Author Topic: Is releasing gas during prayer a sin?  (Read 275 times)

Offline Isaiah53IsMessiah

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Is releasing gas during prayer a sin?
« on: November 09, 2018, 12:28:53 AM »
Ok... I know may sound funny but I'm being serious here guys. Sometimes when I pray I feel one coming and I have let it go a few times... Is this a sin? I've done it while studying scripture and/or the Fathers too. Thoughts? Does it make one unclean or am I just being too scrupulous here? I don't think I have found anything in the Fathers concerning it. The closest I have come is a mention by St. Augustine in City of God describing how some men are able to control their flatulence and produce singing without stink. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:32:40 AM by Isaiah53IsMessiah »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
Re: Is releasing gas during prayer a sin?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 12:29:39 AM »
That depends.  From which end?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:29:55 AM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline mcarmichael

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:24 AM »
toilet humor isn''t funny.
"Use the force." - Yoda

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 01:21:07 AM »
If you can fart "O Gladsome Light," you're ok.  If not, you're going to hell.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:44 AM »
Prayer is (among other stuff) talk with God, building relation with Him.
So, relasing gas may happen to us during a talk with somebody or sex (???). It's not something nice but sometimes it may be out of control. If people can lie with this, so God, being Merciful, too, even more.

I'd propose just relax and focus on the issue, not on the circumstanes (I know, it's difficult).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »
Another reason why incense is a great thing.  ;)

But seriously, God is not offended by our uncontrollable and natural bodily functions.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:20:23 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
You need reverence and attention while praying so obviously you shouldnt fart. If you have urgent need, stop praying, go to toilet and when you are done return and pick up from where you stop.

Do not release gas infront of icons or holy things even if you are not praying.

If it happend by incident do not panic, its not fatal or sin, you can add extra prayer to make up for it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »
One should probably avoid it for reference, as one would do in a social meeting, but it's definitely not a sin and I don't think it's a good reason to stop prayer or risk getting piles.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Maybe that's why so many religions encourage fasting?
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
There's an Irish joke about a man asking a priest, "Can I drink while I pray?" The priest says, "No, you must maintain a reverent sobriety." He tells his friends and they tell him, "You should have asked, 'Can I pray while I drink?'" He goes back to the priest and asks that instead, and the priest says, "Of course, my son. There is never a wrong time to converse with the Lord."
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
One should probably avoid it for reference reverence, as one would do in a social meeting, but it's definitely not a sin and I don't think it's a good reason to stop prayer or risk getting piles.
Fix'd
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
Sure you can. As long as no one in praying next to you. Like in church.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
Maybe that's why so many religions encourage fasting?

LOL.

Ok... I know may sound funny but I'm being serious here guys. Sometimes when I pray I feel one coming and I have let it go a few times... Is this a sin? I've done it while studying scripture and/or the Fathers too. Thoughts? Does it make one unclean or am I just being too scrupulous here? I don't think I have found anything in the Fathers concerning it. The closest I have come is a mention by St. Augustine in City of God describing how some men are able to control their flatulence and produce singing without stink. 

The correct answer is that as long as the gaseous discharge is accidental.  Also, there are times during the liturgy when going go the bathroom could be disruptive; I would try to avoid it except for the most dire emergencies during the Little Entrance, the Great Entrance, or certain other processions, the reading of the Gospel, and the consecration (Institution narrative and epiclesis, in the Byzantine Rite, the whole period from the Sursum Corda until “Thine own of thine own we offer unto thee, on behalf of all and for all.”) 
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes a great electric bill."
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
There's an Irish joke about a man asking a priest, "Can I drink while I pray?" The priest says, "No, you must maintain a reverent sobriety." He tells his friends and they tell him, "You should have asked, 'Can I pray while I drink?'" He goes back to the priest and asks that instead, and the priest says, "Of course, my son. There is never a wrong time to converse with the Lord."

Always loved that one!  :D

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx