Author Topic: Theophany ice plunge  (Read 456 times)

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Theophany ice plunge
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:41 AM »
This video shows what's apparently a Theophany custom in Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3k2wYvhyIc

They cut a cross-shaped hole in the ice, then take turns dunking themselves 3 times in the freezing water while making the sign of the cross. Have any of you guys participated in this ritual?
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Theophany ice plunge
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
So I guess the water is blessed first?  Somebody in the video says that it helps improve circulation.  It is already cold outside, but I wonder if it is good for the cardio system to subject yourself to that kind of cold that fast.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
Given that the Russians and Finns have been doing this for centuries....I am going to assume that the 'keel over' rate is small enough to make it not bad for most folks....

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
Ah.  Don't some plunge themselves in lakes also?

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • I think Volckner is a Swedish Psych
  • Jurisdiction: North America
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
What about Americans
Jesus Prayer : the invocation of the name of Jesus, most commonly, 'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me' , although there are a number of variant forms. Not merely a technique or a Christian mantra, but a prayer addressed to the person of Jesus Christ, expressing our living faith in Him as Son of God and Savior.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
My kids have done it on plenty theophany days.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Iron Mike Tyson

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: just orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: technically Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
Given that the Russians and Finns have been doing this for centuries....I am going to assume that the 'keel over' rate is small enough to make it not bad for most folks....

Make it secular and ridiculous and you get a "Polar Bear Plunge" instead.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »

Do laugh but, the polar bear club copied off us. They also do it on the same day a few beaches away from us.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Iron Mike Tyson

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 05:12:10 AM »
It's my big dream to dive into the Theophany water, doesn't matter if it's ice plunge or tropicana.
However, I still haven't possibility to do this (in Poland there are a few places where you can go into the wated sanctified on the Epiphany, but only according to the old calendar, while in Lebanon they don't have this cutom).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline platypus

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
It's my big dream to dive into the Theophany water, doesn't matter if it's ice plunge or tropicana.
However, I still haven't possibility to do this (in Poland there are a few places where you can go into the wated sanctified on the Epiphany, but only according to the old calendar, while in Lebanon they don't have this cutom).

Why not just do it on old calendar Theophany?

You could also just pour some holy water into the water you plan to plunge in; this is what I will probably do next year since I don't live near an Orthodox parish.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »

You could also just pour some holy water into the water you plan to plunge in; this is what I will probably do next year since I don't live near an Orthodox parish.

So I can just do that for my next bath.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »

In Lebanon however the Syriac Orthodox will splash you with insane amounts of water during the kneeling service on Pentecost.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »

Because:
1. 6th January is a public holiday in Poland, while 19th no
2. My mother and my best friends celebrate it on the 6th, we have festal dinner after the church some minor traditions too
3. Since I celebrate Christiams on the 25th Decemebr, it has to be 12 days
And the waters are sanctified on the tiem you celebrate it. So, for me it's 6th January.

xD That sounds interesting.

In Lebanon however the Syriac Orthodox will splash you with insane amounts of water during the kneeling service on Pentecost.

Well, splashing (with not so little amounts) is present among EOs both in Poland and Lebanon as it goes for Epiphany. But it's not enough :D
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »

Was going to mention that. But here the polar bear plunges always have some charity associated with it, so it helps raise $$ for something.

As for jumping in, well i guess id need some of Russia's famous Vodka first

Offline isxodnik

• Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
Recently, boring people swear at such bathing. Say: where have you seen! there is no such custom!! the pagans!!!

Funny, I can't remember if I was swimming. Spinning in my head, as I go out on the ice barefoot, but it might not have been Christening...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »

I’ve thought of doing this from time to time on a regular basis.  I wonder if others do it.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »

I’ve thought of doing this from time to time on a regular basis.  I wonder if others do it.

I'll make sure to put in 10 pounds of ice for the true Russian experience.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
My body temperature runs somewhat low and I get painfully chilled quite easily, so I'll pass.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
What about freezing holy water to make holy ice?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:58 AM »
If you want something warmer, don't boys in some place in Florida (Tarpon Springs?) with a big Greek population jump into the bay to retrieve a cross tossed in by the head of the Greek Orthodox Church in America on Theophany?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 03:13:57 AM »
If you want something warmer, don't boys in some place in Florida (Tarpon Springs?) with a big Greek population jump into the bay to retrieve a cross tossed in by the head of the Greek Orthodox Church in America on Theophany?

Yes.