Author Topic: Patriarch Kirill in Constantinople to discuss Ukraine  (Read 32396 times)

Offline Daniel2:47

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain
Patriarch Kirill in Constantinople to discuss Ukraine
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill met with His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew today at the Phanar in Istanbul to discuss various issues including the ongoing situation in Ukraine. Sources are stating that Pat. Bartholomew notified Pat. Kirill that he was going to press ahead with the granting of autocephaly to resolve the ongoing difficulties in Ukraine, where alongside the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate), there are two other Orthodox groups also claiming the territory: the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kievan Patriarchate) and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.

Before the departure for Moscow from the Istanbul airport, Patriarch Kirill answered questions from journalists.

According to His Holiness, for the past two years since the previous meeting of the two Primates, ‘much has happened in the life of our Church, and the whole situation in the world has greatly changed’.

Having described the dialogue that took place between them as ‘a talk between two brothers’, Patriarch Kirill stated that they discussed ‘all the problems on the agenda’.

‘I hope we will continue working together so that the world may become better’, he added.

‘Without coordination with His Holiness, I would not like to let you into details, although there was nothing secret, nothing that would make one’s conciseness explode’, Patriarch Kirill specified, ‘It was a very correct talk – a talk between the heads of two Churches who are aware of their responsibility of the state of Universal Orthodoxy and for the state of human souls in places and countries under our responsibility’.

Speaking about a continuation of pan-Orthodox dialogue, His Holiness underscored that ‘problems keep emerging, challenging Churches from the pastoral point of view. The world is changing rapidly, and no Church can make decisions that would run contrary to the position of another Orthodox Church’.

‘Therefore, we are simply programmed for interaction and cooperation, and since the world is rapidly changing, this cooperation, too, should be dynamic enough’, His Holiness concluded.

https://mospat.ru/en/2018/08/31/news163232/

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Patriarch Kirill in Constantinople to discuss Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
“Lots of stuff is happening and we talked about it.” Very informative.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Daniel2:47

• Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
Ecumenical Patriarch informed the Russian Patriarch that the decision to award the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church has taken.

According to a statement by the metropolitan of France at orthodoxia.info, the Ecumenical Patriarch has clarified to the Russian delegation that the decision has been taken and that similar processes are already in progress.

"We do not want to create yet another schism but to unite the Church," said Metropolitan Emmanuel, who was questioned by orthodoxia.info about statements by Russian church officials about the creation of schism, replied that "the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not threaten anyone and is not threatened by anyone. "

So far there is no statement from the Russian side.
http://orthodoxia.info/news/%CE%BF-%CE%BA%CF%8D%CE%B2%CE%BF%CF%82-%CE%B5%CF%81%CF%81%CE%B9%CF%86%CE%B8%CE%B7-%CE%B7-%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BA%CF%84%CE%AC-%CE%B1%CF%85%CF%84%CE%BF/

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »
Ecumenical Patriarch informed the Russian Patriarch that the decision to award the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church has taken.

According to a statement by the metropolitan of France at orthodoxia.info, the Ecumenical Patriarch has clarified to the Russian delegation that the decision has been taken and that similar processes are already in progress.

"We do not want to create yet another schism but to unite the Church," said Metropolitan Emmanuel, who was questioned by orthodoxia.info about statements by Russian church officials about the creation of schism, replied that "the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not threaten anyone and is not threatened by anyone. "

So far there is no statement from the Russian side.
http://orthodoxia.info/news/%CE%BF-%CE%BA%CF%8D%CE%B2%CE%BF%CF%82-%CE%B5%CF%81%CF%81%CE%B9%CF%86%CE%B8%CE%B7-%CE%B7-%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BA%CF%84%CE%AC-%CE%B1%CF%85%CF%84%CE%BF/
I'll believe it when I see it. In all the pictures I have seen of the meeting Patriarch Kirill was smiling ear to ear.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
At this point it's hard to imagine the EP backing down, unfortunately. I would be surprised if we don't have confirmation within the next day or two that there is now an autocephalous Ukrainian church. And to be honest I don't think that's a bad thing in itself. The status quo had to change some way or another. The problem is the way this autocephaly was implemented, and how it accords with the EP's growing self-importance.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
At this point it's hard to imagine the EP backing down, unfortunately. I would be surprised if we don't have confirmation within the next day or two that there is now an autocephalous Ukrainian church.

May it be so!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
I think the people I feel the worst for here are the Russians living in Ukraine now that the Banderists who call them "backfill" are going to all but enjoy official ecclesial recognition.

And for pretty much everybody who doesn't want the EP to make himself the Pope of Orthodoxy...
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline cossack 316

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
Click the link to hear from Met Emmanuel of the EP regarding the meeting between the two Patriarchs...http://www.antenam.net/svijet/91690-kiril-dozivio-debakl-vartolomej-mu-u-lice-saopstio-dacu-tomos-ukrajini
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:53:29 PM by cossack 316 »

Offline PJ26

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
“I'll believe it when I see it. In all the pictures I have seen of the meeting Patriarch Kirill was smiling ear to ear.”

Is it possible that this is what Patriarch Kirill really wants?  While granting the tomos might feel like a win to the EP in the short term, making Patriarch Bartholomew and Constantinople still feel strong and relevant in the Orthodox world, if Moscow were to break communion with them and the majority of other jurisdictions take Patriarch Kirill’s side, that seems like a victory for the MP to me.  I imagine the UOC-MP will continue, the EP’s recognized Ukrainian Patriarchate will turn into another Estonia, and Constantinople will be further sidelined.

I don’t know.  Whatever the decision and subsequent reaction(s), I hope it happens fast.  Enough dithering, postponing, further study required, etc.  Announce the decision already and let’s get on with it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »
I don't trust a Russian smile unless someone just told him a joke.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline cossack 316

• Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »
Of course the UOCMP will continue in Ukraine. 12% of the population supports it. There will be 2 Orthodox churches in Ukraine, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church which will receive its Tomos from the EP and the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
I'm sure the Banderists will do everything they can to bully and coerce the UOC-MP into relinquishing parishes and monasteries to the new church.

Offline Kleofas

• Faith: Unsure
  • Jurisdiction: Łódź i Poznań
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
I'm sure the Banderists will do everything they can to bully and coerce the UOC-MP into relinquishing parishes and monasteries to the new church.
Not to turn this into a political discussion, but it seems Kiev is starting to get busy.
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201808311067645316-explosion-dpr-victim/

It’s hard to tell what’s going on right now, but all I know is that events seem to be emboldening Kiev.

Offline cossack 316

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »
“I'll believe it when I see it. In all the pictures I have seen of the meeting Patriarch Kirill was smiling ear to ear.”

Is it possible that this is what Patriarch Kirill really wants?  While granting the tomos might feel like a win to the EP in the short term, making Patriarch Bartholomew and Constantinople still feel strong and relevant in the Orthodox world, if Moscow were to break communion with them and the majority of other jurisdictions take Patriarch Kirill’s side, that seems like a victory for the MP to me.  I imagine the UOC-MP will continue, the EP’s recognized Ukrainian Patriarchate will turn into another Estonia, and Constantinople will be further sidelined.

I don’t know.  Whatever the decision and subsequent reaction(s), I hope it happens fast.  Enough dithering, postponing, further study required, etc.  Announce the decision already and let’s get on with it.

" the EP’s recognized Ukrainian Patriarchate will turn into another Estonia"

Very different in that Estonia is a nation of 1.3 million people. Eastern Orthodoxy in Estonia is practiced by 12.8% of the population. As of a government report in 2004, about 20,000 believers (mostly ethnic Estonians) in 54 parishes are part of the autonomous EP church, while 150,000 faithful in 30 parishes, along with the monastic community of Pühtitsa, are with the MP.

Ukraine is a nation of 44 million people. Currently 41.4% identify with the UOCKP, 1.6% with the UAOC, and 17% with the Russian UOCMP. If we break that down that means 18,2100,000 KP adherants, 790,000 UAOC adherants, and  7,480,000 UOCMP adherants. Even if only 25% of the current adherants of the Moscow church leaves to join the UOC church granted the by the EP the Tomos (many people believe it may be up to half of its current membership in Ukraine) the UOC church would outnumber the UOCMP with almost 21 million members vs 5.6 million members of the Russian UOCMP.

Offline cossack 316

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
Not to turn this into a political discussion, but it seems Kiev is starting to get busy.

It’s hard to tell what’s going on right now, but all I know is that events seem to be emboldening Kiev.

Some background by the BBC on Alexander Zakharchenko  "A local field commander, Mr Zakharchenko became the "prime minister" of the self-styled "Donetsk People's Republic" (DPR) in early August after his predecessor, Russian citizen Alexander Borodai, announced he was stepping down.

On 28 August Mr Zakharchenko admitted that thousands of Russian citizens, including many professional soldiers, were fighting alongside the separatists.

He said 3-4,000 Russians had joined the rebel ranks during the fighting and some had been killed. "Moreover, many soldiers are coming to us from Russia who prefer to spend their holidays not on the beach but shoulder-to-shoulder with their brothers, fighting for the freedom of Donbass," he said.

His predecessor, Mr Borodai, had said "I am a Muscovite - Donbass should be led by a genuine Donetsk native". He said he would stay on as first deputy prime minister.

It was seen as an effort to prove that the insurgency in eastern Ukraine was rooted locally, not orchestrated by Moscow.

Alexander Zakharchenko was born in Donetsk in 1976 and after graduating from technical school worked as a mine electrician. Russian media say that later he was a student at the law institute of Ukraine's interior ministry and also tried his hand at being a businessman.

He was head of the Donetsk branch of the militant group Oplot ("Stronghold"). The organisation was active in helping the former Ukrainian government clamp down on the pro-democracy Maidan protests in Kiev at the beginning of the year.

In May, Mr Zakharchenko was appointed rebel military commander of Donetsk and later became DPR's "deputy interior minister". Reports say that right up to becoming "prime minister" he was fighting the Ukrainian army and was wounded in the arm in late July.      https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27211501

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
I don't trust a Russian smile unless someone just told him a joke.
Just to be clear, I'm not raising suspicion on Patriarch Cyril here, it just seems to me Russians would more likely smile out of nervousness or irony than happiness. :P
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Yes. It'll be Macedonia all over again, but now with an "ecumenical" blessing.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
At this point it's hard to imagine the EP backing down, unfortunately. I would be surprised if we don't have confirmation within the next day or two that there is now an autocephalous Ukrainian church.

May it be so!

What if they agreed that there should be an autocephalous church just not the kp or uaoc? Should people leave the KP and join an autocephalous church under Metropolitan Onuphry?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:33:18 PM by ICXCNIKA »

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »

Eternal Memory!

Offline PJ26

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 05:00:00 PM »
Metropolitan Hilarion on Ukrainian press' response to Istanbul meeting: Someone indulges in wishful thinking

Moscow, August 31, Interfax - The chief of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, Metropolitan Hilarion, called for questioning Ukrainian media reports on the outcomes of a meeting between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.

"Of course, some media outlets, especially in Ukraine, are very bewildered now. They have already begun publishing some information about this meeting. But I think that we will comment on the content of this meeting only if officials of the Constantinople Patriarchate begin commenting on the content of this meeting. There are only two of them, namely Patriarch Bartholomew and Metropolitan Emmanuel, who attended the meeting. And if someone else issues any commentaries, these are most likely just some conjectures," Metropolitan Hilarion told reporters upon return from Istanbul to Moscow on Friday evening.

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=14438

So.....

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Ah yes, the reliable Russian news....I'll believe news sources from the EP or Ukraine over Russian media anyday

https://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/72463/

http://www.ekathimerini.com/232188/article/ekathimerini/news/phanar-ecumenical-patriarchate-does-not-threaten-and-will-not-be-threatened-on-ukrainian-church

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/istanbuls-orthodox-church-retains-support-for-independent-ukrainian-church-136362

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/528323.html

And if the best the EP can offer you is to become an Archdiocese under it?

Also according to his interview the Metropolitan only said the following:
"the Ecumenical Patriarchate took the decision of exploring all the ways to issue the autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. This is the decision that was taken in April and we are implementing already this decision, and this was also reported to Patriarch Kirill during his visit today by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.” They asked the other churches their opinion and we know of none that said yes but many that said no.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
Ah yes, the reliable Russian news....I'll believe news sources from the EP or Ukraine over Russian media anyday

I would love to see the Tomos on the EP website. I can't wait but until then I will assume it isn't coming.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
Cossacks enjoyed massacring Jews and striking workers on the Russian Czar’s behalf... what changed?

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »
Here is the article I saw this morning with Patriarch Kirill looking quite happy.

http://basilica.ro/en/patriarch-of-moscow-arrives-at-the-phanar/

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
I can't recall a picture of Pat. Bartholomew smiling.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
Here is the article I saw this morning with Patriarch Kirill looking quite happy.

So much for stereotypes!
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2018, 09:01:50 PM »

So much for stereotypes!

I'm not adding or subtracting from this particular point, but I've encountered a number of Greek-tradition hierarchs who do not want to be photographed smiling in official photos (formal group shot, handing over awards, etc.).  It's not about "joy" per se, but more about the appearance of being aloof, as I understand it.

(I'm not aware, though, of any such prohibition applying to candid shots.)
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »

So much for stereotypes!

I'm not adding or subtracting from this particular point, but I've encountered a number of Greek-tradition hierarchs who do not want to be photographed smiling in official photos (formal group shot, handing over awards, etc.).  It's not about "joy" per se, but more about the appearance of being aloof, as I understand it.

(I'm not aware, though, of any such prohibition applying to candid shots.)

Out of curiosity is this related to the ancient belief that it was hubristic, or the related superstition that it was unlucky, to smile in photographs?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
An ancient belief about photographs?
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

http://www.ekathimerini.com/232188/article/ekathimerini/news/phanar-ecumenical-patriarchate-does-not-threaten-and-will-not-be-threatened-on-ukrainian-church

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/istanbuls-orthodox-church-retains-support-for-independent-ukrainian-church-136362

"the Ecumenical Patriarchate took the decision of exploring all the ways to issue the autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. This is the decision that was taken in April and we are implementing already this decision, and this was also reported to Patriarch Kirill during his visit today by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.” They asked the other churches their opinion and we know of none that said yes but many that said no.
To translate: "I said I'm thinking about it once already, why don't you go play outside for a while"  ;D
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »

To translate: "I said I'm thinking about it once already, why don't you go play outside for a while"  ;D

My translation is "we decided to talk about doing something as of we had the power to do it even though we don't... so nothing will happen. Also, you must find our tiny corpse of a patriarchate quite quaint"

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
According to Met Savas the weekend’s meeting was just to discuss the question and the actual decision will not be made/announced for another few weeks.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:09 AM »
What if they agreed that there should be an autocephalous church just not the kp or uaoc? Should people leave the KP and join an autocephalous church under Metropolitan Onuphry?
That's exactly what's circulating in the news the last 48-24 hours here.
And that the EP will decide in October.
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
I wonder if that would infuriate the Ukrainian nationalists even more than if the EP decided to back down.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »
This sounds like the most unlikely scenario, but it would be the best of both worlds if the hierarchs all agreed to do this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:13:06 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
This sounds like the most unlikely scenario, but it would be the best of both worlds if the hierarchs all agreed to do this.
They should, but they won't because "it's still Metropolitan Onuphry and he's still a puppet of Moscow", which is essentially the whole raison d'etre of the schismatic self-styled Kiev non-Patriarchate.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
Well the real raison d’etre of the KP is that Pat. Filaret wasn’t picked to be Moscow patriarch.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:09:45 PM by Iconodule »

Offline PJ26

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:50 PM »
Moscow's "interventions" in Ukrainian church affairs "uncanonical" - Patriarch Bartholomew

Washington/Moscow, September 3, Interfax - Patriarch Bartholomew has insisted on the right by the Church of Constantinople to resolve the Ukrainian church problem without the Moscow Patriarchate.

"Since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem, the Ecumenical Patriarchate assumed the initiative of resolving the problem in accordance with the authority afforded to it by the Sacred Canons and the jurisdictional responsibility over the eparchy of Kiev, receiving a request to this end by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Philaret of Kiev appealing for our adjudication of his case," Patriarch Bartholomew said at the Church of Constantinople's Synaxis, held in Istanbul since last Saturday.

"The uncanonical interventions of Moscow from time to time in the affairs of Kiev and the toleration on the part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in previous years do not validate any ecclesiastical violation," the patriarch of Constantinople said.

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=14441

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
This sets a bad precedent insofar that it seems Constantinople can just willy nilly grant autocephaly to any sort of region of a preexisting patriarchate, but I'm struggling to care. It's not like Orthodoxy's organization can't get any more messed up lol
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
It’s amazing how fearless bishops are in church.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
Ukraine will be an autonomous diocese of the OCA.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
This sets a bad precedent insofar that it seems Constantinople can just willy nilly grant autocephaly to any sort of region of a preexisting patriarchate, but I'm struggling to care. It's not like Orthodoxy's organization can't get any more messed up lol
Its the EP's jurisdiction from the time of antiquity.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Ukraine will be an autonomous self-ruled (wink, wink) diocese of the OCA.

Fixed that for you.