OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 10:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Day Fast: Important!  (Read 1763 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: October 24, 2005, 06:19:29 AM »

His Holiness Pope Shenouda III has called for a three day fast from Monday to Wednesday due to the situation in Alexandria, Egypt regarding the besieging of St George's Church by Islamic fanatics.

It was also recently stated on an Egyptian news program that newspapers have recently been circulating (their source kept anonymous by the program) making lawful the blood of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, in the name of Islam.

Please fast these three days if you can, and remember the Copts of Egypt, and His Holiness Pope Shenouda in your prayers.

+ Irini nem ehmot +
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 06:20:50 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:37:21 AM »

Is this confirmed by a priest and the bishop in your diocese?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:42:58 AM »

If you're referring to the 3 day fast, then yes; Abouna Takla received received the message from the Pope himself.

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 08:43:33 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »

Not long ago, during the situation with the priest's wife converting to Islam and back, several priests in the states announced that H.H. had called for a fast, when in fact nothing of the sort had happened.  Does anyone have a copy of a letter from H.H. calling for this fast?  In any case, no one should ever fast without the permission of their father in confession...
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:15:49 PM »

Our priests in NJ never told us any message of a three-day fast.  There must be something wrong if Pope Shenouda asked for a fast and not everyone heard it.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 11:19:03 AM »

We need official documents to fast now? Listen to yourselves...

Let's assume for arguments sake Abouna Takla got it wrong - is it going to kill you to fast for a good cause? Isn't the priest himself in a position to advocate a fast, even if he is mislead into thinking that the Pope has personally requested it? Since when do fasts need papal sanction anyway? Unbelievable...

+Irini nem makarismos

Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 04:54:32 PM »

We need official documents to fast now? Listen to yourselves...

Let's assume for arguments sake Abouna Takla got it wrong - is it going to kill you to fast for a good cause? Isn't the priest himself in a position to advocate a fast, even if he is mislead into thinking that the Pope has personally requested it? Since when do fasts need papal sanction anyway? Unbelievable...

+Irini nem makarismos

If your Father of Confession tells you to fast, fast.  If I were to fast because you told me to over the internet without the permission of my father of confession, that would be a sin of presumption.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:10:23 AM »

Dear EA,

Forgive me for being suspicious.  Remember when the incident with the Priest's wife happened in Egypt?  There was also another message where the Pope ordered for a three-day fast.  That turned out to be FALSE!  HG Bishop David of our diocese said NEVER to listen to internet ramblings of fasting as if it came from the orders of the Pope.  If truly the Pope wanted everyone to fast, the Pope would tell all the bishops, in which case the bishop would fax this message to all the priests of his diocese, and on a Sunday, the priest informs the congregation of this message.

I emailed my priest, and he said he has received NO MESSAGE to fast, which gives me reason to disbelieve.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't fast about the situation.  Fasting and prayer is always encouraged.  But to say that the Pope said so, we must be careful.

God bless.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 09:11:20 AM by minasoliman » Logged

joyisgod

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:16:57 PM »

Dear Mina,

In Washington State my priest was informed by H.H. Pope Shenouda that there was a three day fast from Mon-Wed. and there was even a liturgy on Monday specifically for that purpose, so I’m not sure why in New Jersey you guys were not informed of this fast. 

Any who, Anba David is absolutely correct; you should never listen to Internet ramblings because honestly you really don’t know what is valid and what is false.  But when you hear something and you start to have suspiciousness then it is your duty to find out the truth. 

However, what we should not do is simply hear something off the Internet and believe blindly in it or completely ignore it and say, “I’m not going to do anything until there is an OFFICAL document from H.H Pope Shenouda telling us to fast.”  It’s so simple to find the answer, go and call your priest and inquire about the situation.  If he says there "isn’t a fast" and you would like to fast because you believe this is a good cause to fast for, then simply get his permission to do so, and if he says "there is a fast going on" then … fast.  Wink Which is exactly what you did, and which is why I applaud you. 

Fasting is a blessing not a chore, "Now, therefore," says the Lord, "Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." Joel 2:12 

In His Name

“I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord” (Gn 18:27).
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 01:21:31 AM »

H.G. Bishop Serapion has called for an OFFICIAL fast:

http://www.lacopts.org/index.php/lacopts/entry/three_days_of_fasting/

H.G. Bishop Daniel has also called for an OFFICIAL fast:

http://www.coptic.org.au/

+Irini nem makarismos.

Tags: fasting Coptic Orthodox Church persecution Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: