Author Topic: Corpus Christi procession held downtown by St. Benedict Orthodox Church  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
A Wichita Falls church took time out on Sunday afternoon to pray for America.

A religious procession was held Sunday in Park Central at 815 Scott Avenue by the St. Benedict Orthodox Church.

The group walked around the block praying a litany and carrying the Eucharist before returning to Park Central to receive the Blessed Benediction and pray a petition for our country – the same prayer given at the inauguration of President George Washington.

The whole article

Photos from another year

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
I was not aware that Western Orthodox use unleavened hosts and have Eucharistic Adoration.
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
 :o
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I was not aware that Western Orthodox use unleavened hosts and have Eucharistic Adoration.
No, they're leavened, they're just round and thin.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Kierkegaardian absurdity
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
There are some explanations on how the Corpus Christi feast, with processions and exposition of the Holy Gifts, can be considered Orthodox over on Orthodox West. It may exist more in the Antiochian Western Rite than the ROCOR one though.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
There are some explanations on how the Corpus Christi feast, with processions and exposition of the Holy Gifts, can be considered Orthodox over on Orthodox West. It may exist more in the Antiochian Western Rite than the ROCOR one though.

As far as I know, the ROCOR Church doesn't have the Corpus Christi feast on it's calendar.
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/144b2c_2e60d4a979384f8990a325e447bff7d5.pdf

while in Antioch, Corpus Christi is an official feast.
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.stgregoryoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-Calendar-condensed.pdf

Didn't I already bring this up as a point of concern before with no response that shared my concern?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:05:06 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru

Leaven is mandated and intinction of some variety is also mandated, but it varies from Church to Church - some put in almost no leaven such that the host is almost completely white, like here, while some make it similar to a typical Eastern Rite Church (http://www.stgregoryoc.org/instructions-for-making-holy-bread/)

and when it comes to intinction, some do it Maronite style where the priest holds both the Blood and the Body and dips the Body and the Blood, while in some practices (at least from what I read online), they put a little bit of wine on the hosts before consecration and only serve the hosts, such that both the Body and the Blood is both served.
I'm done.

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
As far as I know, the ROCOR Church doesn't have the Corpus Christi feast on it's calendar.

The monastery in Niagara Falls at least used to have it, the same some other parishes, I don't know what's the current practice.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City

Leaven is mandated and intinction of some variety is also mandated, but it varies from Church to Church - some put in almost no leaven such that the host is almost completely white, like here, while some make it similar to a typical Eastern Rite Church (http://www.stgregoryoc.org/instructions-for-making-holy-bread/)

and when it comes to intinction, some do it Maronite style where the priest holds both the Blood and the Body and dips the Body and the Blood, while in some practices (at least from what I read online), they put a little bit of wine on the hosts before consecration and only serve the hosts, such that both the Body and the Blood is both served.
Very interesting.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
Also forgot to mention some do distribute both separately. I know that Saint John the Wonderworker in Iowa does this.
I'm done.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox

while in Antioch, Corpus Christi is an official feast.
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.stgregoryoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-Calendar-condensed.pdf

Didn't I already bring this up as a point of concern before with no response that shared my concern?

I don’t see that as a valid concern.   ROCOR has a more extreme approach to the Western Rite; previously they had tolerated Corpus Christi a bit under HG Jerome Shaw, but then an unfortunate incident occurred where he ordained multiple clergy on that day contrary to the wishes of his brethren in the Holy Synod, and he and Archpriest Anthony Bondi were required to retire, but not deposed, the Holy Synod further vowing to more closely integrate the two rites.   There was a concern the ROCOR Western Rite would go away, but that hasn’t happened, there has been some growth, and the community seems very happy being directly under the omophorion of Metropolitan Hilarion the First Hierarch of ROCOR, who is by all accounts a loving man. 

Even before that, many in the ROCOR WRV favoured what I would call a “reversionary approach” that sought to turn the clock back to the pre-schism period in the West, liturgically; some mocked people of this desire for “liturgical archaeology,” but a lot of the work done, such as the book Orthodox Prayers of Old England by Fr. Aidan Keller, I personally liked a great deal. 

The AWRV is much closer to modern day Catholic and Anglican practice; their St. Andrew’s Service Book is much closer to being a corrected hybrid of a 1928 BCP and an English translation of the Roman Missal (like the English Missal, which was directly that, and which was used by some Anglo Catholics following its publication in 1915, of the ultra high church variety, some of whom separated from the Episcopal Church and then later, in the late 1940s, joined the Antiochian Church, leading to the foundation of the AWRV).

In the ecumenical dialogue between the Orthodox and Catholics, neither the feast of Corpus Christi nor the use of unleavened bread have been hot-button issues.  The bones of contention have been lined with the tough and unpleasant meat of the filioque, Papal supremacy, particularly the Vatican I declaration, the status of the Eastern Catholic churches, the existence of which, not unjustifiably, unnerves, threatens and annoys some Orthodox jurisdictions, and related issues.

Also the Armenian Apostolic Church, which is Oriental Orthodox, has always used unleavend bread and straight wine, most likely before the West adopted these practices, and the Orthodoxy of this church is unquestioned within the OO community. 

My view is that, in light of the current ecumenical movement which is leading the EO and OO towards a restoration of full communion, and which has already produced situations of limited inter-communion, the Armenian use of unleavened bread should serve as complete justification for the use of unleavened bread by the EO WRV if those parishes desire it; the controversy over leavening in the bread was, like the facial hair controversy, a ridiculous polemical exchange (and nowadays there are traditional Latin mass community Catholics with beards; in fact, the traditionalist monastery of St. Benedict in Norcia just received a vocation, when a novice with a beautiful beard that would not look out of place on an Old Rite Russian Orthodox priest, professed his final vows).  These polemical controversies arose in the period following the initial filioque schism and the actions of St. Photius the Great, and the subsequent Roman volte-face, when tensions between the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics eventually caused the break in communion, but before the Filioque controversy, the Romans had clean shaven clergy, and there were no objections to this AFAIK.

I recently read of an early Roman pontitical (a bishop’s Euchologion) which in fact had a ceremony for solemnly shaving the beard of someone being consecrated to monasticism or receiving Holy Orders.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
In order to not create separate thread: yesterday's Vespers and Mass of Corpus Christi feast at st. Patrick parish, WRO under Antioch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfemFcknaZg