OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 07:01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is he a saint?  (Read 871 times) Average Rating: 0
arjuna3110

« on: October 25, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »

Is Eusebius of Caesarea (author of "The History of the Church") counted officially as a saint by the Orthodox Church?   

If not, why?  The man was arrested twice for being a Christian, he was the friend of Constantine, he was a bishop, he attended the Council of Nicea and sided with the Alexandrians, he wrote defenses of the faith and accounts of the martyrs, and he wrote the most important document on early Church history after the Bible itself.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:48:24 AM »

Is Eusebius of Caesarea (author of "The History of the Church") counted officially as a saint by the Orthodox Church?

He is much admired for his theological texts (it's hard to find ones other than Ecclesiastical History, but CCEL has been adding many). He is not a saint of the Church, however.

If not, why?

Well, not to be mean or anything, but he's not a saint because he's not a saint. Smiley We can't mistake people whose lives happen to be pious, or whose writings we find profound, for saints. Yeah, Saints often have those qualities, but just because you have those qualities it doesn't mean that you are automatically a shoe-in for glorification. I've seen similar questions about certain modern theologians, but useful writings, or even being persecuted, do not necessarily make one a saint. What makes one a saint is, well, saintliness. Maybe his saintliness was great, I don't personally mean to judge him; but in the end the Church has decided to not glorify him, so their united voice through sixteen centuries overrules our individual voices.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:58:08 AM »

I always thought the reason why he is not a saint had to do with his support of Arianism.  It was my understanding that he only reluctantly signed onto the Nicene Creed after it became apparent that the supporters of Arius were on the losing side.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tags: Eusebius saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: