OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:37:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on Applying to Aristotle University of Thessaloniki??  (Read 2063 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: October 22, 2005, 04:33:30 PM »

Hey everyone, I know quite a few of you here on the board went to or are going to the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

I talked to the Consulate of Greece for my city and they haven't been too helpful. They refer me to websites with redundant info and phone numbers which don't work.

I'm going on Monday to meet someone there, so what documents should I bring with me? My passport, birth certificate, health card info, drivers license? Also, do I need my parent's info? If so which information? I could only bring my mother's information anyways because I've only discussed this issue with my mother who fully supports me...wehreas my father would snap in a second.

But thats a whole different story...back to the consulate, also I hear I need to pass a Greek proficiency test.before entering the university..my greek is 50/50 so I'm guessing I'm going to need a full year course and then take the test.

for that year, I will need to find a place to stay: is Thessaloniki extreme;y expenisve to live in? According to the website of the School of Modern Greek, they have a limited number of spaces for ppl to stay there.

As for documents I understand I need:

1. A certificate of Average Marks
2. Certificate of Eligibility
3. Certificare of Greek Enrollment Eligibility
4.Certificate of Citizenship and Descent
5. Official Copy of Birth Certificate
6.Official Copy of high School transcripts
7. High School Diploma

I can get 5,6,7 no problem but how do you go about getting the first 4?

I was also told that if you have greek descent you need to take entrance exams. is that true? even if you are from North America?

How much approximately is university fees in Thessaloniki? I'm under the impression that it is partially subsidized by the Greek gov't.

Please pray for me  as I decide where to go to university. It's actually quite stressful as my father and I totallly disagree where I should go and what I should do. I believe in obedience to parents, but I don't want my dad to dictate what I will do with the rest of my life.

Sorry for all the questions. It's a shame the consulate can't answer lots of my questions.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 08:57:16 PM »

Well be prepared for a lot of headaches, dead ends and frustrations.  Greeks quite simply aren't very good at dealing with "official" type things and get confused very easily.  You'll need a lot of patience, some creativity and a supply of liquer doesn't hurt either.  I can only speak for how to obtain documents in America as I have zero knowledge of how things work in Canada.

1) This is a document that does not exist in America (you'll run across this a lot - europe has many more layers of bueacracy than America).  Basicly you need your high school registrar to draft a letter saying you had satisfactory grades in your classes.  This is redundent - I know.  The more stamps and seals that they can put on this the better - Greeks are easily fooled by such things. 

2) Another document that doesn't exist in America.  You'll need a letter from someone (i.e school registrar, principle etc.) stating you would be eligible to enter the field of studies you are entering in Greece in America.  Make this as official looking as possible.

3)  This requires a few things actually.  You need to prove that you are allowed to enter a university in Greece.  I didn't personally have to deal with this document - but for non - greek residents I know part of this is proving competence in Demotic Greek.

4)  You need a statement documenting your ethnicity (yeah I know this is strange).  In my case it was simple - my parents simply wrote a letter stating they were Americans and not of Greek descent, got it notarized and that was all I needed.  I think the procedure is more complicated if you are of Greek descent.

Oh and don't expect anything from the consulate.  And if you get frustrated by the consulate, keep in mind that the VERY BEST Greece has to offer staffs their consulates in America, Australia and Canada. 

I was also told that if you have greek descent you need to take entrance exams. is that true? even if you are from North America?

Depends on what percentage of Greek you are, when your family left Greece etc. I don't remember the numbers off hand since being 0% Greek it was something I didn't have to deal with. 
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »

Hey Silouan. Thanks for the informative reply.

My family left Greece for the middle east during or before the 19th century....if u have greek blood in you the upside is that university there is free but you just gotta take tests stating your not a dumb***. If you aren't greek @ all then university does cost you money but u dont have to take any introductory tests I think.
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:15:12 AM »

What do you want to study at AUTH? 
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 12:27:35 PM »

I dunno if universities there have majors and minors...but if they have an equivalent, I want to either major in history (byzantine preferably) or go to the seminary thats attached to the university there...or kinda do both in conjunction with each other.
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:42:20 AM »

Ha - Greeks don't do multi disciplinary studies.  Actually Europeans in general aren't as big into that as Americans.  There is no seminary attached (seminary in the American sense).  There is a school of theology at AUTH.  The difference being is there is no pastoral classes offered, no spiritual guidanced/ discernment offered through the school etc.  Eitherway the Theology school is the easiest to get into re: test scores.  Just as a warning though - think long and hard if this is what you want to do.  You'll end up with a degree that is more or less useless in America (Greek schools aren't accredited) plus your educations will be very specialized. 
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:46:42 AM »

Silouan, you're right. That makes sense. Say I got a history degree there, and I wanted to come back to North America and be a history teacher here,  do you think it wouldn't couint because I did it in Greece...I know here often ppl who come from overseeswho were once techers etc only need to do a transfer course(s) from Europe/middle east to North America and then can start with their profession.

My dad wants me to finish uniersity here and then go to thessaloniki for two years of study...regretfully i agree with him.

Nehow I'm off to the consulate! Thanks a lot Silouan for your patience and informative responses. God bless,
                                                                                                                                                        Timos
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 01:12:02 PM »

Like usual the situation is different with Greece than than the rest of Europe.  The Greek government refuses to accredit the non - government schools (i.e private colleges) in Greece.  Thus the American colleges refuse to accredit the Greek schools in retalation.  Now I don't know if that would mean you couldn't get a job in North America, but I do know it would make things more complicated.
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »

Don't get me wrong either - AUTH is a wonderful opportunity.  Thessaloniki is a great city packed with churches, relics, icons and culture.  I really would have loved to have gone to school there, but plans fell through.  Still it is good to have realistic expectations about the school and not romanticize it. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: