Author Topic: Fr. Nicholas King LXX translation  (Read 320 times)

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Fr. Nicholas King LXX translation
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:49:03 PM »
I bought this recently and it just came in the mail. I got the whole Bible, although I mainly bought it for the Old Testament which Fr. Nicholas translated from the LXX. Fr. Nicholas is the Roman Catholic chaplain at Oxford. (Interestingly, I'm pretty sure the last guy to singlehandedly translate the Bible was Fr. Ronald Knox, also the RC chaplain at Oxford.) Here are my initial impressions of the book.

What I like:
- The OT is translated from the LXX.
- The OT is written with each verse as one paragraph, a format I love.
- Psalm 151 is included, as is most of the deuterocanon.

What I don't really like:
- The NT is formatted with verse numbers like "1-6" then some text, "7-38" then some more text. No individual verse numbers.
- Only the Roman Catholic deuterocanonical books are included.
- The book itself is just big enough to be an awkward size, and the margins are huge. It could've been quite a bit smaller.
- It's only sold in England and shipping to the US is a little pricey.

The New Testament looks like it's missing the a handful of verses that are in the KJV but not in modern English Bibles. I don't know that this really matters, but it's worth mentioning.

I started on Genesis today and I'll update you guys with my impressions as I finish each book.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Fr. Nicholas King LXX translation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Wow, thanks, had no idea this version existed. Recovered Michael Asser's Bible today earlier from the Wayback Machine, since it had been taken down apparently.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
- The NT is formatted with verse numbers like "1-6" then some text, "7-38" then some more text. No individual verse numbers.
To each their own. If you've got to have versification, as a familiar Bible reader I prefer something like that.

The New Testament looks like it's missing the a handful of verses that are in the KJV but not in modern English Bibles. I don't know that this really matters, but it's worth mentioning.
It means he's probably working with a better majority text.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
- It's only sold in England and shipping to the US is a little pricey.

LOL. I googled it and the result I found had a financing option.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
 :laugh:
LOL. I googled it and the result I found had a financing option.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
 I personally kinda like the sound of this bible :)
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Sounds very interesting. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. I saw someone commenting somewhere that he uses "creepy-crawlies" in the opening to Genesis, which I for some reason love.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
Wow, thanks, had no idea this version existed. Recovered Michael Asser's Bible today earlier from the Wayback Machine, since it had been taken down apparently.
Yeah, that's no longer *supposed* to be free as someone mentioned it's on lulu now, though obviously there are loopholes.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
if its Septuagint OT and Byzantine or Slavic NT then its good!  ;)
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
Sounds very interesting. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. I saw someone commenting somewhere that he uses "creepy-crawlies" in the opening to Genesis, which I for some reason love.

I must go listen to Boris the Spider now.

Offline platypus

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:46 PM »

He uses the phrase quite a bit.

Genesis 1:26 in Fr. Nicholas' translation:
"And God said, 'Let us make humanity according to our image, and according to our likeness. And let them rule over the fishes of the sea, and the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the earth and all the creepy-crawlies that crawl upon the earth."

Asser has:
"And God said, Let Us make man according to Our image and according to Our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the heaven, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over all the creeping things that creep upon the earth."

I didn't catch the word "humanity" until I was typing this. It makes sense in this context, but I really hope "Son of Man" later in the OT doesn't turn into "human child" or something like that.

Yeah, that's no longer *supposed* to be free as someone mentioned it's on lulu now, though obviously there are loopholes.

I wish he'd print it in one volume. I wonder why he hasn't?

I was going to buy Asser's but it's printed across 5 seperate volumes and ended up being more expensive than getting Fr. Nicholas' single-volume Bible from England. Now that I think about it, though, I don't really need my whole Bible in one volume. It's not like I'll ever be reading the whole thing in a day...

I have an old PDF copy although it's entirely too long to easily search or scroll through. First world problems.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 12:20:59 AM »
Whoops... That's fair. They should ask removal from Wayback Machine, in that case.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline platypus

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
Finished Genesis today. It was a pretty smooth read. In a few places Fr. Nicholas uses distinctly British english, such as the word "chap" instead of "man", but on the whole it flowed pretty well.

One thing I thought was interesting was his translation of Genesis 2:17. Fr. Nicholas writes, "but from the tree of knowing good and evil you shall not eat; on the day when you (plur.) eat of it, you (plur.) shall die the death."

Asser has "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, ye shall not eat of it; but in whatsoever day ye shall eat thereof, by death shall ye die."

I never thought about it much before, but the move to modern english means that in order to distinguish between you singular and you plural, one actually has to write it out, as Fr. Nicholas does. Unless you want to use "y'all" for you plural, which is probably fine for a study bible but might be inappropriate for liturgical use.

All in all, I enjoyed the translation of Genesis and found it to be very readable. The footnotes were excellent, mostly comments about the translation or to identify parts of the text not found in the Masoretic Text. I appreciated the lack of doctrinal commentary.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
Finished Genesis today. It was a pretty smooth read. In a few places Fr. Nicholas uses distinctly British english, such as the word "chap" instead of "man", but on the whole it flowed pretty well.

One thing I thought was interesting was his translation of Genesis 2:17. Fr. Nicholas writes, "but from the tree of knowing good and evil you shall not eat; on the day when you (plur.) eat of it, you (plur.) shall die the death."

Asser has "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, ye shall not eat of it; but in whatsoever day ye shall eat thereof, by death shall ye die."

I never thought about it much before, but the move to modern english means that in order to distinguish between you singular and you plural, one actually has to write it out, as Fr. Nicholas does. Unless you want to use "y'all" for you plural, which is probably fine for a study bible but might be inappropriate for liturgical use.

All in all, I enjoyed the translation of Genesis and found it to be very readable. The footnotes were excellent, mostly comments about the translation or to identify parts of the text not found in the Masoretic Text. I appreciated the lack of doctrinal commentary.

this bible sound interesting i don't always agree with the word choice but the study notes sound quite nice