OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe this is none of my business...but....  (Read 1173 times) Average Rating: 0
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« on: October 23, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »

Could someone explain to me WHY a person who has already established a username here on OC.net would then desire to create a different one??  Is it for clandestine reasons??  Also, how are they found out?...are the moderators constantly on the lookout for these "outlaws"?       Tongue       just curious,   Juliana
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 02:36:40 PM »

Could someone explain to me WHY a person who has already established a username here on OC.net would then desire to create a different one??  Is it for clandestine reasons??  Also, how are they found out?...are the moderators constantly on the lookout for these "outlaws"?  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Tongue  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ just curious,  ÃƒÆ’‚ Juliana

You touch upon a very important topic that we were about to bring up again. Users are only allowed ONE username and account.  It was previously somewhat vague if this meant "for life" or "at one time."  So after a poster took advantage of this and changed his username earlier this year, we restated that the policy is one account per person period.

In the past, people have done it for clandestine reasons, to "start afresh" (which we don't approve of--you still have to answer to God so why not to your fellow men and women? a simply apology and change of tone does wonders), or to cause deceit. They are found out because we can read your IP address and if people post from the same IP address regularly we quickly find out if they are using multiple accounts.  Also, posting style tends to be similar even after account names are changed.

The bottom line: don't create new accounts. We will lock the new account and possibly have to bring in sanctions. We don't want to do that.  We also don't want to have to resort to approving new members individually.

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:15:34 PM »

There was the time a couple of years ago, (iirc) where there was a spate of changing the nickname on the account in a fit of fun (for the most part).   Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:00:26 PM »

Thank you Anastasios.  I am glad you apprised me of the situation.  And IMHO it is always best to come clean and apologize about something and trust your fellow men that they will be understanding.  There is something creepy about changing your username as if to take a mulligan on posting.   Ah well.                     Juliana Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:06:59 PM »

There was the time a couple of years ago, (iirc) where there was a spate of changing the nickname on the account in a fit of fun (for the most part).  ÃƒÆ’‚ Smiley

Ebor

Yeah I didn't mind it so much at first but then threads started getting confusing lol

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:26:52 AM »

It was cool until people starting changing their names to Hindi. 
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 01:54:51 AM »

There was the time a couple of years ago, (iirc) where there was a spate of changing the nickname on the account in a fit of fun (for the most part).   Smiley

Ebor

This is not a novel concept.  Many other message boards allow this too.  No need to be alarmed, people.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:09:22 AM »

It was I who created a new nickname for myself; there was no hidden agenda, nor did I intend to deceive anyone. In fact, I am the one who before even posting, PM’d all three administrators notifying them of what I had done, and my reasons behind it (let any of them deny it). That they can trace my i.p., though helpful, will never provide them with anything conclusive, since I am not necessarily (and in this case am not) the only one using this PC.

It’s unfortunate that they chose to be tight about it; I don’t think it would have really hurt them had they let me be; nor do I see any public policy reasons behind their decision, considering no one else would have known (some may argue that people would have worked it out sooner or later, but that’s purely speculation).

Furthermore, the fact I was publicly moderated in the manner I was, suggests to me that their decision was more personal as opposed to them simply feeling obliged to enforce forum policy — I don’t intend to debate this, nor does it really bother me either way. However, regardless, a simple PM would have done fine; after all, I was the one who initially PM’d them asking for their permission, and hence would have immediately discontinued using the account in question had they answered in the negative. It could’ve been resolved privately with no problem.

In any event, I was going to leave the forum; not because I didn’t get my way, but rather because I thought my reasons behind needing a new account were sufficiently significant enough to stop me from using my old account nonetheless; however, I have since been convinced otherwise — I guess life is full of risks, and as we say in Arabic: “rabena yostor” (“The Lord protects”) - and plus, leaving like that would just be making it too easy for some.  Wink

+ Irini nem ehmot! +

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »

EA,

I am confused as to what you are saying.  Silouan/Nektarios was the person who earlier this year changed his name and provoked our firming up of the policy.  You were merely the first person who violated the policy after it was "tightened up."

As far as public moderation, 1) if you hadn't outed yourself no one would have known and 2) muting someone is the only way we can stop someone from posting, because we don't erase usernames as it can compromise the database!  And no, we can't just ask you nicely to stop posting and then leave the account active. Open accounts can cause problems down the road.

To suggest that because we used the means available to us--without revealing who you were--that this shows it was personal is ridiculous and absurd, as well as quite hurtful to us.  We actually like your posts and enjoy the amount of good discussion and debate you facilitate.  To be falsely accused in this manner is quite shocking.

We have public policies for our reasons and they are not open to debate.  But just so you know, it is because managing 1300 user accounts can be a pain and we don't need people making multiples.

My only reason to mention deceit, is that other posters have been deceitful in the past; we weren't thinking of you and I think that was clear from my initial post.  This is the other part of the reason why multiple user accounts are forbidden.

I'm glad you will be staying.

Anastasios

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: