Author Topic: ‘Purge Against Christians’ Underway in China as Persecution Ramps Up  (Read 634 times)

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
We seldom think of them ~ do we ```

‘Purge Against Christians’ Underway in China as Persecution Ramps Up

It feels like every day we are hearing more news about China increasing persecution on the Christian community.

Abuses are escalating to unprecedented levels as we’re seeing a full out “purge against Christians” in the Zhejiang province in Eastern China perpetrated by the government, according to organizations monitoring the situation on the ground.

ChinaAid, a watchdog group, stated that local governments are stepping up and taking charge of the persecution and outlaw of Christianity.

The government has banned all kinds of religious meetings, meaning no church services, no Bible studies, and no prayer meetings. Not only are they banning religious events but they are calling for people to renounce their faith, particularly in Jesus Christ.

Image resized and text truncated to conform to forum rules.  --Ainnir

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2018/may/lsquo-purge-against-christians-rsquo-underway-in-china-as-persecution-ramps-up
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:40:58 PM by Ainnir »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: ‘Purge Against Christians’ Underway in China as Persecution Ramps Up
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Lord have mercy :(
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

All Holy Martyrs pray for us!
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »
That’s a very confused and poorly written article. Yes, there is a step up of surveillance and pressure, especially from local government bureaucrats who often arbitrarily invent rules that make religious practice more difficult. Talk of martyrdom though is rather over the top at this point. This is just part of the PRC’s general paranoia of any large movement slipping out from their control. This is also not directed just at Christians- the Muslims of Xinjiang have it worse.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
Thank you for that added insight.  :)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
Thank you for that added insight.  :)

+1
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:49 AM »
Gospodi Pomilui!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:29:59 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Chinese authorities blow up Christian megachurch with dynamite

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-christianity-religion-crackdown-megachurch-chinaaid-golden-lampstand-church-linfen-communist-a8156031.html

Lord protect our sisters and brothers from the enemy ~ where they come at us ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
Kyrie Eleison!

The PRC’s history is one of persecuting religions.  The traditional religions, especially Confucianism and neo-Confucianism (owing to their prominence in the Qing Empire and the Republic Of China, that is to say Taiwan), but also including Taoism, Buddhism and various folk religions of minprity populations have been subject to savage persecution, which in the case of Taoism and Buddhism has abated since the 1970s (along with the creation of the two “official” churches, the Patriotic Catholic Association and a similiar Protestant church).  Orthodoxy remained banned and the beautoful cathedral in Harbin IIRC remains a museum, although I recently heard something about Orthodoxy being allowed once more.

The persecution has been particularly unpleasant for new religious movements like the Falun Gong, and of course Buddhism despite being legal is still persecuted in Tibet at least to the extent that China appears to be seeking to relocate non Tibetan ethnic groups into Tibet and continues to ban the Dalai Lama as an enemy of the state (which of course he is, but if the PRC were a more tolerant refime they would surel have worked out something like a “concordat” with him).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
The Tibet thing is rather overblown. Han Chinese do move there but for most of them it is a temporary, hardship post, after which they hope to move back to a big city with a promotion. For most Han moving to Tibet is like someone from the lower 48 states being stationed in Alaska. Tibetan Buddhism is alive and well and remains central to Tibetan communities. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that much of Tibet is outside of the Tibetan Autonomous Region, stretching over other provinces like Sichuan and Gansu. When the Sichuan earthquake happened in 2008 most of the areas affected were majority Tibetan. In these historically Tibetan areas the demographic remains largely unchanged, with Tibetan communities still thriving and often centered around a monastery. The monasteries are usually state-funded, with a certain quota of monks being subsidized. The Dalai Lama is essentially a political position so Tibetan Buddhism, even the Gelug sect, can operate with him in exile.

Falun Gong in my opinion was pretty much asking for trouble. Anyone who's been to China knows how paranoid the government is about large  gatherings of any sort. A classmate of mine, not particularly bright, was holding a party at his apartment and handed out fliers to random people on the street. The police picked him up and questioned him to see if it was some kind of subversive meeting. You have to get authorization for such things. Falun Gong staged big public events with people doing their exercises in squares- the government was inevitably going to see it as a show of force.

Orthodoxy is in a grey area. I think it's too tiny for the PRC to really feel threatened by it (though of course they get nervous about a lot of little things). I believe services have been allowed occasionally at the historic churches in Harbin and Shanghai though regular parishes have not been allowed to move in there.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:51:54 AM by Iconodule »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
Speaking of China persecuting Muslims...

This is really bad and a pretty hamfisted move by the PRC. One thing to note though is the 1 million figure for people in camps- this is from a study in which eight people from eight different villages in the Kashgar area were interviewed. They reported some percentage of the men (I think it was around 15%) in their villages were in re-education programs. The people doing the study then extrapolated the percentage to the entire male population of Xinjiang to arrive at 1 million. That's pretty questionable not only because of the small sample size but because Kashgar is the usual trouble spot for Uighur separatist activity.

The camps are real though and it would be pretty hard to find anyone who was successfully "re-educated" in such places. Usually it just makes people bitter and cynical.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 04:40:08 PM »
Speaking of China persecuting Muslims...

This is really bad and a pretty hamfisted move by the PRC. One thing to note though is the 1 million figure for people in camps- this is from a study in which eight people from eight different villages in the Kashgar area were interviewed. They reported some percentage of the men (I think it was around 15%) in their villages were in re-education programs. The people doing the study then extrapolated the percentage to the entire male population of Xinjiang to arrive at 1 million. That's pretty questionable not only because of the small sample size but because Kashgar is the usual trouble spot for Uighur separatist activity.

The camps are real though and it would be pretty hard to find anyone who was successfully "re-educated" in such places. Usually it just makes people bitter and cynical.

Yeah, it does sound like it would be easy to get over-inflated numbers that way.

For what little it's worth, I'm glad the re-education doesn't often "work."

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »
China says internment camps are ‘free vocational training’

BEIJING (AP) — China is saving Muslim ethnic minorities from the lure of religious extremism by teaching them to speak Mandarin and accept modern science, a senior Chinese official said in a report Tuesday, Beijing’s latest propaganda effort to defend its internment of Muslims against mounting criticism.

https://www.apnews.com/ce4c3e49f24d4223b831b3f4c19eb2cf
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
Its sad that china is ran by communists, who've killed 80 million in the last 100 years.

They wont hesitate to kill

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »
There's a video somewhere of Kazakhs in a camp singing a Kazakh melody but with Mandarin lyrics about how great the Communist Party is. The government's approach is amazingly crude and tone deaf. I can't imagine it working for them.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
The plight of the Christian is China is terrible ~ it seems no one is interested ~ the same is true on the African continent and the Mideast ~ however word from the Chinese Christians seldom gets out ~ yet they will not give up the Lord ~ stubborn ~ it's a shame they like Christians elsewhere don't count for very much ```