OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 01:12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent/Nativity Fast Wreath & Traditions  (Read 2448 times) Average Rating: 0
Cathechuman

« on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:52 PM »

As recent converts to Orthodoxy, my wife and I are trying to ease the transition for our children.  When we were Episcopalians, we used a four candle Advent wreath (five if you count the candle in the center).  I have seen an eight candle Orthodox "wreath" (seven on the hub and one in the middle) and I can "convert" my old Advent wreath for the right number.  I do not, however, know any customs for when to light the candles.  Just lighting one each Sunday means there would only be six candles lit.  If I lit the first one on Nov 15 and the last Christmas day, I suppose the number would be correct.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

From reading other posts, I gather the use of an "Advent Wreath" is not a real Orthodox tradition.  Still, I hope to "Baptize" it in my house.  I also plan to use an Advent calendar with a Nativity icon.

Any other suggestions to make our first Nativity Fast a blessing would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »

From reading other posts, I gather the use of an "Advent Wreath" is not a real Orthodox tradition.

At an OCA church I had been attending they used an Advent wreath which was placed in front of the iconostasis.

Before the liturgy began the youth from the church came up front by the wreath and prayed some prayers (I do not recall what they were) and then one of the candles was lit. Then all the youth went back to their seats and the younger altar servers prepared for the liturgy. This was done every Sunday until the Nativity was celebrated. IIRC, this was done in place of the Hours being read.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 08:49:20 PM »

Father  Conaris has a service published as part of his book, "Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home" available from Light and Life Books.  It is an excellent expansion in Orthodox terms of the  Western Advent Wreath to an Orthodox Nativity Lent/Advent wreath.  We have used it for the last 14 years to great effect with our children and now Grand children.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:02:07 AM »

From reading other posts, I gather the use of an "Advent Wreath" is not a real Orthodox tradition.ÂÂ  Still, I hope to "Baptize" it in my house.ÂÂ  I also plan to use an Advent calendar with a Nativity icon.

I don't konw about it's history, but it sounds like a good plan Smiley

Any other suggestions to make our first Nativity Fast a blessing would be appreciated.

Fwiw, my wife and I bought two rolls of wrapping paper, one shiny silver and one an interesting looking darkish (but shiny) blue, and made a three bar cross out of it (silver cross with blue background), mounted it on cardboard, and hung it up. So now, when people visit, even if they ignore our icon table, they surely won't be able to miss the shiny 3 foot cross hanging on the wall!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:03:31 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:05:49 PM »

I remember seeing these when I was young (Antiochian or should I say EOC days), but what IS the point/tradition of these wreaths?  I've never understood (or was ever told).  I remember there being purple and pink candles and one white (to be lit on Christmas).
Cathechuman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 06:01:21 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far.

Thomas, based on your recommendation, I today ordered "Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home" from Light & Life.  While I was at it, I ordered a Nativity icon and a 2006 icon calendar.  I really like the offerings at Light & Life.  Seems like a significant portion of my paycheks are going there!

Based on my priest's recommendation, I earlier ordered "The Winter Pascha."  While I was at it I also ordered "How About Advent" and "Biggest Birthday Party."  I think one of these last two may have the eight candle Advent wreath instruction, if so, I'll post it here.

I am really looking forward to Nativity season as an Orthodox Christian (it may take a while to get used to fasting, however!).  I have been Christian for many years, but the rich truth of Orthodoxy has already furnished me and my wife such wonderful spiritual insights.

Your brother in Christ,

Mark
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:55:29 PM »

Excellent book suggestions, I will have to see if the church booksotore has them on hand or wait til i get some $$ and order them myself! Thanks!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: