Author Topic: Does your parish have outdoor processions?  (Read 801 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Does your parish have outdoor processions?
« on: June 16, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »
There are lots of processions indicated in the rubrics for major feasts including Theophany and Great Friday.  Typically, whenever one of these processions is called for, we just parade around the nave a few times.  I'm just curious if any of your parishes will have processions for special occasions in which you go out of doors, maybe around your neighborhoods or even on main streets to commemorate major and/or patronal feasts. 

My own parish is couched inside a residential neighborhood and I really doubt most people in the neighborhood know we're there or who we are (major evangelization fail on our part, IMHO) but it's isolated enough that should we do something like this, we wouldn't be blocking any major roads.  I don't know if the people of my parish would go along with this and I doubt my priest would, but I don't think it would hurt and maybe it would be a way (not necessarily a great way) just to let people in the neighborhood that we are here.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Does your parish have outdoor processions?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
There is procession around our parish church or across our cemetary (that's the biggest Orthodox cemetary in Poland). It's done on Paschal Night (after the nocturn) and Paschal Vespers of Sunday afternoon, Paschal Monday (after Liturgy), Sundays of the period of Pascha (after Liturgy), Sunday of the All Saints (after Liturgy), night of the Great Friday/Great Saturday (with epitaphios, the end of the Matins), 1st November (Catholic All Saints feast that's very important in Poland). As our main parish feast falls on 4th Sunday of the Great Lent (st. John Climacus) we don't have procession then, but we have a big one on Antipascha Sunday that's our second parish feast.

At some other parishes in Poland, including Warsaw, there are also processions for Theophany, a feast of certain, local icon.

Foot pilgrimages (that are common here) are a type of procession too. Especially the ones that are only a few kilometres, so they're more big processions than real pilgrimages.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
There are lots of processions indicated in the rubrics for major feasts including Theophany and Great Friday.  Typically, whenever one of these processions is called for, we just parade around the nave a few times.  I'm just curious if any of your parishes will have processions for special occasions in which you go out of doors, maybe around your neighborhoods or even on main streets to commemorate major and/or patronal feasts. 

My own parish is couched inside a residential neighborhood and I really doubt most people in the neighborhood know we're there or who we are (major evangelization fail on our part, IMHO) but it's isolated enough that should we do something like this, we wouldn't be blocking any major roads.  I don't know if the people of my parish would go along with this and I doubt my priest would, but I don't think it would hurt and maybe it would be a way (not necessarily a great way) just to let people in the neighborhood that we are here.
Nebraska isn’t the Byzantine hinterland exactly. Outdoor processions are common in Orthodox countries. Good Friday, Easter, Easter Monday, Thomas Subday, Ascension, Pentecost and Dormition all had sone sort of outdoor processions  back in my hometown .
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
Oh, I've forgotten about eve of the Dormition  - there's also a procession. I wish we had processions for Sunday of Orthodoxy and Palm Sunday since the should be so colorful and we don't have any procession for these occassions even inside the church.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
We have outdoor processions for the usual feasts and also bless the water outside for Epiphany & bless the Easter Baskets outside at Easter. 

However, for a procession in the neighbourhood a "parade" permit is required & I am not sure exactly what is involved for that and if parades in residential neighbourhoods for example are not permitted.  Usually parades are limited to major streets.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
we process around the outside of our parish for most of these.....

I guess WA state is no nebraska...;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
My Antiochian parish has processions around its copious parking lot on Palm Sunday, Holy Saturday Matins with the epitaphios and the Pascha Rush Service.   There is a procession to the adjacent cemetery on Bright Monday for the Blessing of the Graves.

The former St. Thekla Convent in Glenville had a large pond with a dock which extended perpendicularly from the shoreline, so a procession was held on Theophany to the dock for the Blessing of the Waters...twice during falling snow.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
Yes, but only in the church's yard. It's large and the way from it to the street is a very narrow staircase, so it'd be very impractical to actually get outside.

