OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The doors! The doors!"  (Read 2311 times) Average Rating: 0
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« on: October 30, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »

I would like to propose that we change the deacon's line, "The doors!  The doors!" to , "Turn your cellphones off!"   Wink

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 04:05:06 PM »

Wisdom. Let us attend!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 11:46:59 PM »

LOL!!  Lucky for me, I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this..

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:56:25 AM »

I've heard my priest, before the sermon, address the congregation saying, "Unless you're talking to Jesus on your cellphones, you had better turn them off."  A liturgy at our church would not be complete without someone's phone going off during Communion.  I don't think people have bad intentions, they just don't think about turning them off at church.

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 03:08:56 AM »

Maybe it is just luck or coincidence but I have rarely heard a cellphone go off in church - ROCOR, GOA or even in my RCC days. 

As a cashier at a retail store though I get annoyed when with cell phones.  If someone wants to talk on their phone throughout an entire transaction that is routine, I don't care (I actually enjoy the sort of break from the ridiculous "guest service" routine we are supposed to do).  But it does irk me when something is not usual (i.e credit card is declined, card machine can't read the magnatic strip) and people aren't willing to pause their conversations to deal with whatever isn't right.  And it is not important conversations these people are having either - it is along the lines of what they ordered at starbucks or what color of shirt they found on sale....
Eremitike

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:15:31 AM »

A parish I visited last Sunday had a sign in the Narthex not only telling people to turn off their cell phones, but reminding them that electronic games were prohibited, as well as gum-chewing in church. I guess they have a lot of kids there, and parents that need to be educated also.

I heard of an electronic device being made in Japan that jams cell phone signals inside of large rooms so that they won't ring and disturb the occupants. I'll bet once they hit the market, many parish councils will receive requests to purchase these from their priests Smiley

Michael
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »

I heard of an electronic device being made in Japan that jams cell phone signals inside of large rooms so that they won't ring and disturb the occupants. I'll bet once they hit the market, many parish councils will receive requests to purchase these from their priests Smiley

Those devices are available now. I'm sure many priests who learn of them are tempted; but at about $2000 per installation I doubt many have approached the parish council for funding.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »

Someone who was an usher at Foundry UMC in Washington, DC told me that the entire time he was president Bill Clinton never took his cell phone into church with him. If the president of the United States can do w/o his cell phone for a littl ewhile on Sunday morning, why can't these people?

Proverbs 22:7
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:14:55 PM »

A parish I visited last Sunday had a sign in the Narthex not only telling people to turn off their cell phones, but reminding them that electronic games were prohibited, as well as gum-chewing in church. I guess they have a lot of kids there, and parents that need to be educated also.

Michael
I may be mistaken, but I think they've been outlawed in the US.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »

Before cell phones we all enjoyed the ride home as it was free from ringing phones.  Now that's a thing of the past.  I can't imagine why people would want to lose quite time?  Are we that important that we can't be away from pur phones for an hour or 2?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 08:57:26 PM »

We've resolved it well for ourselves---we simply don't have a cell phone.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:27 AM »

Before cell phones we all enjoyed the ride home as it was free from ringing phones.  Now that's a thing of the past.  I can't imagine why people would want to lose quite time?  Are we that important that we can't be away from pur phones for an hour or 2?

Well, I do keep mine with me most of the time, but it is pay as you go (Virgin Mobile), I always keep it on buzz, and it isn't used more than a few times a week.
norespite

Jurisdiction: MP

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »

Only slightly related: This morning on the metro the conductor said, "The doors, the doors...are closing." I was highly amused...

...when the attacks of the demons are particularly strong, the intellect does not have a moment's respite.  This is because it is weakened by the passions to which is has succumbed in the past.  But if it goes on searching, it will find; and if it knocks, the door will be opened.
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

Smooth sounds from Squidworth's clarinet....

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 12:42:30 PM »

"Next stop is Clinton....doors will open on the left at Clinton....."

"Every entity is what it loves"----Vladimir Solovyov
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »

There is also a proposal to replace the "Arise! Master bless!" sequence at vigil with "Turn off your cellphones!" I think this is funny and appropriate, but it would have to go through at least a local council prior to adoption
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: