Author Topic: Ethiopian/Eritrean Church relations  (Read 352 times)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
Ethiopian/Eritrean Church relations
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:02:15 AM »
Does anybody know the current situation between the Ethiopian and Eritrean churches? If so, are the two trying to resolve their issues with nationalism?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:10:43 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Ethiopian/Eritrean Church relations
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:00:39 AM »
The ambiguous situation and confusing information regarding the Eritrean Orthodox Church kinda reminds me what happened to the Russian Orthodox Church in the first years after the Revolution. I hope that, as for Russia, we eventually solve it out with the best parties.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:16 AM »
The ambiguous situation and confusing information regarding the Eritrean Orthodox Church kinda reminds me what happened to the Russian Orthodox Church in the first years after the Revolution. I hope that, as for Russia, we eventually solve it out with the best parties.

i agree
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:09:39 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
I was surprised to read that only 43.5% of the population of Ethiopia is Ethiopian Orthodox.  What is the attitude of the current government towards the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?  For example is the government  positive or neutral towards the church?

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »
I was surprised to read that only 43.5% of the population of Ethiopia is Ethiopian Orthodox.  What is the attitude of the current government towards the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?  For example is the government  positive or neutral towards the church?

I'd say for the most part it's neutral. Though the Government did intervene when Abune Takla was elevated as Patriarch.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »

government is neutral
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
Thank you.  I am glad to know that there is no persecution.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
The Amhara (and other ethnicies) are massively Orthodox, but not everyone in Ethiopia is Amhara, just like not everyone in the Russian Empire was Russian and not everyone in the Ottoman Empire was Turkish. Empire things.

Ethiopia is often listed as one of the countries that persecute Christians the most, but this is because they don't tolerate foreign missionaries. The Church of Christ is a-okay, both Ge'ez and Greek.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:10:10 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth