Author Topic: Children's Bible stories &/or saints' lives in Modern Greek  (Read 105 times)

Offline Helladius

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Children's Bible stories &/or saints' lives in Modern Greek
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
I've started learning modern Greek this year, and my Greek is still quite basic or maybe just about lower intermediate. I'd love to start reading(/translating) Greek books more, as I think that would help me progress faster. I'm hoping to find some good, not too expensive, Orthodox children's books in Greek. Something like Bible stories and/or saints' lives. Maybe for children age about 6-8. I've had a quick look on Amazon, but couldn't see anything like that. Could anyone suggest any books/series they know of that would be suitable? And where to buy them from online (I live in the UK)?
I'd be really grateful for any help anyone could offer here!
God bless you all +
'Be extremely careful not to offend anyone in word or deed, for it is a grave sin. When someone is offended, God, who loves the man, is also offended, for there can be no offending man without offending God.'
St Tikhon of Zadonsk

'Where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also' Matt 6:21

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Children's Bible stories &/or saints' lives in Modern Greek
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
Books in Greek are practically impossible to find in the UK, especially something as niche as you're looking for. There are publishers in Greece that have good selections of children's books, but I don't know if they ship international. You can check them out, for what it's worth.

https://www.osotir.org/product-category/paidika/
http://www.apostoliki-diakonia.com.gr/index.asp?cPath=11&pPath=0

You probably wouldn't have trouble getting their ebooks, though the selection is small.
http://www.apostoliki-diakonia.com.gr/index.asp?cPath=20&pPath=0

A good idea for practice, without having to limit yourself to children's material, is downloading the Lord's Voice pamphlet. It comes in both Greek and English (so you can study them side by side), and the archive keeps growing with each weekly edition.

Greek edition
English edition
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
Re: Children's Bible stories &/or saints' lives in Modern Greek
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:01:06 AM »
Drop by any largish greek parish and they should have some.
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley