Author Topic: Study firms up diet and depression link  (Read 151 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Study firms up diet and depression link
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »
In an unusual experiment, James Cook University researchers in Australia have found that among Torres Strait Islander people the amount of fish and processed food eaten is related to depression.

A JCU research team led by Professors Zoltan Sarnyai and Robyn McDermott looked at the link between depression and diet on a Torres Strait island, where fast food is available, and on a more isolated island, which has no fast food outlets.
“Depression is complex, it's also linked to social and environmental factors so there will be no silver bullet cure, but our data suggests that a diet that is rich in n-3 LCPUFA as provided by seafood and low in n-6 PUFA as found in many take-away foods may be beneficial," he said.
I believe the monks of Mt. Athos get their animal protein solely from fish.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
Re: Study firms up diet and depression link
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
In an unusual experiment, James Cook University researchers in Australia have found that among Torres Strait Islander people the amount of fish and processed food eaten is related to depression.

A JCU research team led by Professors Zoltan Sarnyai and Robyn McDermott looked at the link between depression and diet on a Torres Strait island, where fast food is available, and on a more isolated island, which has no fast food outlets.
“Depression is complex, it's also linked to social and environmental factors so there will be no silver bullet cure, but our data suggests that a diet that is rich in n-3 LCPUFA as provided by seafood and low in n-6 PUFA as found in many take-away foods may be beneficial," he said.
Also, I'm pretty sure there is no McDonald's or other fast-food restaurant on Mt. Athos.  ;)
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Also, I'm pretty sure there is no McDonald's or other fast-food restaurant on Mt. Athos.  ;)
If only I could get octopus at McDonald's:

The cardinal rule of monastic diet has also shaped this cuisine’s identity: monks in these communal monasteries are not allowed to eat meat. Fish is the “good” stuff, reserved for holidays and special feasts like Easter. The rest of the year, they subsist on vegetables, pulses, pasta, grains and other seafood.

“These limitations force you to become inventive,” says Father Epiphanios. “You need to learn how to cook octopus in many different ways so you don’t grow bored of it. And if you consider that, for around 200 days of the year, the monks do not even use olive oil in their food, you need to make the food on the rest of those days that much more delicious.”
“You have fast food, slow food and monk food,” says Father Epiphanios, only half-joking. “Good food needs time. The other day, I was watching a cooking show on television, and the presenter sautéed the onions for less than a minute. Onions need to be sautéed over time so they become sweet and golden, so they flavor the food and melt nicely.”
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:40:34 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

If only I could get octopus at McDonald's:

In Greek branches you can, at least during Lent.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~