Author Topic: Smartphone users warned to be wary of the Antichrist  (Read 1743 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

Leave me alone, I was only singing

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
    • Pustozersk
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Re: Smartphone users warned to be wary of the Antichrist
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
NGL he's absolutely correct.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline platypus

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
It does creep me out a bit to know the godless authorities can track who I talk to, where I go, how fast I drive, what websites I visit, what I look like, etc.

But iPhones are so convenient...
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
I will file this under "LOL Russians."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »
It does creep me out a bit to know the godless authorities can track who I talk to, where I go, how fast I drive, what websites I visit, what I look like, etc.

I don't think you have to worry until they implant one in your head or hand. Btw: Elon musk is working on that. Look up the company Neuralink. Its a great investment that all should have as part of there 401k.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:07:43 PM by Tzimis »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:27:15 AM »

I don't think you have to worry until they implant one in your head or hand. Btw: Elon musk is working on that. Look up the company Neuralink. Its a great investment that all should have as part of there 401k.

Probably the internet will be more and more expanded outside computers and cellphones, the internet of things will connect cars, ovens, fridges, cellphones, even bathroom mirrors and all sorts of appliances, all connected to social medias and integrated, basically a surveillance network that gathers info about everything since what someone have in their fridge till to how many times someone goes to the bathroom, add also health apps and finances apps, and basically all info about an individual will be out there in the virtual realm to be used by corporations and governments for all sorts of purposes like tax collecting, spionage, data collecting for targeted advertisement, blackmail, political control...

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »

+1
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Ikonos

• O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries
  • Kyrios Iesous Christos Theotokos
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
Cash will probably be outlawed, so everyone will be forced to use digital transactions. Surveillance technology designed to stop criminals will now be used to persecute Christians.

A Prophecy from 15th Century

… Each person will be registered; not only every facet of his affairs and his life, but his every word, every movement of his mental faculties will be under constant surveillance so that he will lose the habit of thinking for himself out of fear that the expression on his face might involuntarily reflect something incompatible with the authority of the world ruler, i.e., Antichrist. Everyone will wear “stone masks.” All labor, every square inch of ground, every grain of wheat will be under the authority of Antichrist…
Excerpt from the book: Reflections of a Humble Heart: A 15th-century text on the spiritual life

http://australiaorthodoxroca.org/?x=entry:entry150805-034657
In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
Cash will probably be outlawed, so everyone will be forced to use digital transactions. Surveillance technology designed to stop criminals will now be used to persecute Christians.

… Each person will be registered; not only every facet of his affairs and his life, but his every word, every movement of his mental faculties will be under constant surveillance so that he will lose the habit of thinking for himself out of fear that the expression on his face might involuntarily reflect something incompatible with the authority of the world ruler, i.e., Antichrist. Everyone will wear “stone masks.” All labor, every square inch of ground, every grain of wheat will be under the authority of Antichrist…
Excerpt from the book: Reflections of a Humble Heart: A 15th-century text on the spiritual life

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »

I was thinking of these kind of "prophecies" the other day when the rcc one was being mocked ;)

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
What is the patriarch trying to accomplish?
I do not think that "being careful with smartphones" really helps.
But yes, history is succession of ever greater concentration of power - interrupted by temporary breakdowns - so
it makes sense to assume that at some point most if not all of it will be concentrated in a very small group of people, probably even one person.
Also, it seems reasonable to assume that the internet would play a major role in such a process.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »
It's easy to laugh and perhaps the reference to antichrist is a bit much, but it's hardly wacky to point out that the internet enables concentration of power, surveillance, etc., not to mention a rapid moral, cultural, spiritual corrosion. That's not all it does or can do, granted, but it is definitely a dominant direction. And in fact the internet was originally devised as a counterintelligence/ counterinsurgency weapon, so this is not new.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
The Patriarch's words were great. The Antichrist is as much of an important deal to be wary of as it was in the time of the Early Church Fathers. What he said on smartphones is also commonplace, at least in the West.

It's easy to laugh and perhaps the reference to antichrist is a bit much, but it's hardly wacky to point out that the internet enables concentration of power, surveillance, etc., not to mention a rapid moral, cultural, spiritual corrosion. That's not all it does or can do, granted, but it is definitely a dominant direction. And in fact the internet was originally devised as a counterintelligence/ counterinsurgency weapon, so this is not new.
+1
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
What is the patriarch trying to accomplish?
I do not think that "being careful with smartphones" really helps.

What he tries to accomplish is preparing to retreat to conservative alt-Orthodoxy in case the  situation in WO doesn't break his way. They are already talking about returning to 'authentically Russian' Old Believer traditions. Patr. Kirill is way too worldly himself (and a de facto high government official, with access to classified comm system and FSO security detail) to take this seriously.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
Too worldly to believe in the Antichrist, and then include commonplace collocations on technology? That's a bold statement to make.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
Too worldly to believe in the Antichrist, and then include commonplace collocations on technology? That's a bold statement to make.
'Bold statement ' would be saying that he believes in Putin more than in God. That is a bridge too far. All I'm saying is he clearly uses modern technology himself, as well as endorses Russian  state (where Internet surveillance is mandatory, and trying to avoid it is a crime). So these words are just preemptive excuses in case he is forced to full on chism from the WO .

Offline Briven

• High Elder
    • Pustozersk
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 03:55:12 PM »
'Bold statement ' would be saying that he believes in Putin more than in God. That is a bridge too far. All I'm saying is he clearly uses modern technology himself, as well as endorses Russian  state (where Internet surveillance is mandatory, and trying to avoid it is a crime). So these words are just preemptive excuses in case he is forced to full on chism from the WO .

Hypocrisy does not invalidate opinions
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
Question was "what the patriarch tries to accomplish". Answer to this: he prepares arguments in case he is forced to secede from all, most, or part of the World Orthodoxy over the Ukraine spat. Build himself a yet another "True Genuine Orthodox Church". I do not believe this is what he actually wants to do, but he may have no real say in this decision, and wishes to have documented arguments ready.

Perhaps I am too melodramatic, and the man just tries to stay relevant in increasingly anti-Western Russian discourse. Which is, again, something not natural to a worldly and hedonistic disciple of Met. Nikodim (Rotov). He is not an extremist by nature, just opportunist.

Offline WPM

• Fan of the Jewish Holidays
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »

the Internet was built so people could network and communicate between computers.
The first 5 books of the To-Rah is Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
http://www.jewfaq.org/current.shtml
Sound the Ram's Horn and it shall be a New Moon Festival

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »
Reading BBC is like reading CNN, just...no.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
Question was "what the patriarch tries to accomplish". Answer to this: he prepares arguments in case he is forced to secede from all, most, or part of the World Orthodoxy over the Ukraine spat. Build himself a yet another "True Genuine Orthodox Church". I do not believe this is what he actually wants to do, but he may have no real say in this decision, and wishes to have documented arguments ready.

Perhaps I am too melodramatic, and the man just tries to stay relevant in increasingly anti-Western Russian discourse. Which is, again, something not natural to a worldly and hedonistic disciple of Met. Nikodim (Rotov). He is not an extremist by nature, just opportunist.
Or he just gave an interview giving an opinion on a modern topic like religious leaders anywhere tend to do? LOL, why must everything be so Machiavellic when it turns to Patriarch Cyril.

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 02:26:57 AM »
Or he just gave an interview giving an opinion on a modern topic like religious leaders anywhere tend to do? LOL, why must everything be so Machiavellic when it turns to Patriarch Cyril.
Perhaps, but this would not adequately reflect the import of his words. Patr. Kirill is perceived as a part of Russian government, so his words are parsed as such. Imagine the same passage spoken by a Cabinet-level official. It's like that. Except Russian government is very, very nontransparent, and parsing what the bleep it's speakers mean when they say anything is a game not unlike reading tea leaves.

P. S. in the same vein, the fact that Putin spent his Christmas in a monastery with Met. Tikhon (as opposed to the service held by Patr. Kirill) is parsed too. Some see it as a bad sign for Patr. Kirill. Then again, it's Putin, so no one knows anything for sure.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Patr. Kirill is perceived as a part of Russian government

Russia is a secular country.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Briven

• High Elder
    • Pustozersk
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »

He remains a figure who conforms with the Russian government and takes political stances often.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »

He remains a figure who conforms with the Russian government and takes political stances often.

Still not part of Russian government. That would mean position like Danish Lutheran Church has.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
yeah do not trust the BBC in this case it has misinterpreted what Patriarch Kiril has really said
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 08:50:39 PM »
Still not part of Russian government. That would mean position like Danish Lutheran Church has.
Yes, because it is not in Russian Constitution. You know how much Russians respect their Constitution!!!

Patriarch Kirill is a de-facto high government official. Hence, btw, his constant image problems with yachts, cars, watches, vacation properties, and the like - they do not suit a monastic bishop, but practically mandatory for a member of Russian ruling upper crust (which is, btw, also NOT in Russian Constitution). One almost feels for the guy.

StanislavU, please remember to use proper titles for clergy, regardless of what you think about them. 
Future infractions may result in points.  Thanks.  --Ainnir
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:37:46 PM by Ainnir »

Offline Briven

• High Elder
    • Pustozersk
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
Yes, because it is not in Russian Constitution. You know how much Russians respect their Constitution!!!

Patriarch Kirill is a de-facto high government official. Hence, btw, his constant image problems with yachts, cars, watches, vacation properties, and the like - they do not suit a monastic bishop, but practically mandatory for a member of Russian ruling upper crust (which is, btw, also NOT in Russian Constitution). One almost feels for the guy.

I don't understand why the man can't simply not do those luxurious things. He was a monk once, wasn't he?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:41:29 PM by Ainnir »
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline StanislavU

• Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »
I don't understand why the man can't simply not do those luxurious things. He was a monk once, wasn't he?
Because sporting bling that is impossible to afford giving man's official income is how Russian leaders signal status. One of the ways. It's a hierarchy thing. Given his place in the pecking order, he simply can't have a watch that is not at least as expensive as what any regional governor or a government minister wears. Wiseguys would not understand.

Offline Ray1

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:51 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-46794556

I'm really sorry but this was the first thing came to mind when I read the headline.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:34:40 PM by Ray1 »

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Team
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »

Thank you for the first serious response to this article.

Just a note: The Internet was actually originally designed as a self-healing autonomous network linking DARPA computer sites which could survive a nuclear attack, hence routing protocols and Internet routers which are designed to automatically reroute traffic around equipment failures.  The system is much robust than the AT&T network was at the time it became operational in the 1970s, in that a nuclear attack in New Jersey would have destroyed AT&T Long Lines Division’s manual Network Operations Center in Bedminster and decapitated the Long Lines division, and further strikes could have utterly disabled the network.  It was also vulnerable to having its Toll Offices bypassed with a toy whistle (see “Captain Crunch”).  The early designers of the Internet could not have imagined and did not anticipate that it would one day actually replace the PSTN, and become the dominant function of mobile telephones.  Indeed the though of running the UNIX operating system on a computer the size of the integrated SoC on the iPhone would have been considered too avante garde to complicate, as Moore’s Law was only beginning to become known.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:39:06 PM by Alpha60 »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 06:51:42 PM »
Jack Chick has been saying as much since the '80s, before the mass accessibility to computers.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Team
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »
Jack Chick has been saying as much since the '80s, before the mass accessibility to computers.

That cartoon looks suspiciously like Chancellor Palpatine addressing the Senate.

Offline platypus

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:09 PM »

Metropolitan Jack Iakovos Chick.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8