Author Topic: Good Article on Assyrian-Orthodox Unity  (Read 737 times)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Good Article on Assyrian-Orthodox Unity
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
http://www.aina.org/news/20180202124100.htm

This article, written by a member of the Assyrian community, calls for and summarizes the process by which we should pray that communion is restored between the two Assyrian jurisdictions and then with the Orthodox.

The oldest surviving Patriarch of a major Middle Eastern church, the only one ordained in the 1960s-80s still serving, is to my knowledge Addai II, Catholicos of the Ancient Church of the East, previously Old Calendarist (now Revised Julian, whereas the Assyrian Church of the East uses the Gregorian and also was, until the death of Mar Dinkha IV, based in Chicago, since the 1920s, whereas the Ancient Church of the East has continually remained in Iraq.  Other than that there are no noteworthy differences.

I am inclined to believe these churches are fully Orthodox, as the article in question displays the beautiful iconography of the Assyrian cathedral in Paris; Assyrian icons are rare, but are becoming more common, and Syriac Orthodox icons are also less common than one would prefer due to the persecutions; their Christology and sacraments are considered valid and non-Nestorian by the Roman Catholic Church, which likewise through ecumenical dialogue recognized the sacramental and Christological validity of Oriental Orthodoxy.  Chalcedonians, OOs and Assyrians seem to share basically the same Christology; there are a few unpleasant aspects of the Assyrian church in terms of the veneration of Nestorius, but we can I am sure think of other persons who are venerated by the Orthodox or by Rome who did little to merit such veneration.  For example, the Origenist bishop Lucifer of Cagliari, venerated heavily in Sardinia, which had been his diocese; the antagonism netween himself, St. Jerome and St. Epiphanius is not endearing, even if one objects to the anathematization of Origen advocated by Sts. Jerome and Epiphanius.

Apparently the Georgian Orthodox church is conducting liturgies in Assyrian for the benefit of Assyrian immigrants; I had heard about this, but was unaware that it was in service of an actual population, and the article suggests the  ethnically Assyrian priest incorporates some elements of the traditional East Syriac liturgy.

I wish we had a subforum on OCNet for Assyrians; we presently lack Assyrian members, but perhaps “if we built it, they would come.”  We share so much in common with the Assyrian church, objectively we probably have somewhat more in common with their faith, which is ancient and basically unmodified since the 6th century, than with the Roman Catholics, where there exist several troublesome errors and even heresies, in certain parts of the Church, over which the Popes, despite being given universal jurisdiction and being declared infallible ex cathedra, seemingly have no control.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Good Article on Assyrian-Orthodox Unity
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »
Syriac Orthodox icons are also less common than one would prefer due to the persecutions

I don't think that's why. Prior to the iconoclast controversy you wouldn't have seen so many icons in Byzantine churches.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »
Syriac Orthodox icons are also less common than one would prefer due to the persecutions

I don't think that's why. Prior to the iconoclast controversy you wouldn't have seen so many icons in Byzantine churches.

This is an interesting point.  I would note that a typical Coptic parish has a range of iconography on a par with an EO parish (albeit they do not venerate them in quite the same way as the EOs).  Perhaps the Copric iconography was the result of a similiar clash with Egyptian iconoclasts now forgotten or faded into extreme obscurity?  Perhaps the Monophysite/Tritheist sect of John Philoponus which St. John of Damascus conflated with the Coptic church was iconoclastic? 

There is a problem with the persecution argument I presented, in that it is shot down by the heavy Coptic iconography, and the Copts were as severely persecuted as anyone; your counterargument I could accept if you have a plausible hypothesis as to the near equivalence between Coptic and Byzantine iconographic “density” and the extreme thematic similiarity, despite the outward stylistic variation.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Maybe they just liked icons a lot.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
I like this section of the article which goes into the attempts of Rome to sway them even after the decress of Vatican II:

Roman Tactics and Uniate Movements

It is always the tactics of Papacy to send Franciscan or other missionaries to work among Eastern Christians to bring them under the Papal communion and rule. This no different from the Evangelical, Mormon, and Pentecostal missionaries working in several eastern Christian hubs where they convert Orthodox and other eastern Christians, mainly through monetary and social assistance. Rome encourages the consecration of Orthodox or other Eastern Bishops who approach them aiming the formation Eastern Catholic communities...

"Not one of the Uniate Eastern Churches is ancient. They are all insignificant and comparatively recent schisms, which have been brought under Roman influence either during the crusades, or much later, chiefly from political motives, to secure French protectorate...The Roman Prelates, who call themselves Patriarchs of Constantinople, Antioch and Jerusalem and so forth, have no connection with the real secession and the real Churches there. They are simply "dummies" set up to produce a false impression of Catholicity, and to make Roman Church seem to be Eastern as well as Western.

Rome, especially after the Second Vatican Council, stated that Unaites or Eastern Catholicism would not be a tool to accept or convert Orthodox or Eastern Christians. However, they have not adhered to their statement until date. All of these remain just in papers or just declarations. Rome has very clever ways to construct ecumenism; always to their advantage. This is the bare minimum understanding that all Assyrian and Orthodox Christians should always keep in their hearts. If we do not remain alert, Vatican will swallow the whole of Assyrian Church of the East.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Maybe they just liked icons a lot.

And looking at hieroglyphs and ancient Egyptian monuments it's not surprising.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Al Masihi

• Faith: Melkite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
May the Oriental Orthodox rejoin in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church soon.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
May the Oriental Orthodox rejoin in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church soon.

I guess we’ve moved past Sunday...   ;)
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite