Author Topic: Russian Church No Longer Will Commemorate EP Bartholomew in the Liturgy  (Read 815 times)

Offline Wandile

• Peter the Roman
  • Archon
  • Love God with All your heart and all your Soul
  • Faith: Catholic Church - Roman rite
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria
Vladimir Legoida, a Russian Church spokesman, said the Holy Synod had decided to suspend its participation in all structures chaired or co-chaired by representatives of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.

It is also suspending all services with top priests of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and will not commemorate the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I in its services, Legoida wrote on social media, summarizing the outcome of the meeting.

“Essentially this is a breakdown of relations. To take an example from secular life, the decision is roughly equivalent to cutting diplomatic ties,” the Russian Church’s Metropolitan Ilarion was quoted by RIA news agency as saying.

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2018/09/russian-church-ceases-commemorating-ep.html?m=1
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:56:48 PM by Wandile »
Venerable Benedict Daswa, Blessed Isidore Bakanja and St Charles Lwanga, martyrs, pray for us. Amen

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Russian Church No Longer Will Commemorate EP Bartholomew in the Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
Oh boy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
The situation is bad but it's not breakdown of relations. We're not there yet. Ordinary priests can, say, still concelebrate as freely as they've previously did.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:31:41 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »
Just to put things into perspective, there have been many breaches of communion, between various Orthodox churches before, such as between the EP and Greece in 2004 in a dispute over dioceses in Northern Greece, or more recently the ongoing schism between Jerusalem and Antioch. And of course there are many older examples. Those who want to maintain that union with Rome somehow guards against these schisms will have to explain the schisms that occurred throughout the first millennium. Usually these do not result in a church-wide schism and are healed within time. No one can foresee what will happen with this present dispute but I doubt it will be the earth-shaking event some are portending, unless the MP or EP start forcing other churches to pick a side, which seems highly unlikely to me.  Unless you are in some border area where you are passing from parishes of one jurisdiction to another, this will likely have no effect on you.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »
Just to put things into perspective, there have been many breaches of communion, between various Orthodox churches before, such as between the EP and Greece in 2004 in a dispute over dioceses in Northern Greece, or more recently the ongoing schism between Jerusalem and Antioch. And of course there are many older examples. Those who want to maintain that union with Rome somehow guards against these schisms will have to explain the schisms that occurred throughout the first millennium. Usually these do not result in a church-wide schism and are healed within time. No one can foresee what will happen with this present dispute but I doubt it will be the earth-shaking event some are portending, unless the MP or EP start forcing other churches to pick a side, which seems highly unlikely to me.  Unless you are in some border area where you are passing from parishes of one jurisdiction to another, this will likely have no effect on you.

I think you are right.

Unfortunately, the OP did not post the story from the MP web site but from a blog. 
Readers should note that if you go to the MP news web site in English you can read that eucharistic union between the EP & MP has not been suspended.

https://mospat.ru/en/2018/09/14/news163805/

–  You are speaking about the suspension of liturgical mention. It does not mean the suspension of the Eucharistic communion, does it? That is, can the faithful still take communion together?

–  The decision of the Holy Synod to suspend the liturgical mention of the Patriarch of Constantinople’s name during the liturgy and the fact that we suspend con-celebration with hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople does not imply a full breaking-off of the Eucharistic communion. The lay people who come to Mount Athos or find themselves in churches of the Patriarchate of Constantinople can take communion in them. But we refuse to concelebrate with hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople since every time they mention the name of their Patriarch during the liturgy while we have suspended it.
https://mospat.ru/en/2018/09/14/news163805/

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
Seems a little petty to me in the grand scheme of things, but I guess it's the only real non-damaging way of protesting that they have.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
It's reported that the EP also directed a bishop not to concelebrate.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:59:57 PM by Asteriktos »
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
It's reported that the EP also directed a bishop not to concelebrate.

When I read the article it says that the EP Bishop was asked not to concelebrate at a Serbian liturgy because there were Russian bishops in attendance.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde