Author Topic: Can't Find The Exact Meaning of This Anywhere  (Read 205 times)

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
  • Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν ἡμᾶς
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Can't Find The Exact Meaning of This Anywhere
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
Hello,

Just looking for a quick translation of "δεύτε λαοί"

Can anyone give me a good translation of this? Everything I am finding just doesn't make sense.

Thank you!
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re: Can't Find The Exact Meaning of This Anywhere
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:00:09 PM »
Hello,

Just looking for a quick translation of "δεύτε λαοί"

Can anyone give me a good translation of this? Everything I am finding just doesn't make sense.

Thank you!

“Come, (O) people.”
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »
ευχαριστώ!

Now there is a YouTube video with the chant that I am referring to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8i0CYs-CM

You may have already seen it as it is pretty popular. (P.S. I didn't realize that the translation of the title is in the description of the video oops lol :P)

Does anyone happen to have the English translation of this? I have been listening to it for awhile but never found an English translation. It is very beautiful and it would be nice to know the words in my native tongue.

Thank you!
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Class warfare.

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
Look here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=17273.0

Thank you for this, but the video I provided is 9 minutes longer than the one in that old post that you are showing there. It has many more words than that video and from listening to the two, it even sounds like the lyrics are different (aside from the title "δεύτε λαοί"). So I am still looking for a translation for the video I provided.

Thank you for assisting though!

Offline brlon

• Faith: None
  • Jurisdiction: None
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 03:26:56 PM »
Text in English (and Slavonic (but in Russian characters)) of the canons for the feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos can be found in these webpages,

http://sergei.synology.me/text/readings-variables/NativityTheotokos_Monday_Vigil2015.pdf

published by Holy Protection Russian Orthodox Church, starting at page 13.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • saint basil fool for Christ pray to God for me
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Text in English (and Slavonic (but in Russian characters)) of the canons for the feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos can be found in these webpages,

http://sergei.synology.me/text/readings-variables/NativityTheotokos_Monday_Vigil2015.pdf

Glory to God, thanks!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:50:08 PM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »

Thank you so much brlon, that helps out a ton!!!

Now if only I could find a text that has the Greek lyrics as well, then I would be all set!

If anyone can find the Greek text for the canons of the feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos that would be absolutely outstanding!

Thanks to all who have contributed!

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Sorry to double post, but I think I found it!

https://akolouthies.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/2016-09-08_genethltheotokou-b.pdf

See page 4!

This is very exciting for me  ;D