Author Topic: Separate communion  (Read 200 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Separate communion
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
A comment in another thread made me remember a question I was going to throw in here. It seems my church used to give the body and the blood separately until years ago, Coptic-style. How common is this in Eastern Orthodoxy?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Separate communion
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
This is done only when serving the Divine Liturgy of St. James, which sees very limited use.

Generally it is only served on the Feast of St. James (October 23) and then, only in churches dedicated to him.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
This is done only when serving the Divine Liturgy of St. James, which sees very limited use.

Generally it is only served on the Feast of St. James (October 23)
And in some cases also on the Sunday after Nativity.

and then, only in churches dedicated to him.
Not true (at least for Poland, Bulgaria and Arabic countries) - it's served in churches with various patrons.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

Generally it is only served on the Feast of St. James (October 23) and then, only in churches dedicated to him.

Not so. THe Liturgy of St. James is used extensively in the Jerusalem Patriarchate on his feast day as well as on Mt. Athos.  Even some parishes have used his liturgy on this feast day. 
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.