Author Topic: Would you or would you not leave the Roman Catholic Church?  (Read 12687 times)

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: Would you or would you not leave the Roman Catholic Church?
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
I will admit that I have no intention skimming this thread, but has anyone actually met an American who definitely said the reason they left Catholicism for us is because of the sex-abuse scandals? I never have, not a once. I've only ever met people who definitely deny this as their reason for joining us or say it's one reason out of several.

Best I can think of is my Mother had a patient who was an 85 year-old spinster who started attending an Orthodox parish without (I assume) getting chrismated because of the sex-abuse scandals, but that story would be over a decade old and I could be misrembering it.

I myself would be surprised if I ever met anyone flat-out say "yeah, it was the pedophilia coverups. That's all it took for me." It almost seems like too simplistic of a hypothetical to happen.

I haven't met anyone personally, but I believe the journalist Rod Dreher left and became Orthodox because of the scandals.
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
I don't blame anyone for leaving the Roman Catholic Church due to scandals and then come to Orthodoxy, but it's better that they get over it with religious maturity. People have become Orthodox for less sensitive reasons.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline KostaC

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
I haven't met anyone personally, but I believe the journalist Rod Dreher left and became Orthodox because of the scandals.

You know, I think you're right. He might be the only one to have his one answer for leaving Catholicism and joining us be the pedophilia scandals. Anecdotally, it seems like everyone I've ever come across sites more than one reason.

Offline platypus

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »

There was more to it than that. The scandals left him pretty disillusioned with Catholicism, but he didn't join the Church until he stopped believing in Papal infallibility. He wrote about it here: http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2010/06/crunchy-cons-conversion-crisis/
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2018, 12:29:33 AM »
I know two families who left the Catholic Church back in the 70s because of the liturgical destruction.  One family left for Protestantism, but, years later, returned to Rome.  The other family left for Orthodoxy and has remained in the Church since.

I myself felt called to the Church because the more I learned about the theology of my Maronite Church, the more I found out that it was less and less practiced, in direct proportion to my growing desire to practice it.

Coincidentally, I was received into the Church a few months before the current episcopal scandal came to light.  I think that it was providential, because it shook me badly.  Especially because, over a decade ago, I personally defended the bishops before family, friends and strangers.  The same bishops, whether bent towards modernity or to traditionalism, who aided, abetted and covered up sexual abuse and perversions, by their priests or by themselves.  All glory to God for sparing me a fatal heartache.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
I know two families who left the Catholic Church back in the 70s because of the liturgical destruction.  One family left for Protestantism, but, years later, returned to Rome.  The other family left for Orthodoxy and has remained in the Church since.

I myself felt called to the Church because the more I learned about the theology of my Maronite Church, the more I found out that it was less and less practiced, in direct proportion to my growing desire to practice it.

Coincidentally, I was received into the Church a few months before the current episcopal scandal came to light.  I think that it was providential, because it shook me badly.  Especially because, over a decade ago, I personally defended the bishops before family, friends and strangers.  The same bishops, whether bent towards modernity or to traditionalism, who aided, abetted and covered up sexual abuse and perversions, by their priests or by themselves.  All glory to God for sparing me a fatal heartache.
The current crisis certainly kept me from going back. I, like you, realized the more I learned about Orthodoxy, and thought the Ukrainian Catholic Church was practicing it, the more I realized I was Orthodox, but I was not sure they were. Second I felt called to the church and her history. But again, the more I learned not only about traditional Rome (prior to schism) the more I realized there were remnants of that church around Trent, but by Vatican I, I felt it was long gone. Just a few short months after I left, news from my home town started to break regarding a major cover up that went back 50-60 years (maybe longer). It didn't gain as much traction I think because then the Pittsburgh story and grand jury indictments really broke nationwide. However, eventually some of the people, including a secretary who broke the one where I was from I think was eventually on 60 minutes. So it was a series of dominos, As I was closely following one, another than another came and then the Cardinal McCarrick story broke and there it went. I think it really hit me when I did the math. When I was a part of traditionalist movements they pointed all of the apostasy to Vatican II. Then I started to realize that these scandals were uncovering overt and blatant sexual misconduct back into the papacy of Pius XII (the supposed last pope) and prior to that too.

When I went back to Rome for a short while, I always had what was investigated in the back of my head around 00-01, but I guess I tried to look at the faithful and faithful clergy who were not a part of that. Anyway, the uncovering of these most recent scandal made me realize, on top of the theological issues (and internal schisms with traditional Catholicism) I could not go back in the totality. 
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)