Author Topic: Different Ways Languages Express Crossing Yourself  (Read 1848 times)

Offline iohanne

Different Ways Languages Express Crossing Yourself
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
How do you say "to cross one's self" or "to make the sign of the Cross" in your language or languages you know?  Is there a special verb that's different from the word for Cross?  I'll go first:

I've been told that Spanish distinguishes between santiguarse (general sign of the Cross), signarse (three small crosses on forehead, lips and over the heart) and persignarse (combination of both the above, one after the other).  I'm not sure how legit these distinctions are though.

In French we say "se signer."

As for Tagalog and Ilocano, I don't know because my mother, when she wanted my brother and I to make the Sign, she would call out as we were ging out the front door, "In the Name!!!" and in obedience we would then cross ourselves.  All other times (in Church or during Mass or home prayers) we absorbed by osmosis so I don't think I ever lesrned if there wasa specific word.

Offline iohanne

Re: Different Ways Languages Express Crossing Yourself
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
How do you say "to cross one's self" or "to make the sign of the Cross" in your language or languages you know?  Is there a special verb that's different from the word for Cross?  I'll go first:

I've been told that Spanish distinguishes between santiguarse meaning "to sanctify one's self" (general sign of the Cross); signarse meaning "to sign one's self" (three small crosses on forehead, lips and over the heart): and persignarse meaning something like "to really thoroughly sign one's self"  (combination of both the above, one after the other).  I'm not sure how legit these distinctions are though.

In French we say "se signer" which also means "to sign one's self."

As for Tagalog and Ilocano, I don't know because my mother, when she wanted my brother and I to make the Sign, she would call out as we were going out the front door, "In the Name!!!" and in obedience we would then cross ourselves.  All other times (in Church or during Mass or home prayers) we absorbed by osmosis so I don't think I ever learned if there was a specific word.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Two similar topics have been merged into one.
 --Ainnir
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:44:16 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline iohanne

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:18:24 PM »
Two similar topics have been merged into one.
 --Ainnir

Hello Ainnir!  I was on the bus and we went through a rural area where internet got patchy so my first post didnt go through properly, at least, that's what I thought but I guess I double posted.  Is there anyway to delete the first post since the second post is the updated version?

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
 We say in Classical Armenian: Anun hor ~ yev vortvo ~ yev Hokvoen Surpo ```

Touch the forhead ~ the heart ~ left sholder ~ right sholder ~ forearm across the mid section then bow while saying: Surpo (Holy) ```

Name of the Father ~ and The Son ~ and The Sprit Holy ```
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:28:37 PM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:05:56 AM »
In Polish we say "robić znak krzyża" (make sign of cross) or "żegnać się/przeżegnać się" that mean literally "say goodbye", "do farewell", there is slight difference between them, as "prze" means "over", "cross over" and "się" is "self". If there is without "się" e.g "przeżegnał ją" it means making cross above somebody, as a blessing.

In Serbian it's "prekrstiti se" and it means (over)crossing yourself".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
In portuguese is ''fazer sinal da cruz'', literally means ''make sign of the cross'', there is also the verb ''persignar'' that means the same, but not as common.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
In portuguese is ''fazer sinal da cruz'', literally means ''make sign of the cross'', there is also the verb ''persignar'' that means the same, but not as common.
One might just use "cruzar-se" (cross oneself) or "benzer-se" (bless oneself).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline iohanne

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Thank you, all, for your responses.  I'm starting to see a pattern with the few examples we've got, lol

We say in Classical Armenian: Anun hor ~ yev vortvo ~ yev Hokvoen Surpo ```

Touch the forhead ~ the heart ~ left sholder ~ right sholder ~ forearm across the mid section then bow while saying: Surpo (Holy) ```

Name of the Father ~ and The Son ~ and The Sprit Holy ```

I wish I knew Armenian! Is this Classical or Modern or both or Eastern or Western? 

In Polish we say "robić znak krzyża" (make sign of cross) or "żegnać się/przeżegnać się" that mean literally "say goodbye", "do farewell", there is slight difference between them, as "prze" means "over", "cross over" and "się" is "self". If there is without "się" e.g "przeżegnał ją" it means making cross above somebody, as a blessing.

In Serbian it's "prekrstiti se" and it means (over)crossing yourself".

Even though Polish and Serbian are Slavic languages, the words are so similar!

signum - znak/żegnać
crux - Pol. krzyża/ Serb. prekrstiti
per - Pol . prze / Serb. prekrstiti
se - Pol. się / Serb. se

Do you happen to know what is used in Arabic / Syriac?

One might just use "cruzar-se" (cross oneself) or "benzer-se" (bless oneself).

Yes, these sound very familiar to me.  In French you could also say faire le signe de la Croix or in Spanish hacer la señal de la Cruz. 

Se croiser isn't used in French at all to mean the making of the sign of the Cross but I think it works in Spanish, cruzarse, though I'm not sure if that's ever said.  Se bénir and bendecirse sound way too general though.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
Do you happen to know what is used in Arabic / Syriac?

In Arabic:
rasam  išārat aṣ-ṣalīb - draw sign/indication of the cross [more for crossing yourself]
rasam ʿalāmat aṣ-ṣalībʿ- draw sign of the cross [more for blessing of priest]

This verb rasama is used also for literal drawing, also for smile "draw a smile". And from this r-s-m there is risāma ("ordination"/chirotony).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
"tehdä ristinmerkki" that is to make sign on the cross in Finnish.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
In Greek it's "κάνω τον σταυρό μου" /ˈkɐno ton stɐˈvro mu/ when crossing oneself (it literally means "I make my cross"), and the transitive "σταυρώνω" /stɐˈvrono/ when someone else is blessing us with the cross. So:
"Κάνω τον σταυρό μου" - Ι'm crossing myself
"H μητέρα μου με σταύρωσε το πρωί πριν φύγω" /i miˈteɾɐ mu me ˈstɐvrose to proˈi prin ˈfiɣo/ - "My mother crossed ne before I left in the morning"
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline sestir

• Weihos Bokos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: independent
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
Swedish: göra korstecken — do/make crossign.
'korstecken' is anarthrous, suggesting either that it's uncountable (which is my take) or that a single crossing is assumed.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
German: sich bekreuzigen, which is quite comparable to the English "to cross oneself".
sich bekreuzigen contains the reflexive pronoun sich which means "oneself" and emphasizes that it is something you do on your own choice. The German prefix be cannot really be translated to English, it comes with a slight indication that an action is planned and intended.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
Se bénir and bendecirse sound way too general though.
Yeah, in Portuguese it's more specific, at least in Brazil. Rethinking it, though, it might sound a bit archaic. Not old book archaic, but old lady archaic. There's also "persignar-se", which is old book archaic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:09:39 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 02:18:30 PM »
I googled Japanese for curiosity's sake (many Christian terms are derived from Portuguese) and it's apparently a native term, 十字を切る juujiokiru. 十字 juuji means "cross", and it is goon, that is, a Wu Chinese loan in both writing and sound (definitely a distant one though, since apparently the modern Wu pronunciation is "zeqzr"). を切る o kiru means "to cut along", and is a native Japanese compound (despite the second character being kanji, that is, Chinese writing). So it would be "to cut a cross along oneself". Very interesting.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:21:06 PM by RaphaCam »