Author Topic: Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
What Orthodox venues/events are there for single Orthodox people to meet a potential spouse outside of Church?  It seems to be a problem for many.  Sometimes there are no other single people at a parish.  What do your pastors have to say?  A local priest conveyed to me that it is very difficult for some Orthodox to find another single Orthodox.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:54:59 PM »
Ski Resorts
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »
That's interesting.

We do have some organizations at church which I may join. I guess that's one way to meet people.

I believe only large parishes in big cities have events for singles.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
That's interesting.

We do have some organizations at church which I may join. I guess that's one way to meet people.

I believe only large parishes in big cities have events for singles.

The priest I questioned is in a big city.  His parish does not offer any events for singles.  He said it is difficult for Orthodox people.  I started this post to see what other areas do.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:03:24 AM »
I'm sorry.

My parish hasn't had a game night (where you play cards) in a few years. I live in a small town now.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »
Yeah, it is difficult. In the Polish Orthodox Church, since we're a minority Church, in order to prevent mixed (i.e with Roman Catholics) marriages, there are such things done:
1. Meetings of Orthodox students (and post-students, i.e young working people) after the Sunday Liturgy, organised by parishes but also for chapels for students.

2. Parties called "zapusty" i.e before fasting periods, at parish houses; they're cheap and usually attract people from other parishes. Unfortunately, at my parish zapusty used to be legendary (like 120 people and various interesting happenings/actions), but last 4 years there is a criss, and only 20, max 50 arrive and not for all night. There are also "małanka" i.e new year/carnival parties. Some of them are cheap, but most of them are much more expensive, organised not only at parish houses but also in some restaurants, and they attract people of more-varied age.

3. Foot pilgrimages to various holy places in Poland; ofc not only singles participate, but clergy states that one of the goals of the pilgrimages are to create new Orthodox marriages. And at least for Warsaw pilgrimage to the Holy Mount Grabarka is true. Actually, I think that's one of the best ways, since you see how the certain person behaves in various situation, you see him/her 24 hours a day, you do various things together (pray, go, eat, cleaning, sleep in one hall/room etc.). You see this person just right after walking up, without prepared hair, make-up etc.
There is also non-foot pilgrimage (actually, a 3-days meeting) of the Orthodox Youth at the Holy Mount Grabarka every May.

4. Various workshops: choirs, traditional craft or whatever.

But for me it doesn't work, probably becaue of the shortage of the decent single male candidates within the POC.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 06:12:59 AM »
In the parish where I met my wife, which admittedly had the advantage of being in a university town, parishoners in their 20s and early thirties often had house parties connected to the start/end of fasts, which was a very good way for people to meet each other.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »
I'm in my 40s.  At this age, you look for recently widowed/divorced women around my age and see if you still have chemistry.  Helps to be involved in church activities and be part of the church's "grapevine."

A friend in his 50s found his current divorced girlfriend through his mother.  His ex-wife left him for her first love who was on Facebook.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:06:39 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
My question exactly. I'm currently separated pending a divorce from a nightmarish marriage, and have wanted to slowly get into a place where I'm able to date, knowing that another (for all intents and purposes) mixed-faith relationship probably wouldn't work. I was talking to a woman I met on an app who is a devout (Evangelical) Christian and who works for a company that organizes social media outlets for churches. She wasn't bothered by the fact that I'm getting divorced, but was put off by the fact that I'm Orthodox...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
My question exactly. I'm currently separated pending a divorce from a nightmarish marriage, and have wanted to slowly get into a place where I'm able to date, knowing that another (for all intents and purposes) mixed-faith relationship probably wouldn't work. I was talking to a woman I met on an app who is a devout (Evangelical) Christian and who works for a company that organizes social media outlets for churches. She wasn't bothered by the fact that I'm getting divorced, but was put off by the fact that I'm Orthodox...

What evangelical wants to be with an dol worshipper?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
The internet is the way to go.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
I'm thinking of moving to an island in the north of Scotland, where I can quietly freeze to death.

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »
I'm thinking of moving to an island in the north of Scotland, where I can quietly freeze to death.

Last I heard Father Leo Aldea beat you to it.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 01:09:57 PM »
I think most people would likely meet for sex
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline platypus

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Where do Orthodox singles meet? Trick question, we don't.

But seriously, in two parishes I've attended regularly, and several I've dropped in on, I've only met one Orthodox girl my age. And the priest warned me that I should stay away from her.

Yeah, it is difficult. In the Polish Orthodox Church, since we're a minority Church, in order to prevent mixed (i.e with Roman Catholics) marriages, there are such things done:
1. Meetings of Orthodox students (and post-students, i.e young working people) after the Sunday Liturgy, organised by parishes but also for chapels for students.

2. Parties called "zapusty" i.e before fasting periods, at parish houses; they're cheap and usually attract people from other parishes. Unfortunately, at my parish zapusty used to be legendary (like 120 people and various interesting happenings/actions), but last 4 years there is a criss, and only 20, max 50 arrive and not for all night. There are also "małanka" i.e new year/carnival parties. Some of them are cheap, but most of them are much more expensive, organised not only at parish houses but also in some restaurants, and they attract people of more-varied age.

3. Foot pilgrimages to various holy places in Poland; ofc not only singles participate, but clergy states that one of the goals of the pilgrimages are to create new Orthodox marriages. And at least for Warsaw pilgrimage to the Holy Mount Grabarka is true. Actually, I think that's one of the best ways, since you see how the certain person behaves in various situation, you see him/her 24 hours a day, you do various things together (pray, go, eat, cleaning, sleep in one hall/room etc.). You see this person just right after walking up, without prepared hair, make-up etc.
There is also non-foot pilgrimage (actually, a 3-days meeting) of the Orthodox Youth at the Holy Mount Grabarka every May.

4. Various workshops: choirs, traditional craft or whatever.

But for me it doesn't work, probably becaue of the shortage of the decent single male candidates within the POC.

I'm very impressed by the efforts of the Polish Church to matchmake the young Orthodox people. Best of luck, Dominika!
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
Both the men in my choir are married.

Most of our choir are women.  :-[

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm in my 40s.  At this age, you look for recently widowed/divorced women around my age and see if you still have chemistry. 
I think men at such age may also look for younger women, not only recently widowed/divorced women.

I'm very impressed by the efforts of the Polish Church to matchmake the young Orthodox people. Best of luck, Dominika!

Because we're in fear to disappear. Over 90% population of this country is Roman Catholic, so in case of mixed marriages, children are usually baptised at RC Church. plus  if we count huge migration of Ukrainians that attent our churches....

Frankly speaking, I have less and less hope that I'll meet a right person within the POC. So, that's a serious problem for me.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
Frankly speaking, I have less and less hope that I'll meet a right person within the POC. So, that's a serious problem for me.

Just take one of your Lebanese seminarians. Then two problems are solved at once: You have a husband and the POC has enough priests.

As for the general problem, the POC needs to adopt akrivia on baptising children: Whoever baptises his or her child in another church, should be excluded from the eucharist for 10 years.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
I think most people would likely meet for sex

I would.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »
But seriously, in two parishes I've attended regularly, and several I've dropped in on, I've only met one Orthodox girl my age. And the priest warned me that I should stay away from her.

Does she post here?
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »

Just take one of your Lebanese seminarians.

LOL, at least a few people said me this. But I don't know if they see potential problems.

the POC has enough priests.
But the POC has enough priests.

As for the general problem, the POC needs to adopt akrivia on baptising children: Whoever baptises his or her child in another church, should be excluded from the eucharist for 10 years.
it would make the situation worse.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »

It would drive away some who don't care anyway, but those who do care would take things less lightly.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »

It would drive away some who don't care anyway, but those who do care would take things less lightly.

If somebody really cares, he/she tries to avoid such situations.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »

We do not have such pilgrimages here.  The closest thing is an Orthodox Camp.  I understand that some people do meet and eventually date and then marry.  But, camp is pretty much for younger people.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
If I go to a monastery, I, er, can't have any fun at all.   ;)  :laugh:

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »

We do not have such pilgrimages here.  The closest thing is an Orthodox Camp.  I understand that some people do meet and eventually date and then marry.  But, camp is pretty much for younger people.

Ah, we have such camps too, organised by parishes and or/dioceses, and yeah, they're usually for people "until" university.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »

Does she post here?

Lol
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline platypus

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »

Does she post here?

She could be anyone; who's to say?

Just take one of your Lebanese seminarians.

LOL, at least a few people said me this. But I don't know if they see potential problems.

Another option is to find yourself a strong, handsome Catholic man and convert him. A friend of mine had this happen to him. He's hard at work raising little Orthodox babies now.

"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »
I'm in my 40s.  At this age, you look for recently widowed/divorced women around my age and see if you still have chemistry. 
I think men at such age may also look for younger women, not only recently widowed/divorced women.

My ex-wife and ex-girlfriend  (separate people) were 7 years older than I was.  I'm interested in someone around my age but no more than 10 years younger than I am and definitely not older.  I'm not interested in having children and I can't take a chance that a younger woman would want to have children especially when women are delaying childbirth into their mid to late 30's.  My ex-girlfriend married and had children in her mid 40s.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:06:21 AM by SolEX01 »

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2018, 02:46:58 AM »
She wasn't bothered by the fact that I'm getting divorced, but was put off by the fact that I'm Orthodox...

#priorities

My unasked for advice for anyone looking for a marriage match, stay far away from any woman who considers herself a "devout evangelical". I know times are tough out there being a minority religion in the Western Hemisphere, but don't do it. Those types really buy into the whole "just me, Jesus and my Bible" nonsense OR get involved with almost culty tiny churches. If they're devout, they have a deeply ingrained "anti-Catholic" bias that is triggered by you being Orthodox. You may have a similar enough moral compass to get along well beyond the first stages of dating, but poop will hit the fan once kids are involved.

Source: I'm a woman, and I was raised "devout evangelical".

I do think checking out an app might be the next best thing if there are not enough young people at a parish to make it work (those POC mixers sound cool!). I now have two relatives and one best friend married or almost engaged because of dating apps (non-Orthodox though). I'd recommend trying out Bumble (great for shy guys and seems to be more relationship vs hookup friendly) and stating explicitly in the bio you're looking for a woman Orthodox or interested in converting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bumble-dating-app-walkthrough-photos-2017-8

It's weird, since I've become Orthodox I know more great men who can't find a woman willing to be Orthodox versus when I was evangelical it was tons of women who couldn't find a man interested in marriage.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:48:27 AM by maneki_neko »
主哀れめよ!

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2018, 03:29:38 AM »
Another option is to find yourself a strong, handsome Catholic man and convert him. A friend of mine had this happen to him. He's hard at work raising little Orthodox babies now.

I'm aware of this and I'm opened for such "solution".

My ex-wife and ex-girlfriend  (separate people) were 7 years older than I was.  I'm interested in someone around my age but no more than 10 years younger than I am and definitely not older.  I'm not interested in having children and I can't take a chance that a younger woman would want to have children especially when women are delaying childbirth into their mid to late 30's.  My ex-girlfriend married and had children in her mid 40s.
I see. Indeed, if it was a younger woman than you there would be a big change that she would like to have at least one child.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 03:42:12 AM »
I'd love to adopt a child. Guess I can't, because I'm not married.

I've been told since I was 19 that I can't have children, because I have ovarian cysts. I hit menopause really early, about 27.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you all this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:42:46 AM by biro »

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2018, 03:57:16 AM »
No. Missionary dating is a bad idea in general. It can "work" occasionally, agreed. But chances are you risk your marriage before it even started.
I have come to the conclusion that it may be better for practicing Orthodox and Catholics to marry benevolent atheists than one another.
Sad but true.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 04:53:01 AM »
Are there any benevolent atheists?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:49 AM »

I've met several who are not only accepting of people of faith, but actually defend them against their militant colleagues. They live along the lines of 'just because I have no faith doesn't mean no one else should'. Some would be better described as agnostics, but if they identify as atheists, I'll take them at their word.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
No. Missionary dating is a bad idea in general. It can "work" occasionally, agreed. But chances are you risk your marriage before it even started.
I have come to the conclusion that it may be better for practicing Orthodox and Catholics to marry benevolent atheists than one another.
Sad but true.
Lord, have mercy.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 12:35:13 PM »
A friend of mine received a blessing from his spiritual father to go on eHarmony.  After receiving attention from all the wrong women, he finally updated his profile to read, "I am an Orthodox Christian.  If you are not an Orthodox Christian or are not willing to become an Orthodox Christian, do not contact me."  One particular non-Orthodox woman was very intrigued by this and contacted him.  Today they are happily married with a few children.  :)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

I've met several who are not only accepting of people of faith, but actually defend them against their militant colleagues. They live along the lines of 'just because I have no faith doesn't mean no one else should'. Some would be better described as agnostics, but if they identify as atheists, I'll take them at their word.

Hmm. Don't know any.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Sad but true.

No, I always say that I prefer believing Catholic than an atheist/agnostic. An inquier, person looking for God is an exception, and it can work too for me.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »
Sad but true.

No, I always say that I prefer believing Catholic than an atheist/agnostic. An inquier, person looking for God is an exception, and it can work too for me.
Well, of course everyone needs to decide this on their own.

An Orthodox-Catholic couple where both are really serious about their faith faces all kinds of problems. This is one reason why they are relatively rare.
One of the other reasons is that such people will often look for potential spouses only within their faith.
Such a couple often goes separate ways on Sundays, they have different calendars, one is still fasting while the other celebrates Easter, etc.
This may not sound like a really big deal, but it is exhausting over time.

Things get really ugly once children enter the picture as both East and West require parents to baptize and raise the children in their respective faiths.
It should be easier when one of the two is only lukewarm and more or less leaves the other to lead and decide matters of faith and upbringing of the children.
The situation may then be similar to a "benevolent atheist/agnostic" scenario, where the atheist/agnostic does not care about religion,
but also, and very importantly, does not hinder (or is even supporting) the spouse practicing their faith and raising the children in the faith.

As far as the thread topic is concerned: I have no idea :laugh:
I guess the problems and caveats are no different from what most minorities - religious or not - face in any country.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 06:05:15 AM »
^^ I know all of this as my parents are Catholic-Orthodox couple (however my father, being is Orthodox, is not so practising as my mother that's Catholic) and in my both Polish and Serbian families there have been such marriages.

And I still think that it's easier for me to find understanding and common language with another Christian (well, the exception are all Protestants, but they're very few in Poland) than with person that doesn't care about Christ. It was easy to notice it with guys that very initially very intested in me, but were more nominal Catholics, and with true Catholics.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »
^^ I know all of this as my parents are Catholic-Orthodox couple (however my father, being is Orthodox, is not so practising as my mother that's Catholic) and in my both Polish and Serbian families there have been such marriages.

And I still think that it's easier for me to find understanding and common language with another Christian (well, the exception are all Protestants, but they're very few in Poland) than with person that doesn't care about Christ. It was easy to notice it with guys that very initially very intested in me, but were more nominal Catholics, and with true Catholics.

I get your point with understanding and common language. There´s some truth to that.
Still, imho, in the long run, there are potentially very severe problems to be expected and people tend to underestimated those,
especially when already feeling attracted to one another.
I still believe that Catholic-Orthodox marriages can work and even be good.
Of course, I hope and pray that my marriage will turn out to be one of those - but truth be told I am kinda .... disillusioned.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2018, 07:47:20 AM »

I get your point with understanding and common language. There´s some truth to that.
Still, imho, in the long run, there are potentially very severe problems to be expected and people tend to underestimated those,
especially when already feeling attracted to one another.
I still believe that Catholic-Orthodox marriages can work and even be good.
Of course, I hope and pray that my marriage will turn out to be one of those - but truth be told I am kinda .... disillusioned.
I'm sorry to hear that.   :-\  I think some of that is going to happen in any marriage not matter how well-matched; however, disparate faiths, mindsets, etc. do add layers of complexity, if not struggle.  Sorting through them adds to the work that is already marriage.  While I think it can be fine and even great, both spouses need to be willing to work relatively equally, and be on the same page as to what that work looks like.  Talk to both priests.  I do agree that preparation for actual marriage is pretty thin to nonexistent, depending on one's environment.  Secular Western culture does the exact opposite of prepare people for such a relationship.  But then, I think the nature of a Christian marriage differs pretty drastically from that of a secular one, anyway.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
I will caveat ^^that with the acknowledgement that, yes, ideally people should seek out someone who is matched for not only faith but devotion.  It's just that realistically, it doesn't always work out that way, for various reasons, as I think most of us know.