Author Topic: Cannabis Kills  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Cannabis Kills
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
I am tired of moronic potheads who insist, contrary to the evidence, that marijuana does not provoke violence:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/02/psychotic-killer-attacked-new-father-told-police-leave-dead/
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
Re: Cannabis Kills
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
watch this video it gives a good explanation why weed is ok if you are over a certain age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlqsdezhhk
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:01:23 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
weed is ok

Now this explains a lot of things.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
weed is ok

what do you mean by that

btw weed is not ok as its a sin to do any drugs!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
weed is ok

what do you mean by that

Why did you link us to a video promoting marijuana use?
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
weed is ok

what do you mean by that

Why did you link us to a video promoting marijuana use?

this is embarrassing for me to admit but at the moment I forgot all about have sinful it is and just wanted something to prove you wrong! I pray that you will forgive me brethren! :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
I am tired of moronic potheads who insist, contrary to the evidence, that marijuana does not provoke violence:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/02/psychotic-killer-attacked-new-father-told-police-leave-dead/

Memory eternal.  How awful.  ( I know it's dated, but still).

There are more factors involved than the drug, so the drug can't solely be blamed, as convenient as that would be...   :(
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
Marijuana can indeed trigger psychosis in some people, but it's not a common reaction. Many psychiatric meds can have it worse.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
My opinion on Cannabis has been that I think there are some significant medical practicalities, provided there is severe regulation (you can't just smoke a blunt in a hospital). After all, if Opium has great medical benefits, how can something that is definitely less harmful be immoral to be used for medicinal purposes, particularly in the case of helping victims with cancer and with epilepsy?  I am on the fence on recreational legalization; my opposition to marijuana is more or less an opposition to the culture that wants to legalize it, and wants to be more braindead than we already are as a society, although there is the whole prohibition question.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:14:47 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »
My opinion on Cannabis has been that I think there are some significant medical practicalities, provided there is severe regulation (you can't just smoke a blunt in a hospital). After all, if Opium has great medical benefits, how can something that is definitely less harmful be immoral to be used for medicinal purposes, particularly in the case of helping victims with cancer and with epilepsy?  I am on the fence on recreational legalization; my opposition to marijuana is more or less an opposition to the culture that wants to legalize it, and wants to be more braindead than we already are as a society, although there is the whole prohibition question.

+10000000000000

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
All of the arguments for criminalizing it apply to alcohol too, even more so, so unless one is a prohibitionist the resistance is bound to fall apart sooner or later. Also, while it certainly can make dumb people even dumber, I've had some very interesting conversations with baked people which I can't say for alcohol.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »
I tend to be libertarian on the drug issue. Seeing 40 billion marijuana dispensaries evey time I stick my head out the door, though, is provoking me toward violence.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Has always had no effect on me other than giving me a terrible cough. So goes for stronger  stuff that just messed up my sinuses
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
The story at hand is way more about him being an unmedicated schizophrenic then his cannabis use.....way to take a story and make it say what you wish it to.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
This doesn't seem to be any more of a convincing argument than saying "Alcohol kills" as argument for why we should reinstate prohibition.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »

This kill ~ this is a killer ~ Alcohol , Cannabis nor caffine  ~ nothing can be used as an excuse ~ not coke, not meth ~ nothing ~ Killers kill ```

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:24:06 PM by Sethrak »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »

why did you post this picture of the person involved in the incident!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:24:24 PM by Orthodox_Slav »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Why do you ask ``` Why did you post the picture ```
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:26:07 PM by Sethrak »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Has always had no effect on me other than giving me a terrible cough. So goes for stronger  stuff that just messed up my sinuses
I hope you're talking about snuff tobacco, punk!  :police:
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
I have multiple sclerosis. I may have to get a prescription for medical marijuana. They say it fights the tremors.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
I have heard that ~ recently we had a dog who was having terrible seizures ~ she began having seizure after seizure ~ it may have been decided too late be we got cannabis oil for her ~ but she never came completely out ~ of course it could have been a brain tumor ```

But I have read of good results with children prone to seizures ```

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
Legalize it.

I've never touched the stuff.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
I have multiple sclerosis. I may have to get a prescription for medical marijuana. They say it fights the tremors.
Oh, I'm so sorry... I hope you get what you need.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 12:20:59 AM »
I am tired of moronic potheads who insist, contrary to the evidence, that marijuana does not provoke violence...

Not as moronic as ruining someone's life with a rap sheet and traumatizing his family, possibly condemning his children to abject poverty, because he inhaled certain kinds of smoke.

PS: I'm helplessly square and never touched any illegal drug.  Not out of any heightened illusion of virtue, but out of low confidence in my resistance to addictions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:24:22 AM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 02:48:19 AM »
I am tired of moronic potheads who insist, contrary to the evidence, that marijuana does not provoke violence...

Not as moronic as ruining someone's life with a rap sheet and traumatizing his family, possibly condemning his children to abject poverty, because he inhaled certain kinds of smoke.

PS: I'm helplessly square and never touched any illegal drug.  Not out of any heightened illusion of virtue, but out of low confidence in my resistance to addictions.

I have not advocated any political policy; my point is merely that weed is properly dangerous, at least as dangerous as booze.  Ironically I am allergic to both; I used to enjoy a Belgian beer but alas I never had the pleasure of being drunk, although the flipside of that is I never have had a hangover.   If someone even smokes weed in my general vicinity, or tobacco for that matter, I can get a sore throat from it.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 02:52:36 AM »
The story at hand is way more about him being an unmedicated schizophrenic then his cannabis use.....way to take a story and make it say what you wish it to.

Cannabis causes and/or exacerbates psychotic disorders.  If you don’t believe me, talk to anyone who works with mental health.

The drug is also a disinhibitor, like alcohol.

Obviously, we aren’t talking about a drug as dangerous as meth, LSD, or cocaine, but marijuana is still a hazard.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
Based on this criteria of maybe dangerous to some, we should also outlaw your posts.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
Based on this criteria of maybe dangerous to some, we should also outlaw your posts.

Cannabis is dangerous to all who use it, like alcohol.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »

Well, better than sinning.
I'm done.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
The only reason cannabis is illegal anywhere is moral panic. Pretty much everyone enjoy their beer and vodka here and there and it causes a lot more problems. Breaking fast is a sin and supporting organized crime is a sin but nothing wrong with the substance itself.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
The only reason cannabis is illegal anywhere is moral panic. Pretty much everyone enjoy their beer and vodka here and there and it causes a lot more problems. Breaking fast is a sin and supporting organized crime is a sin but nothing wrong with the substance itself.
I do not know. Humanity developed a certain tolerance with regards to alcohol over the millenia, we even have enzymes to decompose it.
Not so with Cannabis - it is not that much ingrained culturally and physiologically.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:20:44 PM by Lepanto »
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
I do not know. Humanity grew accustomed to alcohol to some extent over the millenia, we even have enzymes to decompose it.
Not so with Cannabis - it is not that much ingrained culturally and physiologically.
Until many decades ago, one could buy cannabis, cocaine or heroin at his local pharmacy over the counter.  And if he was unable to process any of these physiologically, it fails me how this can be a crime.  What one ingests or injects in his own body is his problem, even if the consequences of such actions do become someone else's problem, but there are plenty of laws to deal with these.  Alas, once we veered into the abyss of throwing someone in a cage to prevent a crime, it became a profitable business to municipalities subsidized by federal recompenses that's now more ingrained, financially and culturally, than cannabis.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:29:21 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »

Except it has been shown in scientific testing to cause psychotic disorders or exacerbate such tendencies.  It is correlated with mental illness.  Alcoholism conversely is coordinated with disorderly conduct.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
I do not know. Humanity grew accustomed to alcohol to some extent over the millenia, we even have enzymes to decompose it.
Until many decades ago, one could buy cannabis, cocaine or heroin at his local pharmacy over the counter.  And if he was unable to process any of these physiologically, it fails me how this can be a crime.  What one ingests or injects in his own body is his problem, even if the consequences of such actions do become someone else's problem, but there are plenty of laws to deal with these.  Alas, once we veered into the abyss of throwing someone in a cage to prevent a crime, it became a profitable business to municipalities subsidized by federal recompenses that's now more ingrained, financially and culturally, than cannabis.

This is of course wildly inaccurate; drug abuse is a huge drain on the economy to a large extent due to the high cost of incarceration.  Only with the advent of private prisons has any legitimate entity started making money off of it.

Most police I know say the greater portion of their job is in some way connected to drugs or alcohol.  We need to, from a religious perspective, stress the dangers of these passions.  Fr. Giryus in particular had a very good blog on this subject, Orthodoxy and Recovery.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Except it has been shown in scientific testing to cause psychotic disorders or exacerbate such tendencies.  It is correlated with mental illness.  Alcoholism conversely is coordinated with disorderly conduct.

Alcohol causes psychosis too. IIRC the risk is four times higher than with Cannabis. That is not a reason to prohibit it. It is a reason to drink less, smoke less, increase taxation and offer proper health care and job opportunities.

I do not know. Humanity developed a certain tolerance with regards to alcohol over the millenia, we even have enzymes to decompose it.

Which is not caused by the substance but by the fact that it's illegal. Back in the days coca wine had a legit space and various substances could still have if there wasn't social stigma attached to it.

At least around here people drink less and less every year even though the policies get more liberal and I can't see why that couldn't happen with other drugs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:09:14 PM by Alpo »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Weed is no more dangerous than any of the other thing that are available , no reason to be caught up in mid 1900s propaganda ```
If you get drunk and do a stupid thing ~ It's you not the booze ~ the same with coffee or weed ~ cannabis isn't bad as tobacco for you ```

Cannabis doesn't make you do anything more than coffee does ~ remember all the old films put out ~ like Refer Madness ~ are you still under the influence of that kind of thinking ```

Smoking Marijuana can't be good for you ~ maybe it's less bad than tobacco ~ still you'r breathing smoke ```

It won't turn you into a Homosucual, or a thief ~ or make you kill unborn children ```

One political party should never have been allowed to have this ~ too bad ```

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 04:22:29 PM »
Once again, I have not called for prohibiting anything in this thread, or for any political measures at all.  I am merely saying, it is an unhealthy passion which like alcohol abuse and smoking, should be discouraged.

I do think a case could be made to forbid clergy from using Marijuana except where medically indicated in the case of cancer, et cetera.  I also wish the Orthodox church could aspire to have smoke free clergy.   We might also fine clergy who are caught DUI or busted for public intox/drunk and disorderly.  There is a case to be made for canonical penances for impaired or distracted driving.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
This is of course wildly inaccurate; drug abuse is a huge drain on the economy to a large extent due to the high cost of incarceration.  Only with the advent of private prisons has any legitimate entity started making money off of it.

Most police I know say the greater portion of their job is in some way connected to drugs or alcohol.  We need to, from a religious perspective, stress the dangers of these passions.  Fr. Giryus in particular had a very good blog on this subject, Orthodoxy and Recovery.
Then stop incarcerating people who didn't commit any violent crime!  There, solved your self inflicted drain on the economy.  Except that police departments budgets are proportional to the number of arrests that they make.  Policing for personal profit FTW! 
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »
I do think a case could be made to forbid clergy from using Marijuana except where medically indicated in the case of cancer, et cetera.  I also wish the Orthodox church could aspire to have smoke free clergy.   We might also fine clergy who are caught DUI or busted for public intox/drunk and disorderly.  There is a case to be made for canonical penances for impaired or distracted driving.

Is that you, Alpha?

Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
Mother's family ~( Mom had 10 brothers and 1 sister ) had grape ranches in early California ~ they made and sold Adalian Brandy during Prohibition ~( Yettem, California )

one day the Feds showed up at the Sheriff's house and told him to get in the car ~ they left a man there so the Sheriff's wife couldn't call Uncle John ( John had the warehouse for bottling and shipping ~ the feds had several trucks with them ``` ( Father said delivery trucks were pulling in and out when the Feds arrived ```

The Feds loaded the trucks with the bottled and Boxed Brandy without spilling a drop ~ telling the sheriff as they left ~ with what they had stolen ~ " there is your prisoner " ```

Remember in the old Elliot Ness movies how they broke up the kegs spilling the brew before leaving ~ the feds never spilled a drop ~ what do you think they did with that wonderful Armenian Brandy ```

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:54:50 PM by Sethrak »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Uncle Joe helped me start my first keg ( I must have been close to ten at the time )~ a small one, only 5 gallons, used to hold syrup to Hunanian Pharmacy ```

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
Once again, I have not called for prohibiting anything in this thread, or for any political measures at all.  I am merely saying, it is an unhealthy passion which like alcohol abuse and smoking, should be discouraged.

There is also a case to be made for not following puritanical and Calvinist policies to regulate the church into some set of accepted behaviors

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Mother's family ~( Mom had 10 brothers and 1 sister ) had grape ranches in early California ~ they made and sold Adalian Brandy during Prohibition ~( Yettem, California )

one day the Feds showed up at the Sheriff's house and told him to get in the car ~ they left a man there so the Sheriff's wife couldn't call Uncle John ( John had the warehouse for bottling and shipping ~ the feds had several trucks with them ``` ( Father said delivery trucks were pulling in and out when the Feds arrived ```

The Feds loaded the trucks with the bottled and Boxed Brandy without spilling a drop ~ telling the sheriff as they left ~ with what they had stolen ~ " there is your prisoner " ```

Remember in the old Elliot Ness movies how they broke up the kegs spilling the brew before leaving ~ the feds never spilled a drop ~ what do you think they did with that wonderful Armenian Brandy ```

Relatives of mine ( since molokans are basically all related) have been in Kerman since the early 1900’s. Farming their little hearts out.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »

There is also a case to be made for not following puritanical and Calvinist policies to regulate the church into some set of accepted behaviors
in Romania at least in areas where evangelicals existed , the Orthodox saw it as their religious duty to get drunk, smoke and swear in most florid ways so as to distinguish themselves from those constipated puritans.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
You believe that ```