OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now I know I'm Orthodox....  (Read 1791 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: October 30, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »

Now I know I'm Orthodox; one of the ya-ya's at church invited me over for Thanksgiving dinner. Cool

Proverbs 22:7
Michael

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 06:22:22 PM »

For those of us not on the same saide of the Atlantic as you, please would you explain what a ya-ya is, and also the social significance of being invited to a Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm guessing this is a sign of being accpted as one of the "in-crowd", perhaps?  If so, I'm pleased for you.  It's good to feel accepted.

Many thanks in advance for clarifying.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 06:27:14 PM »

Thanksgiving's the easy one.  It's an American holiday observed in remembrance of the Pilgrims in Massachusetts making it through some rough winters duing the beginning of their colony.  Its frequently celebrated with extended family (sometimes several generations together), and the whole point is basically to eat.  While some disagree on what you're supposed to have, the one indispensable dish is turkey (again, that's a Pilgrim thing).  It's a seriously big deal.

As for ya-ya's, I'm not sure, but I think those might be the Greek equivalent of babushki.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 06:42:29 PM »

Thanksgiving's the easy one.ÂÂ  It's an American holiday....

It's also a Canadian holiday celebrated in early to mid October, with a similar inspiration.  Here again, turkey is the centrepiece of the thanksgiving meal.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 08:21:29 PM »

A yia-yia is a greek grandmother. Thanksgiving is celebrated with family, however, if one lives in an area with no family and has no way to travel home for Thanksgiving, friends will frequently invite those "single" persons to celebrate Thanksgiving with them. It shows you're part of the "in-crowd" so to speak when a ethnic powerhouse of a woman who stands barely 4 feet 6 inches wants you to come over. You're not "apart" from the "ethnic cradles" or anything.

Qui cantat, bis orat
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:45:35 AM »

Thanksgiving for the last 3 years for me has been a gathering of single or close to single people who live too far away to travel, or don't get along with their family, or just plain have no family.  This year we'll be introducing some new friends of ours who just immigrated to Thanksgiving. 
Weirdest location for a Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had...  we were coming back from a long trip, got back a day early (Thanksgving), no food in the fridge, all shops closed, even the Chinese resteraunts were closed... so my mom & dad took us to the only resteraunt that was open... Denny's.  Needless to say we were the only ones there, and the staff thought we were the oddest people they'd ever seen.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

One year we didn't realize you needed reservations on Thanksgiving...foolish us, so we had to go to a Chinese resturant.  Since we were the only ones to show up, we got the royal treatment...lots of extras...and the promise that next year they too would be closed.  Never go to an Italian home for Thanksgiving.  I didn't and I could look at food until Christmas.  They did the full Italian style meal and the traditional Thanksgiving fare.  Everytime I was invited to my friend's house the meal would loast 4-5 hours long.  You eat a little, talk for a good while...eat somemore...talk.  The meal was over when fresh fruit was served.  My stomach still hurts when I think about it and that was 20+ years ago!!!   Thank goodness Ukrainians, here, just do the traditional turkey et al.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 12:36:31 PM »

Yeah, Thanksgiving is a turkey meal... although I didn't get any turkey because we had it early because of the Nativity Fast. And where I come from a ya-ya is a looney  Cheesy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: