Author Topic: St. Peter I 2:17  (Read 154 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
St. Peter I 2:17
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
"Πάντας τιμήσατε, τὴν ἀδελφότητα ἀγαπᾶτε, τὸν Θεὸν φοβεῖσθε, τὸν βασιλέα τιμᾶτε."

This versicle comes out a bit difficult to understand for me as it uses nuances of the Greek aorist, and I can't find anything about the distinction between imperative aorist and imperfective tenses that would clarify this enough. How do you take the fact these two particular commands using the verb τιμάω use different tenses?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
Re: St. Peter I 2:17
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
"Πάντας τιμήσατε, τὴν ἀδελφότητα ἀγαπᾶτε, τὸν Θεὸν φοβεῖσθε, τὸν βασιλέα τιμᾶτε."

This versicle comes out a bit difficult to understand for me as it uses nuances of the Greek aorist, and I can't find anything about the distinction between imperative aorist and imperfective tenses that would clarify this enough. How do you take the fact these two particular commands using the verb τιμάω use different tenses?
I dont believe a direct translation of the word exists. The closest english word would be "to value". The first is a command to value. As an outward expression. The last is to hold dearly. An inward expression of value.

Maybe someone else can do better. :D

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »

I dont believe a direct translation of the word exists. The closest english word would be "to value". The first is a command to value. As an outward expression. The last is to hold dearly. An inward expression of value.

"To honour" seems to be a good and widespread translation, but my doubt is why both verb forms were used. My impression was almost the opposite of what you said: that the first example was a command to constantly honour everyone, while the second was a command to "pay honour" to the king.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
Purely stylistic ultimately. Avoiding exact repetition.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
Purely stylistic ultimately. Avoiding exact repetition.
Sure? That's quite possible, but the aorist gives a whole other conotation. The text could use a synonym for τιμάω in the same tense and it would be less repetitive and nuanced.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:27:57 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »

"To honour" seems to be a good and widespread translation, but my doubt is why both verb forms were used. My impression was almost the opposite of what you said: that the first example was a command to constantly honour everyone, while the second was a command to "pay honour" to the king.
Yeah. Honour. Is the widely used translation and it can be used just as you translated it.  Honour your loved brothers. Would be and outward expression of honour. Like treating them with respect.
Honour your king. Can be both outward or inward.