OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:49:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scholarly resources needed on Eastern use of married clergy  (Read 1130 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: October 24, 2005, 08:58:38 PM »

I'm doing a 10-page paper based on a book that I am presently reading, Clerical Celibacy in East and West.ÂÂ  It is written by a Ukrainian Catholic, Roman Cholij, and attempts to argue that mandatory clerical celibacy has Apostolic roots and that the common Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing married men to become clergy is not in line with the early tradition which stressed celibacy for the unmarried or lifelong continence for those priests already married.ÂÂ  By implication, the Roman Catholic Church is much more correct in requiring all priests to be celibate, or at least continent.ÂÂ  The book makes much out of the so-called Council of Trullo.ÂÂ  The writer portrays the Orthodox Church as making concessions to human weakness in allowing married men to become priests, and furthermore of allowing them to continue the conjugal act after ordination.

Are there any accessible Orthodox works or documents which might defend the Orthodox position of allowing married men to become priests and to have children?

I really appreciate your help!ÂÂ  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 08:59:48 PM by StGeorge » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:24:03 PM »

I'm doing a 10-page paper based on a book that I am presently reading, Clerical Celibacy in East and West.ÂÂ  It is written by a Ukrainian Catholic, Roman Cholij, and attempts to argue that mandatory clerical celibacy has Apostolic roots and that the common Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing married men to become clergy is not in line with the early tradition which stressed celibacy for the unmarried or lifelong continence for those priests already married.ÂÂ  By implication, the Roman Catholic Church is much more correct in requiring all priests to be celibate, or at least continent.ÂÂ  The book makes much out of the so-called Council of Trullo.ÂÂ  The writer portrays the Orthodox Church as making concessions to human weakness in allowing married men to become priests, and furthermore of allowing them to continue the conjugal act after ordination.

Are there any accessible Orthodox works or documents which might defend the Orthodox position of allowing married men to become priests and to have children?

I really appreciate your help!ÂÂ  Smiley

Though not written by an Orthodox Christian, I would Strongly Recommend 'History of Sacerdotal Celibacy' 1867 by Henry Charles Lea, who though a Quaker wrote an excellent history of Sacerdotal Celibacy, though he primarially focused on the western Church. It should give you everything you need to count the opinion of this latin author.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »

http://www.byzantines.net/epiphany/ordination.htm

JoeS   Cool
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:14:19 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, St. Peter was also married.  There is no canon in the Orthodox Church that asked for priests to be celibate before being ordained (I can't even find one for bishops either).

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:00:03 AM »

You could always try Vested in Grace: Marriage and Priesthood in the Christian East (edited by Joseph Allen), which Amazon.com has for $20. I didn't get much out of it (I found it to be a bit too liberal), but you might have a different reading experience.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: