OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The calendar question  (Read 1118 times) Average Rating: 0
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« on: October 21, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »

As far as I have understood, there are different traditions concerning the calendar in orthodox churches. Most common is the old Julian one, or what?
The Finnish orthodox church follows the gregorian one as does the luttheran and catholic churches. So there three churches are calebrating for instance the easter in the very same day.
Is the Finnish orthodox church a rare exeption in the orthodox tradition?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:21:58 AM by Krysostomos » Logged

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 09:28:25 AM »

As far as I have understood, there are different traditions concerning the calendar in orthodox churches. Most common is the old Julian one, or what?
The Finnish orthodox church follows the gregorian one as does the luttheran and catholic churches. So there three churches are calebrating for instance the easter in the very same day.
Is the Finnish orthodox church a rare exeption in the orthodox tradition?

To my knowledge the Finnish church is the only Orthodox Church that uses the Gregorian paschalion, the New Calendar churches, such as my own, using the New Calendar only for the fixed dates.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 02:32:41 PM »

If I remember correctly Romania used the Gregorian Paschalion in 1926 and 1929 which only led more to the Romanian "Old" Calendarist movement. It is sad that the Finnish church is forced by their government to celebrate Pascha on the wrong date. We cannot forget that the Holy Fire only appears on the true Pascha not Pope Gregory XIII's.

Eventually the New Calendar jurisdictions will have to return to the Julian Calendar or realize the aims of Patriarch Meletios,whom some consider a heresiarch, and lead countless souls into perdition.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 01:23:07 AM by Sabbas » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 02:46:43 PM »

OK-- the calendar question has come up again, and it has only taken THREE messages for some to bring up the "H" word.

Incoming petunias!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 04:07:45 PM »

I think since I recently chided GreekisChristian for calling Old Calendarists schismatics it would only be fair to ask you Sabbas to not refer to a former patriarch of the Orthodox Church as a heresiarch in such a dismissive way (even though I personally agree with you).  Perhaps you could edit your post to just say "Patriarch Meletios, whom some consider a heresiarch."  I know it's more wordy but given that this is a "pan-Orthodox" forum and different Orthodox have different feelings about this individual, it would be better to have a debate on his actions than turn it into a polemical fight about name-calling (which is what usually happens on this board in such cases).

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 01:17:38 AM »

I go away for 6 months and then come back to find you guys STILL BATTING THIS CALENDAR THING AROUND?Huh!!!!!  Man.  Sorry, but really, this thing has been debated into the ground. 

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:34:18 AM »

[quote author=ओनास्टासियोस link=topic=7398.msg96324#msg96324 date=1129925265]
I think since I recently chided GreekisChristian for calling Old Calendarists schismatics it would only be fair to ask you Sabbas to not refer to a former patriarch of the Orthodox Church as a heresiarch in such a dismissive way (even though I personally agree with you). Perhaps you could edit your post to just say "Patriarch Meletios, whom some consider a heresiarch." I know it's more wordy but given that this is a "pan-Orthodox" forum and different Orthodox have different feelings about this individual, it would be better to have a debate on his actions than turn it into a polemical fight about name-calling (which is what usually happens on this board in such cases).

Anastasios
[/quote]

Sorry for throwing that word out there. Perhaps it would be better to have a discussion in which the evidence that Patriarch Meletios not only bribed his way into getting the Patriarchate but that he was a Freemason who hated the Church. But then I can only imagaine that such a discussion would devolve as all previous discussions on the "Calendar question" have in the past as you mentioned.

Krysostomos I think you will be amazed to learn that Patriarch Damianos of Jerusalem actually kicked him out of his jurisdiction for "actions against the Church of the Holy Resurrection." You may  be even more suprised to learn that Patriarch Damianos met with the Romanian Old Calendarist St.Glicherie and gave him chrism, as at the time the Romanians Old Calendarist movement had no bishops, to continue the struggle against the Gregorian calendar instituted by Patriarch Meletios.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: