OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:52:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ the Eternal Tao, by Hieromonk Damascene  (Read 3047 times) Average Rating: 0
Shankar

Faith: Not Sure Yet

« on: November 03, 2005, 03:54:47 PM »

I just obtained a copy of this book, and am really excited to read it, once I finish the books I am working on now.  I was curious if anybody on this site who has read it has any opinions on the book?  Thanks.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 04:01:43 PM »

I've read it.  I think the book is wonderful. 
Shankar

Faith: Not Sure Yet

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:50:09 PM »

Thanks.  The book looks really interesting, and I'm hoping that looking at Christianity from another angle will help me move forward toward conversion.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:30 PM »

I've heard that in Chinese Bibles, the Logos of John 1 is translated as "Tao."

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »

Ask sdcheung.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »

My Chineese Christian friend has assured me that the Logos is the Chineese Tao, and is so translated.  Interestingly, I find the early Taoist writings to more clearly point to the Christ than the Hebrew writings of the Jews.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 03:35:43 AM »

But isn't the Dao an impersonal force, rather than a person God? I've read the Tao Te Ching several times, and I'm not seeing Christ in it. Perhaps I should try harder.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 06:19:14 AM »

But isn't the Dao an impersonal force, rather than a person God? I've read the Tao Te Ching several times, and I'm not seeing Christ in it. Perhaps I should try harder.

How do you describe the Second "Person" of the Trinity before His 'enmanment'?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 07:06:53 AM »

You mean, how do you describe the Son before His incarnation? As the church fathers taught, whenever God spoke to the Hebrews, it was the Son speaking on behalf of the Father.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »

There is no need to try to see Christ in the Tao Te Ching since you have the "Law and the Prophets", not to mention the Gospel and Epistles.  As the law and prophets pointed to the coming of the Christ for the Jewish people, the Tao Te Ching also pointed to the incarnation of God into our form so that we may know him for God's sheep in China.  Also, the Logos was "The Word", which is an impersonal force just as the Tao.  You will also see some of this if you study the Hindhu vedic writings.  There is only one truth, and it was written on all men's hearts.  However, over the centuries this truth has been distorted by sin and by the fall of man.  Man's soul crys out to God in many different languages over the ages, and the Lover of Mankind has not allowed these crys to go unanwered.  All of the truely God seeking religions of the World pointed to the incarnation of Christ.  But like the religion of the Jews, all was fulfilled by His death and resurection.  All that is needed for salvation is contained within the Church.  However, being an amature historian, I have always found it interesting studying how various cultures were prepared for this.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: