Author Topic: Should they start a Lithuanian Orthodox Church?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
Should they start a Lithuanian Orthodox Church?
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
there is a Orthodox church for almost everyone (Russian Orthodox church,Polish Orthodox church, Romanian Orthodox church,church of Constantinople, Serbian Orthodox church, Bulgarian Orthodox church etc etc) but there is no Lithuanian Orthodox church! so what do you think should there be a LOC.

"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Should they start a Lithuanian Orthodox Church?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
Three problems:
1. There are few Orthodox Lithuanians; but yeah, they exist, they have even services in Lithuanian
2. Russian Orthodox Church perceives it as its canonical territory
3. Polish Orthodox see Vilnus as ex-its metropoly and would like to see it again under Polish country and the Church (together with Lvov - we'd have 3 metropolitan cathedrals then).

So, I think only an exarchate for Orthodox Lithuanians is a real option.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Dominika: have you ever visited Holy Spirit Russian Orthodox Church in Vilnius?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_the_Holy_Spirit,_Vilnius

From the pictures it looks very grand. 
Architecture
In the 19th century, when Vilnius was part of the Russian Empire, several Byzantine Revival architectural elements were added to the church, but it nevertheless retained its essentially Baroque form. Indeed, the added Orthodox frescoes, Iconostasis and dome enhanced its magnificence, as did the addition of deep blue and green interior decor. Unusual in an Orthodox church are the Scagliola (simulated marble) sculptures. A new reliquary was added in 1853.

But from the pictures in the article the iconostasis with the sculptures  looks like a bright kelly green.  I am wondering if the green looks as garish in person.   

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

Architecture
In the 19th century, when Vilnius was part of the Russian Empire, several Byzantine Revival architectural elements were added to the church, but it nevertheless retained its essentially Baroque form. Indeed, the added Orthodox frescoes, Iconostasis and dome enhanced its magnificence, as did the addition of deep blue and green interior decor. Unusual in an Orthodox church are the Scagliola (simulated marble) sculptures. A new reliquary was added in 1853.

But from the pictures in the article the iconostasis with the sculptures  looks like a bright kelly green.  I am wondering if the green looks as garish in person.

Yes, I visited it 8 years ago along with some other Orthodox churches there. It's famous for 3 Martys that are very venerated by the Polish Orthodox Church - they're actually mentioned at every litiya. So, along with the Ostrobramska icon, it's a place must-to-see for a Polish Orthodox (well, my mother is Polish Catholic and she had visited these places 2 years before me).

This green is not so garish.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Who are these martyrs?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 04:40:43 AM »

Architecture

Yes, I visited it 8 years ago along with some other Orthodox churches there. It's famous for 3 Martys that are very venerated by the Polish Orthodox Church - they're actually mentioned at every litiya. So, along with the Ostrobramska icon, it's a place must-to-see for a Polish Orthodox (well, my mother is Polish Catholic and she had visited these places 2 years before me).

This green is not so garish.

I was there 3 days ago I visited 4 orthodox churches and the Ostrobramska icon as I am visiting Vilnius!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread.  I have never been to see it but maybe on my next trip to Eastern Europe. 

From this video it looks like the colours do not clash maybe because the pink is very pale.  It is a huge building and very grand and imposing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTxBZ4Gy6o

It is just so large:
And here is a brief video with the choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzzOODeUquw

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread.  I have never been to see it but maybe on my next trip to Eastern Europe. 

From this video it looks like the colours do not clash maybe because the pink is very pale.  It is a huge building and very grand and imposing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTxBZ4Gy6o

It is just so large:
And here is a brief video with the choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzzOODeUquw

I wouldn't say it's so large.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Orthodoxy in Lithuania
In Lithuania, the Orthodox faith is perhaps even more ethnic than Judaism. That is, the vast majority of Lithuania’s Orthodox population is ethnically Slavic, primarily Russian. This is in stark contrast to Latvia, Estonia or Finland where there are many Orthodox people of titular ethnicity. Interestingly, a separate Lithuanian Orthodox Church doesn’t even exist. All the Orthodox Church buildings are directly subordinated to the Russian Orthodox Church based in Moscow.

Vilnius, for centuries the capital of multi-religious Grand Duchy of Lithuania, had Orthodox churches since the 14th century. But this faith came to the other parts of Lithuania only after the annexation by the Russian Empire in 1795. Czarist policy of Russification brought large domed churches to the new wide squares and straight avenues, and so even today in Vilnius 19th century districts the Orthodox churches outnumber the Roman Catholic ones. Every major town of the 19th century Lithuania received its own Orthodox church (more than a single one in Vilnius and Kaunas). A minority of these buildings were ceded to the Roman Catholic community after the 1918 independence, but the iconic neo-Byzantine facades and domes remained intact even there.

read more:  http://www.truelithuania.com/orthodoxy-in-lithuania-116

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_Orthodox_Church
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:35:14 PM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.