Author Topic: One for the anti-vaxxer crowd  (Read 39830 times)

Online Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
  • I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
  • Faith: Lost
Re: One for the anti-vaxxer crowd
« Reply #720 on: April 16, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
It is still a social issue that is often contentious, such that people typically don't bring it up at work or at formal gatherings, on the basis of "don't talk about religion or politics at work." Thus, it falls under politics, especially so considering that this thread has talked specifically about the government's role in mandatory vaccination (which is literally politics).

I mean, try following your logic to other social issues.

"It isn't political to show the physical reality and gore of late-term abortions."
"It isn't political to show the amount of incarceration for drug use."
"It isn't political to discuss the psychological impact of children being raised by gay parents."
"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #721 on: April 16, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
Social issues are interlaced with politics, sure, but this thread started as a focus on the misinformation that influences the choices of the general population. It's been less than a year, and we're already seeing the natural progression of such choices, that is making government intervention more probable.

The other contentious social issues you mention are not inherently political either, and on this forum they would belong on the Non-Religious Topics board, until someone decided to link them to the US government, as if those were exclusively problems of the US.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Online Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #722 on: April 16, 2019, 01:39:51 PM »
So, when does something get political and worthy of censoring?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:41:14 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Arachne

• Toumarches
« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
So, when does something get political and worthy of censoring moving to the appropriate board?

Fixed it for you, because asking the right question is essential in getting the right answer - which is: as the Rules specify.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #724 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
Imo it would only come close to censorship if the private fora were paywalled.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:53:51 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
It is still a social issue that is often contentious, such that people typically don't bring it up at work or at formal gatherings, on the basis of "don't talk about religion or politics at work." Thus, it falls under politics, especially so considering that this thread has talked specifically about the government's role in mandatory vaccination (which is literally politics).

I mean, try following your logic to other social issues.

"It isn't political to show the physical reality and gore of late-term abortions."
"It isn't political to show the amount of incarceration for drug use."
"It isn't political to discuss the psychological impact of children being raised by gay parents."

You're forgetting that this thread was made to demonize people and silence those who speak out.

It was never about "information" it was about, "Hey look at me and my progressive ideals, if you dont think like me YOU'RE WRONG".

We just have to look at the censorship to see that...

Online Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #726 on: April 16, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
So, when does something get political and worthy of censoring moving to the appropriate board?

Fixed it for you, because asking the right question is essential in getting the right answer - which is: as the Rules specify.

Well, the rules say when it's about politics, but never define what constitutes politics.

Offline Arachne

• Toumarches
« Reply #727 on: April 16, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »
You're forgetting that this thread was made to demonize inform people and silence those who speak out spread deception.

Fixed that for you.

It was never about "information" it was about, "Hey look at me and my progressive ideals, if you dont think like me YOU'RE WRONG".

No one likes being duped, but stopping that takes some reading proficiency.

Go forth and... find some, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #728 on: April 16, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
You're forgetting that this thread was made to demonize inform people and silence those who speak out spread deception.

Fixed that for you.

No one likes being duped, but stopping that takes some reading proficiency.

Go forth and... find some, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dont want to be given more points or i would.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:23:04 PM by Rubricnigel »

Offline Arachne

• Toumarches
« Reply #729 on: April 16, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
All right, folks, we've hit diminishing returns here. Since people don't seem to want to discuss within board rules and no further useful information seems forthcoming, the discussion ends. What information has been posted will remain, available to anyone inquiring in good faith. Anyone who wants to continue with the political aspect of the issue, you know where the Politics board is.

~Arachne, Section Moderator

Offline Arachne

• Toumarches
« Reply #730 on: November 27, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
We interrupt this lockdown to bring you a public service announcement.

It didn't take long. Vaccinate your kids.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50506743

As you were.~A
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:10:25 PM by Arachne »