Author Topic: Abortions reduced in Russia by 63.5% since 2000.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Xavier

• Slave of Love consecrated to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary through the Holy Family of Joseph, Jesus and Mary!
  • OC.net guru
  • For the sake of Jesus' Passion, Lord have Mercy.
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Faith: Ecumenical Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
Abortions reduced in Russia by 63.5% since 2000.
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
Well, this is good news. Thoughts? Although there is still some distance to go for its complete abolition, there has been a decrease of almost 2/3rds in abortions in Russia since 2000. What do you think are some of the ways in which pro-lifers around the world can work together to promote a culture of life and peace that respects all life and works for the common good?

Source: http://orthochristian.com/116806.html

"ABORTION DOWN 2/3 IN RUSSIA SINCE 2000
Moscow, October 26, 2018

The number of abortions in Russia has dropped by nearly 2/3 since the beginning of the century, according to statistics presented by Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova, reports Interfax-Religion.

In 2000, there were 2,138,000 recorded abortions in Russia, and in 2017—779,999.

“That’s a very serious decline—63.5%,” Golikova noted.

Moreover, the number of Russians who condemn abortion has tripled in 20 years, from 12 to 35%. There is still a long way to go, however.

It was previously announced in January 2017 that the number of abortions had been halved in Russia in the span of four years, with a 13% drop in 2016—96,300 abortions. As Minister of Health Veronika Skvortsova, the number of abortions by desire, without medical conditions, dropped by 72,000 that year.

The fight against abortion is the Church’s most important social work, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill stated at the opening of the VII Church-wide Congress for Social Work in Moscow in October of last year.

His Holiness has twice addressed the State Duma, calling for them to find a solution to the “horrifyingly high” number of abortions that continue to plague Russia.

The Church recently opened its 58th shelter for pregnant women and mothers, and it also operates 169 humanitarian aid centers throughout the country.
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with your most precious Blood and your sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the intention of your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices ... https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Pray the Rosary every day to obtain Peace for the world"

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Abortions reduced in Russia by 63.5% since 2000.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
The reduction is mainly due to increased availability/ use of contraception.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
What do you think are some of the ways in which pro-lifers around the world can work together to promote a culture of life and peace that respects all life and works for the common good?

Sex ed and contraception.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
But that would mean admitting people have sex, and we can't do that.  /s
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
Actually it’s because Xavier had been flying a bomber back and forth over Russia dropping Humanae Vitae pamphlets.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »
Good news. And no, it's not due to contraception and sex education, which were heavily promoted during Communism. It is due to the revival of Orthodoxy and to Putin's desire to keep the Russian population increasing. As for his motives, I doubt Putin is truly concerned about ending abortion. His efforts to curtail abortion are most likely purely political. But if innocent unborn lives are saved, I rejoice.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
https://www.authorhouse.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/697915-Rebel-Song

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
    • Pustozersk
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Good news. And no, it's not due to contraception and sex education, which were heavily promoted during Communism. It is due to the revival of Orthodoxy and to Putin's desire to keep the Russian population increasing. As for his motives, I doubt Putin is truly concerned about ending abortion. His efforts to curtail abortion are most likely purely political. But if innocent unborn lives are saved, I rejoice.

Selam

You're correct. It's odd to assert that contraceptive use is increasing, when it was heavily promoted under the evil Soviet rule.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
And no, it's not due to contraception and sex education, which were heavily promoted during Communism.

;D Much heavy. So promote. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »

Selam

Where are you getting your information? Abortion was the primary form of birth control throughout the Soviet period. Contraception was officially promoted but most women had little to no access or education. The availability and use of contraceptives is higher in Russia than ever before. Putin publicly came out against an abortion ban, pointing out that the Soviet Union tried banning it in the 30’s, resulting in a rise of illegal abortions.

Meanwhile the birth rate remains quite low.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:19:51 PM by Iconodule »

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:41 PM »

Selam

Where are you getting your information? Abortion was the primary form of birth control throughout the Soviet period. Contraception was officially promoted but most women had little to no access or education. The availability and use of contraceptives is higher in Russia than ever before. Putin publicly came out against an abortion ban, pointing out that the Soviet Union tried banning it in the 30’s, resulting in a rise of illegal abortions.

Meanwhile the birth rate remains quite low.

The Russian Communist stance on abortion in the 1930's was certainly not what it was in the  latter part of the 20th century, or what it is today amongst universal Communists. As far as "education," that's an amorphous concept that must be narrowly defined before we can discuss it intelligently. "Education" has become a political term used by all sides to promote their own political agendas. As Bob Marley said: "I don't have education, I have inspiration. If I were educated, I'd be a damn fool."

Selam
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:55:21 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
Stalin’s abortion ban lasted until the 50’s. It was not effective. If Josef Stalin can’t stop people from having abortions Putin sure as heck can’t.

Sex education is not amorphous. If people don’t know how sex and contraceptives work they will have more unplanned pregnancies and, in modern times, that unfortunately means more abortions.

The availability and knowledge about contraceptives  has markedly improved in the past two decades in Russia.

Offline Briven

• High Elder
    • Pustozersk
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:56 PM »
Stalin’s abortion ban lasted until the 50’s. It was not effective. If Josef Stalin can’t stop people from having abortions Putin sure as heck can’t.

Sex education is not amorphous. If people don’t know how sex and contraceptives work they will have more unplanned pregnancies and, in modern times, that unfortunately means more abortions.

The availability and knowledge about contraceptives  has markedly improved in the past two decades in Russia.

We should legalize murder. If Obama can't stop it, Trump sure can't.

Also, doing one evil to prevent another evil is still doing an evil.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:24 PM »
Take it up with the President of “Holy Russia” then: http://tass.com/society/981087
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:12:25 PM by Iconodule »

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 12:34:13 AM »

Sex education is not amorphous. .

You're better than this. You know that's not what I said at all.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »

What if the guy shoots blanks, but still wants to use contraceptives for role play? Is it still evil?
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »

Selam

Give it a rest. Sex ed is the only education I was referring to. Your Bob Marley sloganeering was off topic.

Offline Briven

• High Elder
    • Pustozersk
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 07:41:16 AM »

What if the guy shoots blanks, but still wants to use contraceptives for role play? Is it still evil?

Yes. It's distorting the purpose of sex, and is unnatural and condemned.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:41:30 AM by Briven »
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »

Selam

Give it a rest. Sex ed is the only education I was referring to. Your Bob Marley sloganeering was off topic.

Stuff like this, and this.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »

Selam

Stuff like this, and this.

The fact that
Can you use clingfilm as a condom?
No, you can't use clingfilm, or a plastic bag or a crisp packet instead of a condom.

Is an actual question and answer proves that sex education is important to teach.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
The fact that
No, you can't use clingfilm, or a plastic bag or a crisp packet instead of a condom.

Is an actual question and answer proves that sex education is important to teach.

The mister is a science teacher authorised to teach sex ed (before the disastrous 1994 shift). He has stories of worse ignorance to tell.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
The fact that

The mister is a science teacher authorised to teach sex ed (before the disastrous 1994 shift). He has stories of worse ignorance to tell.

I believe it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
But that would mean admitting people have sex, and we can't do that.  /s
Lmao
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
The reduction is mainly due to increased availability/ use of contraception.

You are right.  And it is the same for all of the post-USSR countries.  Under communism women were turning to abortion because of poor access to contraceptives.