Last Sunday of Orthodoxy:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:04:39 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Only for Easter night. Even the Sunday of Orthodoxy one is inside and -- get this -- "for the kids".  ::)
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:22:07 AM »
Of the two dozen or so Orthodox churches where I live, about half are Greek. Most of them are on a block which includes one or more main roads. The Great Friday evening processions with the Epitaphios go around the block, with hundreds of people participating. Police are on duty to direct traffic. This has been so for several decades.

Another, Slavic, church had to relocate several years ago, to a new building as the old church had to make way for a major building project. The clergy and people held a procession along the main road on which the new church was located, chanting and singing. Clergy were vested, censers were swung, the people carried banners, icons, and other items to be used in the new church. Quite a sight.  :)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:05:26 AM »
From Pascha until Ascension every Sunday but only on church grounds. Otherwise only on special occasions. For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:32:15 AM »
There are the regular kind of processions around the outside of the cathedral in Oulu on certain holidays, but last month as part of the congregation's 60th anniversary we processed to the town marketplace, where Met. Elia blessed the waters. If you look quickly, you may be still be able to see 3 photos of the event on the church's webpage:
http://www.oulunortodoksinenseurakunta.fi/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:32:53 AM by FinnJames »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.

Any pics, video?

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »
Yes, a culdesac church with enough room to march around.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.

Any pics, video?

There are a few pictures in this blog:

https://simeonjahanna.com/2015/03/01/mellunmaen-kappeli-helsingissa-sulki-ovensa-muutto-myllypuroon-alkoi/

The blog is obviously in Finnish but you could try to run it through Google translate. It makes fairly decent job in translating things into English at least. No idea on it's Polish skills.

For those curious about the buildings, neither the previous building or the present building are actual purpose-built church buildings. Not sure what they actually are but I'm guessing kind of a mall or a community center in which the chapel is located. There are no actual churches in that part of the city.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:14:35 PM by Alpo »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »

Any pics, video?

There are a few pictures in this blog:

https://simeonjahanna.com/2015/03/01/mellunmaen-kappeli-helsingissa-sulki-ovensa-muutto-myllypuroon-alkoi/

The blog is obviously in Finnish but you could try to run it through Google translate. It makes fairly decent job in translating things into English at least. No idea on it's Polish skills.

For those curious about the buildings, neither the previous building or the present building are actual purpose-built church buildings. Not sure what they actually are but I'm guessing kind of a mall or a community center in which the chapel is located. There are no actual churches in that part of the city.

Wow, thank you! It's very interesting.
Google Translate doesn't work well with Polish, but you can catch the main idea. But sometimes it's really funny. Some examples from this article (not counting grammar erros that are difficult to show in English):

Było sto modlitw na liturgię pożegnalną. Nauczycielka Jyrki Penttonen, kapłan w Centrum Akcji, słuchała łez w oczach. - "There were 100 prayers at farewell Liturgy. Teacher (female), Jyrki Penttonen, priest (male) in the Centre of Action, was listening to tears in eyes".

Po liturgii kaplice rozkoszowały się kaplicami. - "After the liturgy chapels were delighting with chapels".

Ponad sześćdziesiąt osób uczestniczyło w poprzeczce. - "Over sixty persons were participating in the crossbar"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
No idea of the Polish but the English seems perfectly understandable. Grammar is IMO irrelevant if it gets the message through.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
sorry just passing thru!

Gospodi Pomului!

Kyrie Eleison!

Lord have mercy!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:22 PM »
There are the regular kind of processions around the outside of the cathedral in Oulu on certain holidays, but last month as part of the congregation's 60th anniversary we processed to the town marketplace, where Met. Elia blessed the waters. If you look quickly, you may be still be able to see 3 photos of the event on the church's webpage:
These elderly ladies are my animal spirit:

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:03 AM »
^Evangelism Orthodox style. Thousands around them are being saved.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »
These elderly ladies are my animal spirit:

bringing the faith to the train!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
Yes definitely time in the Woods
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
We usually process around the block if the weather cooperates.
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
  • Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν ἡμᾶς
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 12:13:25 AM »
Yes, we have processions outside the Church and in neighboring areas.
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
I love the Outdoors
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary