OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tears of the Panagia  (Read 2609 times) Average Rating: 0
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« on: November 11, 2005, 03:01:44 AM »

Is anyone familiar with this devotional type of beads/ prayer rope called the tears of the Panagia?  I noticed a few shops on the Holy Mountain had them - they are a sort of hard beads on a chain that are usually more decorated than the normal Orthodox prayer rope.  I was going through some of my things from Athos and found one of them among my stuff, but alas didn't get a chance to ask someone about them before I left the Holy Mountain.  Anybody know the history behind this or the devotion linked to this?

Thanks,

Nektarios
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »

"Tears of the Panagia" gave no results in Google. There is, however, a plant, supoosedly growing under the Cross, called "The Tears of Panagia," the seeds of which are used to make a prayer rope. Here is a link: http://www.vyzantion.com/product.php?id=VYZ142

It looks like one can use the Jesus Prayer with it, or use the Jesus Prayer + "Oh Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us."

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Eremitike

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:09:43 PM »

The story I was told while on Athos was that as Mary stood at the foot of our Lord's Cross she wept and her tears fell to the ground. Some time later a bush grew at the very spot where her tears had fallen. It was covered with many small seed pods. These pods became known as the "Tears of the Panagia".

Years later a monk was struggling in the desert, trying to learn to pray. It was very difficult for him to concentrate and focus on his prayers, and he cried before God to help him. The Mother of God appeared to him and told him to find the bush with many seed pods, take them and string them together to make a rosary and then he would be able to concentrate on his prayers. He did so and found that his prayers became much easier. Ever since then this type of "prayer rope" has been known as the "Tears of the Panagia". The beads are actually the seed pods from that type of bush, which now apparently grows wild on Athos. I bought one for my wife to use in her prayers and she loves it, finding it easier to use than the standard type of prayer rope.

Michael
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:23 PM »

Thanks, that picture is exactly the type I have (except mine is red not yellow).  Very nice story behind this. 
anna76

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: GREEK ORTHODOX

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »

wow thanks so much for this story
i love you panagia
Tags: Theotokos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: