Author Topic: Redneck Muslim, Ya'll  (Read 657 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Redneck Muslim, Ya'll
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
"Redneck Muslim" follows the life and work of Shane Atkinson, the first Muslim chaplain in-training at North Carolina’s biggest trauma center and founder of the "Society of Islamic Rednecks.” Seeking to celebrate Southern culture with a reformed vision of “redneck” identity stripped of racism and sexism and embracing diversity, Shane travels to a gathering of African American Muslim leaders.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
Re: Redneck Muslim, Ya'll
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
"Redneck Muslim" follows the life and work of Shane Atkinson, the first Muslim chaplain in-training at North Carolina’s biggest trauma center and founder of the "Society of Islamic Rednecks.” Seeking to celebrate Southern culture with a reformed vision of “redneck” identity stripped of racism and sexism and embracing diversity, Shane travels to a gathering of African American Muslim leaders.

Its a shame he assumes redneck means racism/sexism.

I suppose he hates it when people assume muslim = terrorist.

Whats diversity mean here? This is why I've said for years PBS is the "PROPAGANDA (removed - Mor) NETWORK". Its good we spend $500 million a year on it and npr.

Edited to remove profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:30:46 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »
Whats diversity mean here? This is why I've said for years PBS is the "PROPAGANDA (removed - Mor) NETWORK". Its good we spend $500 million a year on it and npr.
+1

Edited to remove profanity from quote.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:31:15 PM by Mor Ephrem »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »

Rubricnigel,

The forum rules--or forum rubrics, if you will--prohibit the language you used above in this and all other public areas.  Perhaps this twenty (20) point warning will help etch this into your memory. 

If you would like to appeal this warning, please PM LizaSymonenko, global moderator overseeing this section.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »

Rubricnigel,

The forum rules--or forum rubrics, if you will--prohibit the language you used above in this and all other public areas.  Perhaps this twenty (20) point warning will help etch this into your memory. 

If you would like to appeal this warning, please PM LizaSymonenko, global moderator overseeing this section.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator.

Sorry, i knew when typing that i should have used ****.
I will do better

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
The main error is to think that rednecks are a uniquely American phenomenon. Pretty much every country has rednecks. The rednecks in Appalachia may hate the rednecks in Anatolia, who hate the rednecks in Balochestan, but they're basically the same people.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »
One of my favorite tidbits from Church history is that the citizens of Constantinople considered St. Gregory the Theologian, essentially, a redneck. Who exactly is this provincial with the funny accent and smelling like a farm, trying to teach us theology?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
I don't want the Quran and Islam mixed up with Christianity
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »
I don't want the Quran and Islam mixed up with Christianity

+1

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
He wanted an Indonesian wife.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »
...who herself says that she grew up in the Indonesian version of "redneck" culture.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
...who herself says that she grew up in the Indonesian version of "redneck" culture.
So he became Muslim because they were both "Rednecks"?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »
I think he became Muslim for various reasons; her being a “redneck” was apparently not one of them.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
 :)I am going to have to ask Jeff Foxworthy about this.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
I think he became Muslim for various reasons; her being a “redneck” was apparently not one of them.
Yes, like her being an Indonesian Muslim.  Good enough reason, I guess.  Heck, I almost went down that road.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
The main error is to think that rednecks are a uniquely American phenomenon. Pretty much every country has rednecks. The rednecks in Appalachia may hate the rednecks in Anatolia, who hate the rednecks in Balochestan, but they're basically the same people.
It's quite the opposite, taking it out of perspective. Urban people in Atlanta, Istanbul and Quetta are much more "basically the same people" than the rednecks around them are.

Now taking it into perspective,  there's indeed some commonality in the urban attitude toward them. It's curious that, when American movies are dubbed into Brazilian Portuguese, rednecks always speak in a mockup of the dialect spoken in Minas Gerais and non-urban São Paulo, where there's a concentration of white rural people recognisable to the cultural centres of the country. As a dialectology nerd, I'm very curious if other countries have similar arrangements. I heard there's some "dialect shopping" in some cases in the Arabic filmographic industry too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:14:26 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
One of my favorite tidbits from Church history is that the citizens of Constantinople considered St. Gregory the Theologian, essentially, a redneck. Who exactly is this provincial with the funny accent and smelling like a farm, trying to teach us theology?
LOL, amazing! Can you recall a source?

St. Ireanaeus had a similar problem, he claimed not to have great rhetorics because he was more used to Gaulish than to Greek.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »
It's quite the opposite, taking it out of perspective. Urban people in Appalachia, Anatolia and Balochestan are much more "basically the same people" than all these rednecks are.

Now taking it into perspective,  there's indeed some commonality in the urban attitude toward them. It's curious that, when American movies are dubbed to Brazilian Portuguese, rednecks are always dubbed in a mockup of the dialect spoken in Minas Gerais and non-urban São Paulo, where there's a concentration of white rural people recognisable to the cultural centres of the country. As a dialectology nerd, I'm very curious if other countries have similar arrangements. I heard there's some "dialect shopping" for dubbing in the Arabic filmographic industry too.

In Hollywood, redneck=Southern=racist=hick=hillbilly.  And they all sound the same.  If they have a cowboy hat on, then they're from Texas.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
LOL, amazing! Can you recall a source?

St. Ireanaeus had a similar problem, he claimed not to have great rhetorics because he was more used to Gaulish than to Greek.

I remember some of it being in his poetry, which I can't really search through atm, but fwiw the Fr. John McGuckin biography points to Oration 33 for some passages in which St. Gregory which respond to such taunts:

Do you also find fault with the raggedness of my dress, and the want of elegance in the disposition of my face? For these are the points upon which I see that some persons who are very insignificant pride themselves. Will you leave my head alone, and not jeer at it, as the children did at Elissæus? What followed I will not mention. And will you leave out of your allegations my want of education, and what seems to you the roughness and rusticity of my elocution? And where will you put the fact that I am not full of small talk, nor a jester popular with company, nor great hunter of the marketplace, nor given to chatter and gossip with any chance people upon all sorts of subjects, so as to make even conversation grievous; nor a frequenter of Zeuxippus, that new Jerusalem; nor one who strolls from house to house flattering and stuffing himself; but for the most part staying at home, of low spirits and with a melancholy cast of countenance, quietly associating with myself, the genuine critic of my actions; and perhaps worthy of imprisonment for my uselessness? How is it that you pardon me for all this, and do not blame me for it? How sweet and kind you are...

And I ventured even beyond these, and found God Himself the Patron of my rusticity. I will range myself with Bethlehem, and will share the ignominy of the Manger; for since you refuse on this account honour to God, it is no wonder that on the same account you despise His herald also. And I will bring up to you the Fishermen, and the poor to whom the Gospel is preached, as preferred before many rich. Will you ever leave off priding yourselves upon your cities? Will you ever revere that wilderness which you abominate and despise? I do not yet say that gold has its birthplace in sand; nor that translucent stones are the product and gifts of rocks; for if to these I should oppose all that is dishonourable in cities perhaps it would be to no good end that I should use my freedom of speech.

Any idea where St. Irenaeus mentioned it?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:34:35 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Another bit, from p. 240 of the book by Fr. John:

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:41 PM »
Aren't rednecks literally heathens?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »
Aren't rednecks literally heathens?

Some are.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
Any idea where St. Irenaeus mentioned it?
Yeah, right at the beginning of Against Heresies:

You will not expect from me, who am resident among the Keltæ, and am accustomed for the most part to use a barbarous dialect, any display of rhetoric, which I have never learned, or any excellence of composition, which I have never practised, or any beauty and persuasiveness of style, to which I make no pretensions.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103100.htm

Since he was radicated in Lyon, it can be inferred he's talking about Gaulish. Here's a bit of a flawed map, but it can give us an idea:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:24:28 PM by RaphaCam »