  In the theological writings of Pope Benedict XVI, I agree with nearly everything he has to say; he comes as close as any non-Orthodox to having an Orthodox phrenomena; in this respect he is evocative of Anglican divines who I greatly admire such as the Caroline Divines, Archbishop Laud and his protege who wrote the Collect for the 6th Sunday in Advent, whose name escapes me, the Wesleys, Percy Dearmer, and CS Lewis, and is more Orthodox than Rowan Williams, who was psuedo-semi-Orthodox (Dr. Rowan Williams nearly became an Orthodox priest, but instead became an Anglican priest, Archbishop of Wales and later Canterbury, and he also wrote a lot of books, including an interesting book on Arius, but in general these are not as good as the corpus of Pope Benedict XVI; also Rowan Williams stand on the ordination of women is utterly unacceptable).

Which takes us to the next reason why I would prefer restored communion with Rome to having to set up a massive Western Rite church to replace them: my fear is that a future Pope, emboldened by the destructive actions of Pope Francis, will capitulate on homosexuality, the ordination of women and so on.  This would be a disaster for Christendom; it could result in the Orthodox church being the only church in several European countries not to have capitulated, and this in turn could cause us to experience in the diaspora a wave of persecution akin to what has happened “in the old country” under Communism or Islam.  A good way to prevent that would be to seize upon the RC desire for communion with us and offer a restoration of communion conditional upon Rome not only retaining pro-life, anti-homosexual, anti-feminist doctrine, but turning up the volume on these doctrines, by agreeing with the Orthodox on a joint program to identify and depose 100% of clergy who want to change this doctrine, and also to exclude all laity who fall into these camps pending repentance, and to further exclude for 30 years or until the period when they require the last rites, any laity who are judges or legislators who have acted contrary to the Orthodox-Catholic doctrine on these issues.

Excommunicating in one swift stroke every Cafeteria Catholic or Optionally Orthodox politician around the world would send a powerful message, and I believe that with regards to abortion, the Church should canonically penance the politicians who enable it with great severity.
-Cato the Elder

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • I think Volckner is a Swedish Psych
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: North America
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
I'm Western Rite ...

Jesus Prayer : the invocation of the name of Jesus, most commonly, 'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me' , although there are a number of variant forms. Not merely a technique or a Christian mantra, but a prayer addressed to the person of Jesus Christ, expressing our living faith in Him as Son of God and Savior.

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:08 PM »

+1

Of course, I assume those who want a reunion see the Orthodox/Roman schism as an internal schism. Maybe Alpha60 can clarify this for us.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »

You should change your jurisdiction to Magnanimity U.S., cause that's clearly where you reside.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »

You should change your jurisdiction to Magnanimity U.S., cause that's clearly where you reside.

Hey, I gave you no authorization to reveal my whereabouts.  Now I will have to move to New York City.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »

We, you know, believe in the same God and all. It would be nice if we got along.

I agree, but you know what? I've been told by other Orthodox that we *don't* believe in the same God, because our doctrines (specifically the Filioque) somehow make "our" God different from "your" God.

That's what I mean, when I say that you can never really pin down what "the Orthodox" believe on any given topic -- there's always that guy that pipes up and says, "Hey, I'M Orthodox and I don't believe that!" :D

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »

Because I can find no defect in the faith of Deacon Lance or yourself, or for that matter Gregory diPippo of the New Liturgical Movement and countless other Roman Catholics.  In the theological writings of Pope Benedict XVI, I agree with nearly everything he has to say; he comes as close as any non-Orthodox to having an Orthodox phrenomena; in this respect he is evocative of Anglican divines who I greatly admire such as the Caroline Divines, Archbishop Laud and his protege who wrote the Collect for the 6th Sunday in Advent, whose name escapes me, the Wesleys, Percy Dearmer, and CS Lewis, and is more Orthodox than Rowan Williams, who was psuedo-semi-Orthodox (Dr. Rowan Williams nearly became an Orthodox priest, but instead became an Anglican priest, Archbishop of Wales and later Canterbury, and he also wrote a lot of books, including an interesting book on Arius, but in general these are not as good as the corpus of Pope Benedict XVI; also Rowan Williams stand on the ordination of women is utterly unacceptable).

Funny thing is I've recently been reading a lot of Anglican writers -- not just CS Lewis, who of course we're all familiar with, but going back to some of the *original* Anglicans such as Hooker, Andrewes, Jewell et all, and finding myself in agreement with them on more issues than I'd originally thought, esp. on the Papal doctrines.

So the problem with excommunicating "Cafeteria Catholics" as you mentioned is, I may be one of them at this point!!  8)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »

I agree, but you know what? I've been told by other Orthodox that we *don't* believe in the same God, because our doctrines (specifically the Filioque) somehow make "our" God different from "your" God.

That's what I mean, when I say that you can never really pin down what "the Orthodox" believe on any given topic -- there's always that guy that pipes up and says, "Hey, I'M Orthodox and I don't believe that!" :D
How can you pin something down thats so free.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Iron Mike Tyson

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:41 PM »

Funny thing is I've recently been reading a lot of Anglican writers -- not just CS Lewis, who of course we're all familiar with, but going back to some of the *original* Anglicans such as Hooker, Andrewes, Jewell et all, and finding myself in agreement with them on more issues than I'd originally thought, esp. on the Papal doctrines.

So the problem with excommunicating "Cafeteria Catholics" as you mentioned is, I may be one of them at this point!!  8)

Hooker, Andrewes, Jewell and so on were all High Church Anglicans and direct forerunners of the Anglo-Catholic movement, and several of them were into Orthodoxy and wanted the Anglican church to be Orthodox.

Rather, the mass excommunication of Catholics and Orthodox I envisage would entail two groups: heretical clergy, who teach contrary to the church on critical issues like abortion, homosexuality, the ordination of women, the deity of Jesus Christ, and so forth, and laity in positions of political power who advance the abortion agenda, or the homosexual agenda (for example, a legislator who introduced a bill promoting abortion, or a judge who persecuted Christians for opposition to homosexuality, would be publically excommunicated and denied entry into any parish by the vergers, ushers or doorkeepers, pending repentance, which in the case of a politician who enabled abortion or euthanasia on a large scale, would, in consistency with the ancient canons, be available only in the event of life-threatening illness or after 30 years or so, unless the penitent made massive public restitution, such as campaigning against the issue and standing outside the nave of the service weeping during services, according to the canons of the ancient church).  Also persons in the media who agitate contrary to the faith.

I don’t see the need for such a program to extend to the laity because the laity who are not in civil, journalistic or ecclesiastical authority are sheep to be fed, and not sheep to be starved or driven off needlessly.  You can’t hold them responsible for the moral failures of society.  Indeed I think a complete amnesty for people who have sinned in this direction would be desirable, in order to bring disaffected groups like women driven by social pressure into having abortions and people who periodically wrestle with, and sometimes lose the fight against, homosexual temptations, back into the safety of the Church.  It is the wolves in sheep’s clothing who preach a false gospel who need to be driven out (Galatians 1:8, et cetera).  Of both churches.  The Orthodox Church alas is unfortunately not devoid of evil pastors.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 11:08:02 PM »

Well this is why we have bishops.  The episcopate in the Orthodox Church can ameliorate errors on the part of misguided clergy and laity.  Conversely, in those rare cases where the bishops are completely wrong, the people can rise up and resist them.  This happened with Iconoclasm and with the Council of Florence.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 11:59:49 PM »

Multitudes of Orthodox are morons. No argument on that.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 12:22:02 AM »

Multitudes of Orthodox are morons. No argument on that.

Indeed.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Alpha, I do think that you have good intentions, but you are a dreamer.
Nothing you described is going to happen, I am afraid one could be not much more off the mark.

Your preconditions will not be accepted.
There will not be a common declaration on women priests, homosexuality and whatnot.
Nobody will excommunicate any persons on your grounds.
There will not be a Western Rite Orthodox church in Europe or the Americas playing any major role.

Call me a pessimist, but my prediction is:

- things will go down the drain pretty much completely in Europe and the US for both Catholics (sooner) and Orthodox (later)
 - this means that what we call today faithful Catholics/Orthodox will become a ridiculed minority in an increasingly hostile environment
 - we will have our hands full with trying to resist the world and will not have any energy left for talking to one another

I have no idea how extreme it will become, but in the worst (best => Matthew 5,11) case, if Christianity would be really suppressed in earnest,
outward pressure might force Orthodox and Catholics to move towards each other.
We saw that in all kinds of death camps in the 20th century.
Apart from such extreme and undesirable scenarios, I do not expect that anything substantial is going to improve, quite to contrary.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:39:52 AM by Lepanto »
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Xavier

• Slave of Love consecrated to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
  • High Elder
  • Holy Theotokos, Pray for Catholic-Orthodox Union!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union.
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
I think some people are being too harsh on Alpha. This is a reasonable endeavor and also re-union is so great a goal that it is not going to be accomplished overnight. But baby steps moving us closer and closer to the final goal of full Communion and Concelebration are worth trying. Of course, each side will have different perspectives. But imho it's better to discuss frankly the very many doctrines and practices Catholics and Orthodox already have in common, as well as the few issues still remaining unresolved - and possible steps that can be taken to move closer together - than to place limits on what the grace of God can effect.

I believe something good can come out of the 2025 Council or gathering even if it takes time after the Bishops agree to meet together. It's important for the faithful to pray a great deal to the Holy Trinity, and beseech the Saints and Angels and especially the Mother of God to obtain the grace to re-unite the Churches. The most important thing is that first step - all the Bishops of the Universal Church must agree to convene in common. If they do, open to the grace of the Holy Spirit, I believe everything else will go just fine.

I want to leave aside the Papacy and the Autocephaly issue to be fixed or determined by that Council itself: Even something quite limited like the Primacy upon appeal recognized by the Council of Sardica, approved by Patriarch St. Athanasius of Alexandria, is sufficient to go forward. "For this will seem to be most good and very proper, if to the head, that is to the See of Peter the Apostle, the bishops of the Lord shall refer from all provinces." http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num51.htm In the strictest sense, to Catholics, Papal confirmation is in theory needed for a Bishop to obtain full canonical jurisdiction, but in practice this is dispensed with or easily provided these days.

With Greek Orthodox, there are mainly 3 issues imho (1) Filioque (procession "from the Father through the Son", as a joint Catholic-Orthodox study held, is imho totally acceptable; if anyone believed it, as St. Patriarch Tarasius did at Nicaea II, he or she is already imo almost in Communion with the Catholic Church) (2) Immaculate Conception - or, at least the personal sinlessness of the Mother of God, with the readiness to accept the Immaculate Conception if a Council of the whole Church were to declare it. (3) Purgatory. Much about Purgatory is undefined. All that is insisted on is that a Purgatory exists through which souls are cleansed, as many passages in Scripture suggest, and that the souls detained there can and should be assisted by the prayers and suffrages of the faithful, especially the Holy Mass or Divine Liturgy, as all Tradition teaches. So it's hard for us to see why Purgatory has historically been a stumbling block, when the Greek Church also firmly believes in an intermediate state. Some say the departed go to hell itself, but then some of these departed can be liberated from there. Well, a partial hell from which souls can be liberated is not substantially different from what we call purgatory. If our Greek Orthodox Christian brothers and sisters would agree that some of the souls we pray for in the intermediate state at least can be saved, this difference too is almost entirely overcome. The unleavened/leavened bread controversy is almost universally abandoned. It is a non starter imo and each can very well conform to the respective usage of their Churches.

With Oriental Orthodox, I think it is even simpler (1) Joint acceptance from both sides of some of the common declarations already signed, my personal favorite is the one between His Holiness Patriarch Ignatius Zakka and His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/speeches/1984/june/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_19840623_jp-ii-zakka-i.html especially on the Hypostatic Union, and a joint statement on (2) Mother Mary's sinlessness and (3) Original Sin. For each of these, the Catholic Church will show certain authorities from Scripture and Tradition, and our Oriental Orthodox Christian brothers and sisters can show others or discuss their objections, and things can go forward from there. If a joint statement on these doctrines is signed, I believe Concelebration and joint Communion is possible after that. As good Father Peter and I were discussing on another thread, these are among the last issues remaining imho, beside some misunderstandings. I believe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon) is almost equivalent to Immaculata.

If Catholic and Orthodox Bishops would agree together just to declare the personal sinlessness of the Mother of God, that would imo be a great step on the road toward full communion, give great glory to God, great honor to His Mother, and rapidly speed the cause of full re-union in God's Good Time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:05:27 PM by Xavier »
"O Immaculata, Queen of Heaven and earth, refuge of sinners and our most loving Mother, God has willed to entrust the entire order of mercy to you. I, Xavier, a repentant sinner, cast myself at Your feet humbly imploring You to take me with all that I am and have, wholly to Yourself as Your possession and property ...  If it pleases You, use all that I am and have without reserve, wholly to accomplish what was said of You: "She will crush your head" https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
Well this is why we have bishops.  The episcopate in the Orthodox Church can ameliorate errors on the part of misguided clergy and laity.  Conversely, in those rare cases where the bishops are completely wrong, the people can rise up and resist them.  This happened with Iconoclasm and with the Council of Florence.

So what happens if the Bishop that the people "rise up and resist" turns out to have been right, and the people turn out to have been wrong (i.e. Arianism)?

Are "the people," then, the guarantors of infallibility in the Orthodox church? I know some who posit that, but having seen mob rule in action, I'm skeptical. Large groups of people can definitely err.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
I think some people are being too harsh on Alpha.

Agreed! It is indeed a valiant effort.  8)

But imho it's better to discuss frankly the very many doctrines and practices Catholics and Orthodox already have in common, as well as the few issues still remaining unresolved - and possible steps that can be taken to move closer together - than to place limits on what the grace of God can effect.

The problem is that the "few issues still remaining unresolved" are really just one: the current nature of the Papacy. And that ain't going away anytime soon. After all, the Catholics can legitimately point to the situation between the Russian and the Greek Patriarchs and say, "Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a referee who can make a final call?" (aka the Pope)?  :police:

(While the Orthodox can legitimately point to the current occupant of Peter's Chair and say -- along with an awful lot of Catholics -- "Yeah, but...HIM??" ;D  )

(3) Purgatory. Much about Purgatory is undefined. All that is insisted on is that a Purgatory exists through which souls are cleansed, as many passages in Scripture suggest, and that the souls detained there can and should be assisted by the prayers and suffrages of the faithful, especially the Holy Mass or Divine Liturgy, as all Tradition teaches. So it's hard for us to see why Purgatory has historically been a stumbling block, when the Greek Church also firmly believes in an intermediate state.

The more I read about Purgatory, and how the official description(s) of have changed over the centuries, the more I think the EO -- as well as the Anglicans -- are correct to leave the whole thing undefined. Pray for the dead, certainly, but stop pretending any of us, on this side of the Great Divide, really *know* what's happening with them.

Those are just a couple of points I wanted to highlight. I'm really sorry, but I'm not good at dealing with huge chunks o'text, so if I haven't responded properly to all of your points, well, perhaps try lobbing just one chunk at a time in my direction.  ;)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
I believe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon) is almost equivalent to Immaculata.
I don't believe so. Different meaning of this word, also regarding the icon and we've discussed this a few times on this forum.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
I believe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon) is almost equivalent to Immaculata.

Kind of ironic that when I click the link I get "This page does not exist!" Even the internets proves Catholicism wrong.  :-*

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 02:53:11 AM »

So what happens if the Bishop that the people "rise up and resist" turns out to have been right, and the people turn out to have been wrong (i.e. Arianism)?

Are "the people," then, the guarantors of infallibility in the Orthodox church? I know some who posit that, but having seen mob rule in action, I'm skeptical. Large groups of people can definitely err.

Matthew 16:18 indicates that the Orthodox Church will always prevail, so this does not concern me.  Furthermore the majority of the Alexandrian laity supported St. Athanasius; this is clear from even a very cursory reading of the history.  There is no proof that a majority of the laity ever supported Arius; he did manage to evangelize his heresy with the assistance of the powers of the prince of the air, but those who belonged to our Lord in truth refused the heresy and did not apostasize, and many who did apostasize later repented of it, in such large numbers that the early church resolved to exercise oikonomia and receive them through confession or chrismation.  And this was 15 years or so before the reign of St. Theodosius, who furthermore did not immediately shut Arianism down (hence St. Ambrose and his most faithful laity having to occupy a church in Milan in order to prevent it from being taken over by the Arians).  It is a J/W-Adventist-Unitarian myth that St. Theodosius killed all the Arians, as is evidenced by the seventh century Arian baptistry in Ravenna; rather the historical and archaeological data suggest that most either converted back to the Nicene faith or else embraced Islam.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
Quote from: Theistgal
Those are just a couple of points I wanted to highlight. I'm really sorry, but I'm not good at dealing with huge chunks o'text, so if I haven't responded properly to all of your points, well, perhaps try lobbing just one chunk at a time in my direction.  ;)

Hi Theistgal. My fault. Brevity is not really my strength. :) But I'll try.

1. Purgatory: The principal text in Scripture which speaks of being saved by fire is 1 Cor 3:15 " If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." Now, when representatives of the Greek and Latin Churches have discussed this, Bishops from both sides have agreed that while some kind of purification goes on, Purgative fire can be understood in various senses. Long ago, Pope Gregory the Great, who in his Dialogues calls belief in Purgatory, constat et credendum, says, "there must be a cleansing fire before judgment, because of some minor faults that may remain to be purged away." And that is all really we ask for a common belief in.

One reason Purgatory is important imho is because firm belief in the clear doctrine also has practical effects on how we live our lives; first, it inspires us to do our utmost to relieve the suffering souls there, for e.g. this is how St. Margaret Mary responded after the Sacred Heart spoke to her at length about it, "Writing to Mother de Saumaise she says: "There is a Soul in Purgatory that I cannot comfort as much as I desire. She told me to apply to you and ask you to have three Masses said for her, and, in addition, to offer your Rosary and all the practices of our holy rule for nine days, and a general Communion. She said that these things would greatly alleviate her pains and that she would not be ungrateful." http://catholictradition.org/Two-Hearts/devotion12.htm Can anyone really object to increased zeal and great fervor to relieve the lot of souls in the intermediate state? If not, then a common definition - at least on those same Gregorian terms, from an authority venerated as one of great learning and holiness, in both the Greek and Latin Churches - is reasonable and can be sought. And second, it inspires us to avoid even those slight faults to ourselves avoid Purgatory. Would you disagree, Theistgal?

I agree there is some benefit in leaving more complicated things undefined, where Scripture gives no direct guidance. But if we leave too much defined, we risk losing all sense of urgency in assisting the Poor Souls imho. Some may disagree with me of course.

Regarding the Papacy, Pope Benedict XVI said, "When the Patriarch Athenagoras, on July 25, 1967, on the occasion of the Pope’s visit to Phanar, designated him as the successor of St. Peter, as the most esteemed among us, as one also presides in charity, this great Church leader was expressing the essential content of the doctrine of primacy as it was known in the first millennium. Rome need not ask for more." I think it will work out if the Popes, Patriarchs and Bishops all get together to discuss it, and we join them in prayer. :)

Quote from: Alpo

Kind of ironic that when I click the link I get "This page does not exist!" Even the internets proves Catholicism wrong.  :-*

Oops! It takes me to a "did you mean" page? and the closing bracket is missing - someone else may know better, but I think you've to click on the first link or add the bracket at the end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon) I think that would work.

Dominika, can you or anyone who knows Greek explain if this is accurate: "Panachranta (from Greek: πανάχραντος "all-immaculate") is a type of icon in the Eastern Orthodox Church, that refers to the all immaculate Virgin Mary, the Theotokos.[1]" If not, what does Panachranta mean? Is it something like Most-Pure, otherwise? God bless.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:03:29 AM by Xavier »
"O Immaculata, Queen of Heaven and earth, refuge of sinners and our most loving Mother, God has willed to entrust the entire order of mercy to you. I, Xavier, a repentant sinner, cast myself at Your feet humbly imploring You to take me with all that I am and have, wholly to Yourself as Your possession and property ...  If it pleases You, use all that I am and have without reserve, wholly to accomplish what was said of You: "She will crush your head" https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 02:40:01 PM »
Hi Theistgal. My fault. Brevity is not really my strength. :) But I'll try.

No problem!  8)

1. Purgatory: The principal text in Scripture which speaks of being saved by fire is 1 Cor 3:15 " If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." Now, when representatives of the Greek and Latin Churches have discussed this, Bishops from both sides have agreed that while some kind of purification goes on, Purgative fire can be understood in various senses. Long ago, Pope Gregory the Great, who in his Dialogues calls belief in Purgatory, constat et credendum, says, "there must be a cleansing fire before judgment, because of some minor faults that may remain to be purged away." And that is all really we ask for a common belief in.

Yes, but you're not going to get it as long as you use that little word "purged" which sounds too much like that *other* word that the EO hate soooo much.  ;D

One reason Purgatory is important imho is because firm belief in the clear doctrine also has practical effects on how we live our lives; first, it inspires us to do our utmost to relieve the suffering souls there, for e.g. this is how St. Margaret Mary responded after the Sacred Heart spoke to her at length about it, "Writing to Mother de Saumaise she says: "There is a Soul in Purgatory that I cannot comfort as much as I desire. She told me to apply to you and ask you to have three Masses said for her, and, in addition, to offer your Rosary and all the practices of our holy rule for nine days, and a general Communion. She said that these things would greatly alleviate her pains and that she would not be ungrateful." http://catholictradition.org/Two-Hearts/devotion12.htm Can anyone really object to increased zeal and great fervor to relieve the lot of souls in the intermediate state? If not, then a common definition - at least on those same Gregorian terms, from an authority venerated as one of great learning and holiness, in both the Greek and Latin Churches - is reasonable and can be sought. And second, it inspires us to avoid even those slight faults to ourselves avoid Purgatory. Would you disagree, Theistgal?

Yes, for many reasons. 1) I've developed a real antipathy for St. Margaret Mary Alacoque over the years; do not consider her visions as authoritative in any way; and no longer follow any aspect of the Sacred Heart devotion. (One of the many things that makes me a bad Catholic.)  :police:

But more importantly: 2) Based on the Scripture verse you quoted above, I don't think *any* of us are going to avoid that cleansing fire or the pains therein. *Every* person is going to go through it. And since even "the just man falls 7 times a day," we are *all* going to experience the pain of knowing that we have "fallen short of the glory of God." Of course, we should strive to be "perfect, even as He is perfect," but remember that we won't be, till He makes us so.

I agree there is some benefit in leaving more complicated things undefined, where Scripture gives no direct guidance. But if we leave too much defined, we risk losing all sense of urgency in assisting the Poor Souls imho. Some may disagree with me of course.

Yeah, I'm one of them. I think our trial at the fearsome judgment seat of Christ is swift and decisive, and no one is going to be left languishing in a jail cell because I forgot to say an extra Rosary for them. Some may disagree with me, of course. ;)

Regarding the Papacy, Pope Benedict XVI said, "When the Patriarch Athenagoras, on July 25, 1967, on the occasion of the Pope’s visit to Phanar, designated him as the successor of St. Peter, as the most esteemed among us, as one also presides in charity, this great Church leader was expressing the essential content of the doctrine of primacy as it was known in the first millennium. Rome need not ask for more." I think it will work out if the Popes, Patriarchs and Bishops all get together to discuss it, and we join them in prayer. :)

Would you agree that the "primacy" and the "infallibility" of the Pope are two separate issues, and that *both* would need to be dealt with?

(And again -- *all* of the above is IMHO, and *none* carries any charism of infallibility, claimed or actual!  8) )
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:40:29 PM by theistgal »

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2019, 06:11:51 AM »
Yes, but you're not going to get it as long as you use that little word "purged" which sounds too much like that *other* word that the EO hate soooo much.  ;D

Yes, well, we have to agree on common ground first. Between Catholics and Protestants, Scripture at least is common ground. Between Catholics and Orthodox, is at least the teaching of Greek and Latin Fathers for the first 1000 years common ground? Then, we can go further. At the Council of Florence, some of the representatives of the Eastern Churches that were strongly in favor of union said, up till then they had not seen so many testimonies of the Latin Fathers. Now, having seen them, they approved them. Most Orthodox and even Protestant historians don't deny St. Gregory taught Purgatory - see for e.g. this article by a Protestant scholar, trying to explain away the evidence http://www.newmanreader.org/works/times/tract79.html#section1 imo, it makes a good case for Purgatory. e.g.

""St. Gregory the Great writes, that the soul of Paschasius appeared to St. Germanus, and testified to him, that he was freed from the pains of Purgatory for his prayers.

"When the same St. Gregory was abbot of his Monastery, a monk of his, called Justus, now dead, appeared to another monk, called Copiosus, and advertized him, that he had been freed from the torments of Purgatory, by {15} thirty Masses, which Pretiosus, Prefect of the Monastery, by the order of St. Gregory, had said for his soul, as is recounted in his life." Are you aware, theistgal, of the noble Tradition of having 30 Gregorian Masses offered for the souls of the departed? That ancient custom originates from this and is another ancient witness to the Truth of Purgatory. Such instances are numberless in the lives of the Saints. See below.

"St. Gregory of Tours writes of a holy damsel, called Vitaliana, that she appeared to St. Martin, and told him she had been in Purgatory for a venial sin which she had committed, and that she had been delivered by the prayers of the Saint.

"Peter Damiani writes, that St. Severin appeared to a clergyman, and told him that he had been in Purgatory, for not having said the Divine Service at due hours, and that afterwards GOD had delivered him, and carried him to the company of the blessed.

"St. Bernard writes, that St. Malachy freed his sister from the pains of Purgatory by his prayers; and that the same sister had appeared unto him, begging of him that relief and favour.

"And St. Bernard himself by his intercession freed another, who had suffered a whole year the pains of Purgatory: as William Abbot writes in his life."—Flowers of the Lives of the Saints, p. 830.

I think it is a mistake not to rely on the Saints and what God has told them. I know many modern Catholics do that, but in earlier times, immediately after Sacred Scripture, the writings and the lives of the Saints and anything Our Lord or Our Lady taught them was held in the highest esteem. Do we not consider Tradition, beside Scripture, to be a means through which God gives us knowledge of Him? The more we know God, the more we will love Him. If we chose not to believe what He teaches us through Apostles and through Saints, our love of Him risks growing cold. And then, it will have to be inflamed again in purgatory.  ;D

But more importantly: 2) Based on the Scripture verse you quoted above, I don't think *any* of us are going to avoid that cleansing fire or the pains therein. *Every* person is going to go through it. And since even "the just man falls 7 times a day," we are *all* going to experience the pain of knowing that we have "fallen short of the glory of God." Of course, we should strive to be "perfect, even as He is perfect," but remember that we won't be, till He makes us so.

In general, yes. For e.g. St. Bernard was one of the only persons to go to Heaven directly on the day he died. Almost all the rest required purification or repentance. But first of all, Baptism remits all sin, and thus those baptized near death (or in some cases, in the lives of the Saints, resurrected and baptized - shortly after which, they slept in the Lord again) will go straight to heaven. Receiving Unction (Annointing of the Sick) and Viaticum or the Last Sacraments is also considered another mark of divine favor by which Providence almost completely purifies the soul; the Good Thief went straight to paradise, having received baptism of blood through gratefully accepted suffering. Finally, Martyrs go straight to heaven, on account of which St. Augustine says, no one prays for martyrs, but we rather ask martyrs to pray for us. But yes, it is very difficult, and that's where God challenges us! Needless to say, Our Blessed Mother, being entirely sinless, was taken directly to Heaven in Body and Crowned there gloriously as Sovereign Queen. God bless.

ETA: Primacy and Infallibility. Yes, of course they are different. But if primacy entails at least the right to convoke Ecumenical Councils on the part of the Primate-Bishop, and the duty of other Bishops to come to Council to discuss matters - as Apostolic Canon 34 seems to imply - then the rest can proceed from there. The Roman Church will show in Council from Scripture and Tradition why we believe as we do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:19:13 AM by Xavier »

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
Sorry, Xavier, I don't agree with about 85% of what you just posted, and I don't really feel like wading through yet another Big Block O'Text to explain why.

I will mention one thing. You said "St. Bernard was one of the only saints to go directly to Heaven on the day he died."

How do you KNOW that, exactly? 'Cause that sure doesn't sound like something that any human being this side of eternity could *know, " in the sense of, you know, a provable fact.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:54:25 AM by theistgal »

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
It comes down to whether we choose to trust the Saints or not; both in their sound interpretation of Scripture, and in their supernatural experiences which confirm the Truth. (I trust St. Bernard, but that was an anecdote to confirm how difficult and rare it is to go directly to heaven, unless one lived and died as a Saint.) In the case of Pope St. Gregory, both the one and the other combine to give us solid assurance. The Pope knew Purgatory from the Scriptures and he knew it by experience.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
It comes down to whether we choose to trust the Saints or not; both in their sound interpretation of Scripture, and in their supernatural experiences which confirm the Truth. (I trust St. Bernard, but that was an anecdote to confirm how difficult and rare it is to go directly to heaven, unless one lived and died as a Saint.) In the case of Pope St. Gregory, both the one and the other combine to give us solid assurance. The Pope knew Purgatory from the Scriptures and he knew it by experience.

I appreciate your brevity this time!  ;D

Again, sorry to sound skeptical, but how could Pope Gregory know Purgatory by "experience" if it is something we don't experience till after we die?

As for trusting the saints, sure, to a point. But AFAIK none of them are considered infallible, right? Do you, as a devout Catholic, trust St. Thomas of Aquinas when he denied the Immaculate Conception?

And frankly, the more I read about the life and career of another St. Thomas -- St. Thomas More -- and his unrelenting efforts to burn heretics (in contrast to the more humane, yet uncanonized, Cardinal Woolsey), in particular William Tyndale, the less inclined I am to trust anything he said or wrote -- and to see his own (relatively merciful) execution as "poetic justice" (live by the sword, die by the sword).

So perhaps the best policy, with saints as with anyone else, is "trust but verify!"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:12:33 PM by theistgal »

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:13 AM »
Again, sorry to sound skeptical, but how could Pope Gregory know Purgatory by "experience" if it is something we don't experience till after we die?

Because the souls of the departed frequently appeared to beg for prayers, as when he instituted the Tradition of 30 Gregorian Masses; as they did also to St. Bernard, St. Benedict, St. Martin, St. Malachy and others. Are we unbelievers in heaven to reject well-documented reports of Saints, Angels, Our Lord or Our Lady, or the faithful still in need of purgation appearing to Saints? The number of Fathers and Saints who testify to such souls coming back to ask for prayer are numerous. We can include St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Therese Liseux, St. Faustina, Saintly Sr. Lucia, Ven. Mary of Agreda, St. Catherine of Genoa and several other Saintly Nuns beside the Fathers who do so also.

"Saint Catherine of Siena, Doctor of the Church and co-patron of Italy, refers to the description of Purgatory given to her by Jesus: “And if you turn to Purgatory, you will find my sweet and priceless Providence toward those little wretched souls that foolishly wasted time, and being now separated from the body, they do not have any more time to be able to merit. For them I have provided, by way of you, of you who are still in the mortal life and have time for them and, by means of almsgiving and the divine office that you have said by my ministers, together with fasting and orations done in a state of grace, you are able to shorten for them the time of penalty, trusting in my mercy. O sweet Providence!’ http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/misc/PHP/purg_sc_siena.pdf

St. Cyprian, St. Caesarius, St. Gregory of Nyssa (though some say he taught all are saved by fire), St. Augustine, St. Isidore, St. Bede and St. Jerome and several others teach the same. From the CE, "There are several passages in the New Testament that point to a process of purification after death. Thus, Jesus Christ declares (Matthew 12:32): "And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come." According to St. Isidore of Seville (Deord. creatur., c. xiv, n. 6) these words prove that in the next life "some sins will be forgiven and purged away by a certain purifying fire." St. Augustine also argues "that some sinners are not forgiven either in this world or in the next would not be truly said unless there were other [sinners] who, though not forgiven in this world, are forgiven in the world to come" (City of God XXI.24). The same interpretation is given by Gregory the Great (Dial., IV, xxxix); St. Bede (commentary on this text); St. Bernard (Sermo lxvi in Cantic., n. 11) and other eminent theological writers." http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm

So clearly, this isn't a single statement from a single Saint. Do you believe all these Saints were mistaken? Many of the Saints who taught Purgatory are also revered as such in the Greek Church. One objection of Bp. Mark of Ephesus was that there may be some suffering but not necessarily fire in the intermediate state where souls are detained before the final judgment, the text Luk 16:[23] "And lifting up his eyes when he was in torments, he saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom: [24] And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame." was discussed after that.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:21:18 AM by Xavier »

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
Xavier, the short answer to your last long post is that I'm from Missouri, both literally and figuratively. I need a lot more than "someone claimed a Saint appeared to them in a vision and verified my interpretation of this doctrine."

Also, as I've already stated, I do believe in the "cleansing fire" version of purgatory, and believe we do all have to pass through it. I don't believe in the "help, I'm a prisoner in purgatory and need 5,000 Masses said for me to get out!" version.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »
Oops! It takes me to a "did you mean" page? and the closing bracket is missing - someone else may know better, but I think you've to click on the first link or add the bracket at the end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon) I think that would work.

Dominika, can you or anyone who knows Greek explain if this is accurate: "Panachranta (from Greek: πανάχραντος "all-immaculate") is a type of icon in the Eastern Orthodox Church, that refers to the all immaculate Virgin Mary, the Theotokos.[1]" If not, what does Panachranta mean? Is it something like Most-Pure, otherwise? God bless.

It doesn't work. You have to open wiki, write "Panachranta" and then choose "Panachranta (icon)".
I don't know Greek (well, a very bit of), but I know in Church Slavonic we have term "vseneporochnaya" that sounds "all-immaculate" but as I've said, it had been told you on this forum before, that it's not what you would think.
See these topics:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,74209.0.html
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,73032
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
Hello I want to add a precondition to the list that no one had thought of and that is what about all the converts from Roman Catholic background? I would rather stay Eastern Christian and not western Christian , you would have take that into account for a reunion of Catholics and Orthodox Christian's to take place. People who are like ran away from the western branch of Christianity.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: just orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: technically Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2019, 11:18:56 PM »
Hello I want to add a precondition to the list that no one had thought of and that is what about all the converts from Roman Catholic background? I would rather stay Eastern Christian and not western Christian , you would have take that into account for a reunion of Catholics and Orthodox Christian's to take place. People who are like ran away from the western branch of Christianity.
Don't see what would change at all, except you could commune in a Roman Catholic Church if you wanted to.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »

How would it affect you any more than Western Orthodoxy already affects you? You'd still be able to be Eastern.

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 09:04:38 AM »
Catholic Church wouldn't except my change from Latin to Eastern Christian when I became Orthodox Christian. One has to have Roman Catholic Pope allow the change from western to Eastern Christian. I wouldn't except that forcing me back into a rite I disagree with in not a position I wouldn't want in my life. I would be forced into the Novus Ordo Church and not allowed to be a member of the Eastern Christian Church. I would have to be guaranteed the right too be Eastern Christian.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:13:40 AM by Frank J »

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 11:14:41 AM »
Well, in the highly unlikely event that there is ever anything even remotely resembling a reunion of the Two One True Churches (great phrase I came across in an Anglican blog), I'm sure provisions will be made for you to keep your preferred form of worship. If not, you can always join one of the "True Eastern Orthodox™" schismatic groups that will inevitably result.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:15:08 AM by theistgal »