Author Topic: Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ...  (Read 746 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ...
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
So, ... Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ... Thanks
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
Re: Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »

Isn't that the entire Faith?
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:20:29 PM »
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »

Little prayer book devotionals
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »

I don't think the Orthodox have a whole lot of those. They're not as big on "private devotions" as the Catholics are. Not saying either way is right or wrong, just a different emphasis.

To me, the Divine Liturgy is chock-full of devotion to the Holy Trinity, as well as to the Theotokos -- way more so than any RC Mass I've ever attended to, even the most devout. Maybe that's why they don't need the "little devotions" as much.

Also, just a suggestion: it would help a lot if you could expand your posts a bit. For example, this one could have been:

"What do you think about having a private devotion to the Holy Trinity, such as may be found in some little prayer book devotionals I've seen recently, such as this one?" (then provide an example)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:04:04 PM by theistgal »
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »

I don't think the Orthodox have a whole lot of those. They're not as big on "private devotions" as the Catholics are. Not saying either way is right or wrong, just a different emphasis.

To me, the Divine Liturgy is chock-full of devotion to the Holy Trinity, as well as to the Theotokos -- way more so than any RC Mass I've ever attended to, even the most devout. Maybe that's why they don't need the "little devotions" as much.

Also, just a suggestion: it would help a lot if you could expand your posts a bit. For example, this one could have been:

"What do you think about having a private devotion to the Holy Trinity, such as may be found in some little prayer book devotionals I've seen recently, such as this one?" (then provide an example)

Yes, the Liturgy is offered to the Holy Trinity.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »

On this point, our prayerbooks are filled with Akathists, including a very popular one to Our Sweetest Lord Jesus Christ, which the Jordanville Prayerbook and most others have, as well as the Book of Akathists.  All of these, and the Psalters, are chock-full of Trinitarian glorifications.   One could also argue that the Divine Liturgy is a corporate devotion to the Holy Trinity.   The Trisagion as used and understood by the Eastern Orthodox is also Trinitarian and could be used as a devotion to the Trinity; the Oriental Orthodox view it as primarily Christological, hence the Theopaschite clause added by St. Peter the Fuller.

Now, in Orthodoxy we strongly associate the Trinity with the descent of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost; this is probably why in the Eastern Rites there is no Trinity Sunday after Pentecost.  One will find substantial specifically Trinitarian content in the Pentecostarion in the form of Matins for Pentecost, and the other offices associated with that feast, and to a lesser extent the Baptism of our Lord.

Finally, since the descent of the Holy Spirit occurred in the Sixth Hour, one could regard the office of Sext in a highly Trinitarian context and use it as a devotion to the Trinity as a whole in keeping with every aspect of the Orthodox tradition.  Pursuant to that WPM if you want to participate in an existing devotion to the Trinity, you should join Mor Ephrem’s Sexting thread (which is about praying the Sixth Hour, or Sext, and not about anything risque; Mor is reclaiming the word sexting to mean something holy rather than something deeply perverse).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Amen.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
By the way, what does "sweetest" mean in the context of the prayer?

I don't mean to derail the thread .
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
By the way, what does "sweetest" mean in the context of the prayer?

I don't mean to derail the thread .

In the Orthodox Jordanville Prayer book some Akathists address the Lord as Sweetest Jesus.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
Hmm. Thanks.

It probably doesn't mean something like "He's the sweetest person I've ever met," does it?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »
Hmm. Thanks.

It probably doesn't mean something like "He's the sweetest person I've ever met," does it?

No, the Akathist goes - Sweetest Jesus -

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Thank you.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »

So isn't the Catholic Mary treated like an idol? Not sure.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »

I'm sure you're aware that this is a standard Protestant charge against both Catholics *and* Orthodox.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »

I'm sure you're aware that this is a standard Protestant charge against both Catholics *and* Orthodox.

Why ... I've been to a Catholic Church before.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:50:11 PM by WPM »

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »

And what did you see there that made you "not sure" if the Catholics treated Mary as an "idol"?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »
The Protestants have kind of a blind side and think that our prayer to Mary stops with her.  They do not realize that we are asking her to pray for us.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »

And what did you see there that made you "not sure" if the Catholics treated Mary as an "idol"?

I saw the papal version of Virgin Mary next to a picture of Pope Benedict XVI
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:19:27 PM by WPM »

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »

What does the "papal version" of the Virgin Mary look like?

(btw, kind of off topic but funny, I asked a cute little girl at our church a few weeks ago if she'd ever heard the story of Cinderella, and she said, "Yeah, but I heard a different virgin of it."  ;D  )
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:33:55 AM by theistgal »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »

White dress, gold crown.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »

White dress, gold crown.

And what colors are her non-papal dress and crown?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:53 AM »

White dress, gold crown.

And what colors are her non-papal dress and crown?

Supposedly red and blue ... Like the coronation of her as the Queen of heaven.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
Is this Roman Catholic saint like a little figure with a crown

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
So are you disturbed by the concept of the Theotokos as Queen? Or do you just dislike the style of the artwork?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
So are you disturbed by the concept of the Theotokos as Queen? Or do you just dislike the style of the artwork?

No, I got used to it over the years. 

There is the one of Revelation of the 12 stars upon her head.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »

Then why did you earlier describe it as something that made you think the RC worshipped Mary as an "idol"?

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
White dress, gold crown.

You mean, Our Lady of Fatima, or how she looked like when she allegedly appeared to the children in Fatima, Portugal?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
More like, .. The Supernatural Faith

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »

Then why did you earlier describe it as something that made you think the RC worshipped Mary as an "idol"?

I don't know ..

I'm including everyone at OC.net in my daily prayers to Virgin Mary to be submitted to Jesus.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
White dress, gold crown.

You mean, Our Lady of Fatima, or how she looked like when she allegedly appeared to the children in Fatima, Portugal?

That's probably what he's talking about. I'm not big on the Fatima statue myself. However, I don't think it proves anything, one way or the other, about whether or not the RC's worship Mary as an idol. Some individual RCs may very well do so, but the official teaching doesn't support it. We ask Mary to pray for us to God -- just as the Orthodox do.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »

I don't know ..

I'm including everyone at OC.net in my daily prayers to Virgin Mary to be submitted to Jesus.

:D
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
White dress, gold crown.

That's probably what he's talking about. I'm not big on the Fatima statue myself. However, I don't think it proves anything, one way or the other, about whether or not the RC's worship Mary as an idol. Some individual RCs may very well do so, but the official teaching doesn't support it. We ask Mary to pray for us to God -- just as the Orthodox do.

Isn't that like 1917? If you think about it 1900 is only a 100 years from 2000

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »
Hmm. Thanks.

It is meant in the context of infinite love, not in a context that is even remotely sexual or inappropriate.   You can read the Akathist here: http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

(Note for some reason it seems to not be loading on iOS in Safari)
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »
The images of honey from the OT come to mind, too.  I actually can't think of any quotes off the top of my head, though.   :o I may be off base.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
The commandments are called sweeter than honey somewhere in the psalms.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
The commandments are called sweeter than honey somewhere in the psalms.

Psalm 19 (Hebrew numbering).
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »

Certain kinds of RC's do worship Mary

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »

If they give her the worship that's due only to God, they're committing a sin. That's Church teaching. Not every Catholic (or Orthodox) obeys their Church's teachings, right?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Pretty sure almost no Roman Catholics consider St. Mary an actual part of the godhead, as in the Trinity.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
Our whole faith is around the Holy Trinity, even though not every prayer mention the Holy Trinity as such. Some, however, do, such as the whole opening prayers.

"In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen." - Three persons of the Holy Trinity.

"Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy upon us." - Holy is mentioned three times, because God is in three persons.

"Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit;" - Three persons again.

"All-holy Trinity, have mercy upon us. Lord, be merciful to our sins. Master, forgive our transgressions. Holy One, visit us and heal our infirmities, for Your name's sake." - Holy Trinity mentioned in the first sentence. The second sentence ("Lord") is for the Father, the third ("Master") to the Son, the fourth ("Holy One") to the Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps, buddy!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
Our whole faith is around the Holy Trinity, even though not every prayer mention the Holy Trinity as such. Some, however, do, such as the whole opening prayers.

"In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen." - Three persons of the Holy Trinity.

"Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy upon us." - Holy is mentioned three times, because God is in three persons.

"Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit;" - Three persons again.

"All-holy Trinity, have mercy upon us. Lord, be merciful to our sins. Master, forgive our transgressions. Holy One, visit us and heal our infirmities, for Your name's sake." - Holy Trinity mentioned in the first sentence. The second sentence ("Lord") is for the Father, the third ("Master") to the Son, the fourth ("Holy One") to the Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps, buddy!

I understand this.... ^^^

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »

If they give her the worship that's due only to God, they're committing a sin. That's Church teaching. Not every Catholic (or Orthodox) obeys their Church's teachings, right?

If you like to follow rules.

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »

If you like to follow rules.

"Uncle."