Author Topic: Institutional chaplaincy  (Read 212 times)

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
Institutional chaplaincy
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience with institutional chaplaincy — i.e. working in a pastoral role with people in prisons, hospitals, hospices, mental health facilities, high stress public sector jobs, etc.?

Though the input of clergy is appreciated, I'd like to hear about the experience from laymen as well. Gebre has mentioned his work in prisons before, and I wonder if anyone else has similar stories in their background.

Likewise, how does one go about getting certified to do that kind of work? I know the different settings might dictate different paths, but I assume there's some guidance toward an endorsement process beyond "get CPE hours."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
Re: Institutional chaplaincy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
 I wish!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
In Canada, it includes:
a) a theology degree
b) letter of approval from your church
c) completion of 4 required units of Clinical Pastoral Education.

Online Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
Does anyone here have any experience with institutional chaplaincy — i.e. working in a pastoral role with people in prisons, hospitals, hospices, mental health facilities, high stress public sector jobs, etc.?

Though the input of clergy is appreciated, I'd like to hear about the experience from laymen as well. Gebre has mentioned his work in prisons before, and I wonder if anyone else has similar stories in their background.

Likewise, how does one go about getting certified to do that kind of work? I know the different settings might dictate different paths, but I assume there's some guidance toward an endorsement process beyond "get CPE hours."

My sister and brother-in-law are hospital chaplains.

Certification and endorsement are two different processes.  CPE is the way to go for certification (although there are other parallel programs for those who feel that the CPE program is too ecumenical for their preferences).  Endorsement by a local jurisdiction (speaking for the Orthodox) will include CPE, verification of employment at an appropriate facility / program, recommendations from the local priest and hierarch. 

There are overseers for institutional chaplaincy (Met. Nicholas of Detroit is the one for the GOA handling medical; Met. Isaiah handles (handled?) military chaplains) who then review the applications based on (a) jurisdiction's internal regs, and (b) appropriate state/local statutes, and then authorize the commissioning (which finalizes the endorsement). 

Commissioning can take place at the end of Liturgy or outside it, takes 2-3 minutes.
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam