Author Topic: Papyrus with alternate story of Abraham and Isaac found  (Read 549 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Papyrus with alternate story of Abraham and Isaac found
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/304-1807/from-the-trenches/6694-trenches-egypt-lisht-papyrus-prayer

An 'alternate version' of the Abraham and Isaac story has been translated. It was discovered in 1934. It posits that Abraham went ahead and sacrificed Isaac.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:25:46 PM by biro »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: Papyrus with alternate story of Abraham and Isaac found
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:07:05 PM »
What a supposition.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Been there, done that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:16:49 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:26:49 AM »
The fact there's a prayer from Seth makes it almost certain this was a Gnostic group practicing the spiritual Anti-Semitism that characterised most of their sects. Some of them stressed the sacrificial aspects of the Hebrew religion, and therefore villanised the priesthood.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:27:57 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:02:30 AM »
The fact there's a prayer from Seth makes it almost certain this was a Gnostic group practicing the spiritual Anti-Semitism that characterised most of their sects. Some of them stressed the sacrificial aspects of the Hebrew religion, and therefore villanised the priesthood.

That makes a lot of sense.

It's always strange to me that so many Gnostics latched on to Seth.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »

yeah weird why did they latch on to seth!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

Cain isn’t exactly a hero and Abel’s dead?

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »

right! sorry, big man!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »
Some of them kinda had Cain for a hero...  :-\  The great but unfortunately terribly misguided writer Hermann Hesse brought this conception back in his novel Demian. Good book, but I prefer Steppenwolf: deeper, more mature, less Gnostic and gave an awesome band their name.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
Quote from: that Mor Ephrem guy

right! sorry, big man!

Wow, insulting him to his face?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:09:21 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
Quote from: that Mor Ephrem guy

right! sorry, big man!

Wow, insulting him to his face?

aye, he thinks he's proper solid!

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »

Well, I mean it's interesting to me that so many Gnostics would put so much emphasis on one of them at all. Maybe it's just because Seth was the replacement child for the first couple, and I guess that is kind of interesting.

Though if I were to go digging for esoterica in Genesis, I would be more interested in Enosh personally ("men began to call upon the name of the Lord").
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 09:29:07 PM »

Well, I mean it's interesting to me that so many Gnostics would put so much emphasis on one of them at all. Maybe it's just because Seth was the replacement child for the first couple, and I guess that is kind of interesting.

Though if I were to go digging for esoterica in Genesis, I would be more interested in Enosh personally ("men began to call upon the name of the Lord").
...even though Eve was the first to call upon the name of the LORD.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »

...even though Eve was the first to call upon the name of the LORD.

Yeah, it's a pretty weird line. There's a lot of Rabbinical stuff trying to reconcile the two, IIRC.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 12:16:26 AM »
I don't see any contradiction, even in English the verb "to begin" can denote the beginning of a process even if it wasn't the first time it happened.

Offline HardHead

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
An 'alternate version' of the Abraham and Isaac story has been translated. It was discovered in 1934. It posits that Abraham went ahead and sacrificed Isaac.

This may indeed be a new translation or discovery but it may not be so unusual. Have a look here.

https://bustedhalo.com/questionbox/are-there-other-versions-of-the-abraham-and-isaac-story-where-abraham-actually-kills-isaac

"Still, other lesser-known alternative endings cropped up outside of the biblical literature in Jewish midrash — commentaries or interpretations of biblical stories usually written by rabbis in the first 10 centuries. In one such midrash, Isaac was wounded when Abraham began the sacrificial act. Isaac was then carried to Paradise where he remained for three years while he healed. In another story, Isaac literally died of fright while he was bound upon the altar and his soul flew out of him before Yahweh restored it to him with dewdrops for the Resurrection of the dead. In yet another one, Isaac’s body was reduced to ash on the sacrificial pyre and the Holy One again revived him with life-giving dew."